• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Craig's Craftex CX706 Comes Clean

So I made the picked up my purchases from the border today. As a bonus, the alignment bar from India was waiting at my door when I arrived home. The haul:

View attachment 23919

The AXA QCTP set is from Precision Matthews as well as the live centre. What I liked about their QCTP set is that it DOESN'T include a useless bump knuler and a next-to-useless angled parting tool. It does come with 4 tool holders: 2 with and 2 without the bottom groove for boring bars. I added another 4 tool holders to the purchase. Per usable tool holder, I think the PM price compares quite favourably with other sources.

The alignment bar is from India via Amazon.ca:

Looks and feels nicely finished to me. More on it later, I guess.

Crossing the borders -- this was my first jaunt across the US border since before the pandemic started. I crossed at the Queeston-Lewiston bridge. Going into the US, I told the agent that I was picking up a package at UPS in Lewistown. He was obviously well familar with the routine because he asked me if it was an eBay purchase! In addition to a couple of other quick questions, he did ask me for proof of vaccination. I had printed this out earlier and held it up. He didn't scan the QR code or even examine the page in any detail before he waved me through.

Before my trip, I downloaded the ArriveCAN app for my phone and filled out/uploaded my passport and vaccine information. On crossing the border back into Canada, the agent took my passport but never asked about ArriveCAN. I declared the stuff I was bringing back and he gave me the usual instructions on where to go to pay the HST. There was no wait inside at the counters and I paid the amount owed and was on my way in a few minutes. No questions about Covid whatsoever. Just wanted to relate my experience. Who knows what might happen at another pair of border stations!

Craig
I have to smile as this looks like all the other AXA hardware. I think they all come from the same source branded accordingly.

Good thing is the holders are interchangable.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is mine its 9/16 as well. I used the old tool post to make smaller temp post then built this one, lots of on and off with the compound but a fun project happy with the end result.

Attachments

• IMG_5408.JPG
    IMG_5408.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5409.JPG
    IMG_5409.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5410.JPG
    IMG_5410.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5411.JPG
    IMG_5411.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 14

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Got my CX706 uncrated yesterday, first impression on the crate was....oh crap. It is very generous to call this stuff plywood. Once i got the crap off i wanted to check the voltage requirement, states 220 only, look at the plug they supply and it is a standard 110 plug. What bull crap is that, had to go to city today so i picked up some 220 plugs. No point in wrecking something trying to run the motor with improper voltage.
Didn't take my daughter and myself long to wrangle the crate downstairs, used 2x8's on the stairs and the winch on the polaris to lower it down. Pallet forks on the skid steer were great to set crate on the deck. Machine looks ok so far, now to get it up on a bench and start cleaning.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Once i got the crap off i wanted to check the voltage requirement, states 220 only, look at the plug they supply and it is a standard 110 plug. What bull crap is that, had to go to city today so i picked up some 220 plugs. No point in wrecking something trying to run the motor with improper voltage.

I'd be real careful about that if I were you. It might well be 110. If you hook 110 to 220, you could easily fry the motor. I'd check the wiring really carefully first.

To be honest, failing that, if it has a 110 plug on it now, I'd try that first. It's much less likely to fry if it's incorrectly hooked to 110 than to 220.

It may have been built with 220, and rewired to 110 by the previous owner who didn't remove the tag.

Many lathes that size can be wired either way but usually come pre-wired one way or the other.

There is usually a wiring diagram right on the motor someplace.

DHHok

Got my CX706 uncrated yesterday, first impression on the crate was....oh crap. It is very generous to call this stuff plywood. Once i got the crap off i wanted to check the voltage requirement, states 220 only, look at the plug they supply and it is a standard 110 plug. What bull crap is that, had to go to city today so i picked up some 220 plugs. No point in wrecking something trying to run the motor with improper voltage.
My 709 said the same thing. 220v. Trust me, it's 120v. Don't rewire for 220.

Didn't take my daughter and myself long to wrangle the crate downstairs, used 2x8's on the stairs and the winch on the polaris to lower it down. Pallet forks on the skid steer were great to set crate on the deck. Machine looks ok so far, now to get it up on a bench and start cleaning.
I just checked on the BB site and it says 110V 11amps, if you got it new in the crate the plug and wiring are tested at BB for the CSA electrical inspection (little red sticker near the motor controller at the rear of the machine as they approved here under an exception approval).

