• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Craig's Craftex CX706 Comes Clean

trlvn

Ultra Member
Some of you may remember that I started searching seriously for a new lathe in the 10-11" swing range a couple of months ago:

I'm happy to report that my new Craftex CX706 10 X 22 lathe arrived safely this week. At Busybee in Mississauga, they forklifted it into the van I'd rented. My son and I slide it down some 2X6's into the garage. They say the gross weight is 160 kg (352 pounds) but it sure felt like more. In the garaage, I opened up the crate and pulled out the parts that could be carried separately--2 chucks, face plate, tailstock, tools, etc.

I planned to use a 2-wheel cart to move the machine to the basement. In hindsight, renting a proper appliance dolly would have made it slightly easier. I decided to leave the machine bolted to the base of the crate for the move since it was otherwise going to be very difficult to strap it to the cart. In any event, my son, my daughter and I got it down the stairs (including a right-angle turn) and into the basement. Only my son got his fingers pinched when we lifted it off the crate base and onto the bench*. ;)

Not that I also took the backsplash and gear train covers off for the move. The gear train cover is just held in place by a couple of small studs--no where near strong enough to be a lifting point. I was concerned the backsplash was going to make it more difficult to maneuver down the stairs and again it is not strong enough to be a lifting point.

I've spent a fair bit of time cleaning and lubing my new toys. Disassembled both chucks; the 4-jaw had a large metal chip fouling one of the screws. In the picture below, you can see some of the grit and dirty oil that was on the machine. I disassembled, cleaned and lubed both the compound and the cross slide. After adjusting the gibs, I think the operation is pretty smooth.

I wanted to take the gears off the banjo to clean and lube but I've put that off for now. There was a Blondihacks video where she noted that the gears on her Precision Matthews lathe were and extremely tight to the studs to begin with. I believe she used a reamer to ensure the hole in each gear was a good fit. That would require a 14mm reamer (ideally spiral) which I don't have. May need to buy one.

I'm also debating about changing the oil in the headstock and apron. Now or wait until I've used it for a few months?

The next step is to retrieve the QCTP I ordered. I had it delivered to a service just across the border in New York. This will be my first crossing since the pandemic started. Fingers crossed that it goes OK. BTW, I'm 90% certain that I'll have to modify the compound slightly to fit the QCTP. The tool post that comes with it sits on a boss that sticks up too high. Should be no big deal to mill it down.

I also want to try taking some measurements. I've ordered a test bar from India and the tracking says it will be here in 3 days.

Or course, I've played with the controls a bit. All the basic functions seem to work OK. The two knobs on the front (left-right travel and A-B-C feed speeds) don't give good feedback that they're engaged. Also, the lever is quite stiff going from longitudinal to crossfeed modes. I know you don't want to do by accident but it seems pretty sticky.

Craig

* No fingers were permanently harmed in the moving of the lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_4550 in crate.jpg
    IMG_4550 in crate.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4558 downstairs.jpg
    IMG_4558 downstairs.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4561 benched.jpg
    IMG_4561 benched.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4565 grit&grime.jpg
    IMG_4565 grit&grime.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4566 cleaned&lubed.jpg
    IMG_4566 cleaned&lubed.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 59

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Some of you may remember that I started searching seriously for a new lathe in the 10-11" swing range a couple of months ago:

I'm happy to report that my new Craftex CX706 10 X 22 lathe arrived safely this week. At Busybee in Mississauga, they forklifted it into the van I'd rented. My son and I slide it down some 2X6's into the garage. They say the gross weight is 160 kg (352 pounds) but it sure felt like more. In the garaage, I opened up the crate and pulled out the parts that could be carried separately--2 chucks, face plate, tailstock, tools, etc.

I planned to use a 2-wheel cart to move the machine to the basement. In hindsight, renting a proper appliance dolly would have made it slightly easier. I decided to leave the machine bolted to the base of the crate for the move since it was otherwise going to be very difficult to strap it to the cart. In any event, my son, my daughter and I got it down the stairs (including a right-angle turn) and into the basement. Only my son got his fingers pinched when we lifted it off the crate base and onto the bench*. ;)

Not that I also took the backsplash and gear train covers off for the move. The gear train cover is just held in place by a couple of small studs--no where near strong enough to be a lifting point. I was concerned the backsplash was going to make it more difficult to maneuver down the stairs and again it is not strong enough to be a lifting point.

I've spent a fair bit of time cleaning and lubing my new toys. Disassembled both chucks; the 4-jaw had a large metal chip fouling one of the screws. In the picture below, you can see some of the grit and dirty oil that was on the machine. I disassembled, cleaned and lubed both the compound and the cross slide. After adjusting the gibs, I think the operation is pretty smooth.

I wanted to take the gears off the banjo to clean and lube but I've put that off for now. There was a Blondihacks video where she noted that the gears on her Precision Matthews lathe were and extremely tight to the studs to begin with. I believe she used a reamer to ensure the hole in each gear was a good fit. That would require a 14mm reamer (ideally spiral) which I don't have. May need to buy one.