Last edited:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On page 20 of the manual it says "the lathe is rated at 750w, 1ph, 230v only." also on BB web site under description for the machine it says 230v as well. Hence my confusion over the 110v plug. I am very sure 110volts is plenty adequate for a 750 watt motor, 230 isn't needed. I haven't got the machine up off the floor to check the motor plate, today it will happen.
Much easier for me if i don't have to wire in a 220v plug, my breaker box is just about full now. 110v it will be.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On page 20 of the manual it says "the lathe is rated at 750w, 1ph, 230v only." also on BB web site under description for the machine it says 230v as well. Hence my confusion over the 110v plug. I am very sure 110volts is plenty adequate for a 750 watt motor, 230 isn't needed. I haven't got the machine up off the floor to check the motor plate, today it will happen.
Much easier for me if i don't have to wire in a 220v plug, my breaker box is just about full now. 110v it will be.

750 Watts is only 6-1/4 amps at 120V. Won't be an issue at all. I sure as heck wouldn't bother running 220 for that.

In fact, if it turned out that it really is wired for 230, I'd prolly reconfigure it for 120 just for the convenience assuming that is possible.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I need to get it up off the floor so i can get a good look at things. My knees do not react well to being on hard surfaces, or soft surfaces, plus i need something to help me get upright again.

trlvn

Ultra Member
On page 20 of the manual it says "the lathe is rated at 750w, 1ph, 230v only." also on BB web site under description for the machine it says 230v as well.
You're right that both the printed manual and the pdf from Busybee's website do say 230V. I don't see it on the web site, though. On the CX706 page, it says:

SPECIFICATIONS

Motor: 1 HP, 110V

BTW, there was a packing list stapled to the crate that mine came in. The "Remark" line also specifies 110V:

CS706 Crate packing label.png

This same basic machine gets sold in various markets around the world. In a bunch of those places, 230V (mostly 50Hz) is the standard wall outlet voltage. My guess is that Busybee hasn't done a good job of correcting the details of the manual*. Precision Matthews supplies a better manual with their 10 inch machines that shows the source as "110Vac".

Finally, there is a mini wiring diagram label on the back of my headstock that also says "AC110V".

Craig
* I'm sure that if you point out the discrepancy to Busybee, they'll leap into action to get it fixed! ;)

See my comments on the CX707 and downloading manuals from other sources for near similar products. PM actual shows the cost (retail) for some of the upgrades. While BB is Canadian there are days I'd wish they get their act together in terms of manuals and product options.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
See my comments on the CX707 and downloading manuals from other sources for near similar products. PM actual shows the cost (retail) for some of the upgrades. While BB is Canadian there are days I'd wish they get their act together in terms of manuals and product options.

I couldn't agree more, BB sucks big time.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Got the lathe up where i can work on things and clean, motor says 110v. it runs!!! May have to upgrade my toolbox/stand it's on. Got it where i want it now to get the casters off and solidly on the floor. That wee little chuck sure looks small compared to the big one on my shop lathe. :)

trlvn

Ultra Member
Chips, we have chips!

I finally got lathe pretty well cleaned up and lubricated, bolted to the bench and it was time to have at it. The first thing I want to do is get the quick change tool post mounted. I need a bigger, longer bolt for that so I decided to start with 5 inch 9/16-18. The idea is to turn the head down to fit in through the compound like the original:

IMG_4583 first chips.jpg

All I could get was a Grade 8 bolt and the interrupted cut seems to have knocked the cutting edge off my tool bit. And what a pain finding shims to get it close to centre height. Now I need to dig out the grinder and refresh the cutter. Then finish reducing the head thickness and turn it to the right diameter.

Still...CHIPS!!

Craig

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
…I'm also debating about changing the oil in the headstock and apron. Now or wait until I've used it for a few months?…
I changed the oil in my PM-1224T when I got it:
- to move it into the basement.
- it stunk and I didn’t want to antagonize my wife any further.
- there were some metal particles in the bottom of the headstock
- a friend said he’d done that with his new lathes.

After I did the run-in (10 minutes on each of the gears) there were very little metal particles on the magnets I’d put at the bottom of the headstock. I’ve run it for a few hours now, playing, so it probably will be ready for an oil change before winter.

Glad you got it successfully into the basement. Getting a 700lb lathe into the basement was a treat…

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
The AXA QCTP set is from Precision Matthews as well as the live centre. What I liked about their QCTP set is that it DOESN'T include a useless bump knuler and a next-to-useless angled parting tool.
My PM BXA set came with the useless bump knurler and the parting blade holder.

The bump knurler is a total piece of garbage, my lathe was not happy at all when I tried it. I wonder if I can modify it to hold a graving rest?

The parting blade holder seems to work ok though.