I'm also debating about changing the oil in the headstock and apron. Now or wait until I've used it for a few months?

The next step is to retrieve the QCTP I ordered. I had it delivered to a service just across the border in New York. This will be my first crossing since the pandemic started. Fingers crossed that it goes OK. BTW, I'm 90% certain that I'll have to modify the compound slightly to fit the QCTP. The tool post that comes with it sits on a boss that sticks up too high. Should be no big deal to mill it down.

I also want to try taking some measurements. I've ordered a test bar from India and the tracking says it will be here in 3 days.

Or course, I've played with the controls a bit. All the basic functions seem to work OK. The two knobs on the front (left-right travel and A-B-C feed speeds) don't give good feedback that they're engaged. Also, the lever is quite stiff going from longitudinal to crossfeed modes. I know you don't want to do by accident but it seems pretty sticky.

Craig

From what I hear, (second hand rumour mill heard from a friend of a friend), the USA side doesn’t care about vaccination status nor do they ask about it
Coming home, it depends on the border agent if they ask you to quarantine

The confusing part, is I personally know a vaccinated person who returned to Canada, the border agent asked him to quarantine until a negative PCR test was obtained

So, good luck, you probably won’t get hassled either direction, but I’m curious to hear your experience

Gordie

Sounds like you're having fun Craig. There's a Monarch 10EE near me, also a Shaublin 135. Now deciding to upgrade significantly from my planned Standard Modern. I may have to move to the country. I hope to have fun soon.

Craig

Interesting about the tool post, on the cx707 it also uses the indexing pin for the tool post, but the bolt slides in a slot the cross slide.

I would suggest instead of machining your bolt, make a new one so you can always return to the old one in the event you upgrade, again.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Have fun, you are ahead of me on delivery, I got a call from BB in Calgary on Sat. saying they had my CX706 and were going to ship it soon. Small issue with delivery as i'm on a farm and truckers are scared to leave the highway, going to get it delivered to the local Co-op.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Craig

You sound like a very HAPPY OLD MAN to me!

Congrats!

I can't wait to see your first project!!!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Thanks everybody. BTW, I noticed the following on the back side of the bed when I was uncrating the lathe:

IMG_4559 whatsit mounting point.jpg

My guess is that the same castings for the combo lathe/mill and the machined mounting points would be for the mill portion. Seems like a waste for them to machine flats, and drill & tap the mounting holes before they know what the castings will be used for.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
So I made the picked up my purchases from the border today. As a bonus, the alignment bar from India was waiting at my door when I arrived home. The haul:

IMG_4573 16May22 haul.jpg

The AXA QCTP set is from Precision Matthews as well as the live centre. What I liked about their QCTP set is that it DOESN'T include a useless bump knuler and a next-to-useless angled parting tool. It does come with 4 tool holders: 2 with and 2 without the bottom groove for boring bars. I added another 4 tool holders to the purchase. Per usable tool holder, I think the PM price compares quite favourably with other sources.

The alignment bar is from India via Amazon.ca:

Looks and feels nicely finished to me. More on it later, I guess.

Crossing the borders -- this was my first jaunt across the US border since before the pandemic started. I crossed at the Queeston-Lewiston bridge. Going into the US, I told the agent that I was picking up a package at UPS in Lewistown. He was obviously well familar with the routine because he asked me if it was an eBay purchase! In addition to a couple of other quick questions, he did ask me for proof of vaccination. I had printed this out earlier and held it up. He didn't scan the QR code or even examine the page in any detail before he waved me through.

Before my trip, I downloaded the ArriveCAN app for my phone and filled out/uploaded my passport and vaccine information. On crossing the border back into Canada, the agent took my passport but never asked about ArriveCAN. I declared the stuff I was bringing back and he gave me the usual instructions on where to go to pay the HST. There was no wait inside at the counters and I paid the amount owed and was on my way in a few minutes. No questions about Covid whatsoever. Just wanted to relate my experience. Who knows what might happen at another pair of border stations!

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
Pictured below is my Precision Matthews AXA QCTP sitting beside the 4-way tool post that came with the lathe.

IMG_4570 PM AXA QCTP.JPG

You know, you do the measurements and check what other people bought for the same lathe but it just reassuring to see that they are roughly the same size sitting side-by-side!

My current plan--subject to change--is to mount my parting/cutoff tool in the 4-way. I think it should be just slightly more rigid than the QCTP and that a smaller lathe like this needs all the help it can get in that respect. I might put the scissor knurler in the 4-way as well. More because it is a pretty low-use tool.

BTW, I note that the screw for the 4-way is much lighter than one for the AXA QCTP. The 4-way has an 8mm threaded portion while the QCTP uses a 9/16 inch screw (need to verify). That's about 14.3 mm. My initial thought is to modify things such that I can use the same screw for either tool holder. I can open up the hole through the 4-way to the same diameter as the QCTP. I think I'm going to have to make some slight modifications to the compound to capture the end of the hold down. Need to do some 'ciphering!

Craig

gerritv

Gerrit
Good news then. You could have dropped in on your way past St C :)
I learned from many trips to CBI-USA to cross at the Rainbow bridge, more tourist oriented, many more lanes and can't recall ever paying HST on declared items. YMMV of course.

I persoanlly doubt the 4 way will be anything more than a paper weight, I'm not even sure where mine is :)

Gerrit

Chicken lights

So I made the picked up my purchases from the border today. As a bonus, the alignment bar from India was waiting at my door when I arrived home. The haul:

View attachment 23919

The AXA QCTP set is from Precision Matthews as well as the live centre. What I liked about their QCTP set is that it DOESN'T include a useless bump knuler and a next-to-useless angled parting tool. It does come with 4 tool holders: 2 with and 2 without the bottom groove for boring bars. I added another 4 tool holders to the purchase. Per usable tool holder, I think the PM price compares quite favourably with other sources.

The alignment bar is from India via Amazon.ca:

Looks and feels nicely finished to me. More on it later, I guess.

Crossing the borders -- this was my first jaunt across the US border since before the pandemic started. I crossed at the Queeston-Lewiston bridge. Going into the US, I told the agent that I was picking up a package at UPS in Lewistown. He was obviously well familar with the routine because he asked me if it was an eBay purchase! In addition to a couple of other quick questions, he did ask me for proof of vaccination. I had printed this out earlier and held it up. He didn't scan the QR code or even examine the page in any detail before he waved me through.

Before my trip, I downloaded the ArriveCAN app for my phone and filled out/uploaded my passport and vaccine information. On crossing the border back into Canada, the agent took my passport but never asked about ArriveCAN. I declared the stuff I was bringing back and he gave me the usual instructions on where to go to pay the HST. There was no wait inside at the counters and I paid the amount owed and was on my way in a few minutes. No questions about Covid whatsoever. Just wanted to relate my experience. Who knows what might happen at another pair of border stations!

Craig
They were pushing the ArriveCan app about a year ago, maybe 18 months ago? Used it 3-4 trips then nothing was ever mentioned about it, nobody at the booths ever cared

Good to hear it was a clean trip, with no surprises

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
They were pushing the ArriveCan app about a year ago, maybe 18 months ago? Used it 3-4 trips then nothing was ever mentioned about it, nobody at the booths ever cared

Good to hear it was a clean trip, with no surprises

You mean to say one can drive from Oakville cross the border at Niagara Falls/Buffalo and haul back whatever duty free?

Here in Saskatchewan you can't bring a lollypop back duty free, you know the one in your kids mouth. LOL

Chicken lights

You mean to say one can drive from Oakville cross the border at Niagara Falls/Buffalo and haul back whatever duty free?

Here in Saskatchewan you can't bring a lollypop back duty free, you know the one in your kids mouth. LOL
Depends on the time spent over there, I believe after 7 days it’s up to $800 duty free. 24/48 hours has their own rules

But I was commenting about the ArriveCan app, I was surprised it was still in play, I haven’t used it in a really long time

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pictured below is my Precision Matthews AXA QCTP sitting beside the 4-way tool post that came with the lathe.

View attachment 23920

You know, you do the measurements and check what other people bought for the same lathe but it just reassuring to see that they are roughly the same size sitting side-by-side!

My current plan--subject to change--is to mount my parting/cutoff tool in the 4-way. I think it should be just slightly more rigid than the QCTP and that a smaller lathe like this needs all the help it can get in that respect. I might put the scissor knurler in the 4-way as well. More because it is a pretty low-use tool.

BTW, I note that the screw for the 4-way is much lighter than one for the AXA QCTP. The 4-way has an 8mm threaded portion while the QCTP uses a 9/16 inch screw (need to verify). That's about 14.3 mm. My initial thought is to modify things such that I can use the same screw for either tool holder. I can open up the hole through the 4-way to the same diameter as the QCTP. I think I'm going to have to make some slight modifications to the compound to capture the end of the hold down. Need to do some 'ciphering!

Craig
Craig I had the same situation with my qctp in the end I put the bottom of the tool post in the lathe and turned a boss on it to retain the most threads, I opened up the hole in the compound to match the boss and I also milled out more area of the bottom of the compound to allow more meat on that part too. I can take some pictures after work if you want after work.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Craig I had the same situation with my qctp in the end I put the bottom of the tool post in the lathe and turned a boss on it to retain the most threads, I opened up the hole in the compound to match the boss and I also milled out more area of the bottom of the compound to allow more meat on that part too. I can take some pictures after work if you want after work.

I'd love to see a few pictures. I'm pretty sure I saw a Youtube video on the same topic but I can't locate it now. I need to take the compound off my lathe and really see what I'm working with. Seeing another solution would certainly help.

Craig