• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CNC plasma cutter build

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Are you doing anything about automatic height control?

Not at this point.
It maybe something that I need to add in which case I’ll have to go to a more traditional design.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I am progressing slowly. I need to lay out the various holes etc and start drilling and tapping.
I did get all of the electronics wired up and get them working which was a huge step.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Looking at the design I think I would drill holes in the feet to keep it steady during use to compensate for cable weight/ extension they could also be used by bolting it on a removable water tray During indoor use.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking at the design I think I would drill holes in the feet to keep it steady during use to compensate for cable weight/ extension they could also be used by bolting it on a removable water tray During indoor use.
Yup, that's in the works.
The designer did "what would I do differently" video and commented that he would have made or included feet.
In the .dxf file included with the plans, the round bits ate the bottom are the feet. They get a 90 deg bend so the rest flat on the table.
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.02.37 PM.png

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ok I didn’t see that one, I did get the plans from him to pick through and am looking to see what can be improved like 1/2“ for the legs and a t slot for the adjustments of the v rollers.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There is this adjustment for the v-rollers.
Edit: @Tom O If you decide to build it the BoM lists pinion gears that don't have set screws.
I didn't notice when I ordered from McMaster. Pinions with set screws are about three times the price so I'm just going to drill and tap the ones that I bought.
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.41.41 PM.png

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Made some progress today.
Did the rough assembly of the X and Y carriages.
I may have to make some changes because the mounting flange on the V-rail I have is wider than the spec’ed V-rail from McMaster-Carr which pushes the gear rack too far inboard.

Or I might just order the spec’ed V-rail
726e98471b4dbdd1f85e0bce0b0937fb.jpg

6e0dbe790f17f5089104bddeb83e31a0.jpg

02cdd03e1887dc4cc7e98ae329f75a92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking good so far.

Thanks Tom, came together pretty easily.
The water jet cut holes are all slightly undersized which I happy about, much better than oversized!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I decided to order the correct gear rack from McMaster.
I am seriously amazed by their service.
Label created at 9:49pm Mar 22
On vehicle for delivery 8:16am Mar 23

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 - they seriously have their delivery stuff down pat, a huge lesson for any Canadian company that wants to go on line - not sure how they do it, but they are fast - I have an order built up that they say can be delivered to a pretty remote place by tomorrow afternoon if I order now....crazy!

Nice work on the build so far :)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I mocked up the rails tonight because well I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. :D
I realized that I couldn't use the other rails because they are about a 1/16" thick so the end of the motor shaft and pinion gear would have been rubbing on the plate holding the rails. The new rails are 1/4" thick which is necessary for there to be sufficient clearance.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
[QUOTE="David_R8, post: 36323, member: 1518"
Biggest criteria is size; it had to be small enough to fit on my 2x3 welding table or be portable enough to store out of the way.
Discovered Dacs Garage and his design.

Watched all the videos several times and decided to spend $10 for the plans which include .dxf file so the pieces can be waterjet cut if so desired.
The electronics are an Arduino Duo controller running GRBL and Universal G-Code uploader.
I run a Macbook so no Mach 3 or 4 as they require a PC. I may do that in the future but i need to get my feet wet first.
Parts are on order so follow along as I venture into a completely unknown land. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I am jumping in!! I ordered the plans and a plasma cutter today. (Been on the list for a while but resistant to learning software. Seems like the incentive (named David) finally came along)

David, I need you to quit posting projects. They are all so interesting that they keep costing me money! o_O

Kidding, of course. Great posts! Keep them coming!!
And Thanks

Cheers,

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Happy to have inspired you @ShawnR. Be sure to post pics as you go. What plasma cutter did you order?
Are you going to order parts from McMaster?
It was more expensive but it saved me untold hours or searching for individual item and paying for shipping.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Happy to have inspired you @ShawnR. Be sure to post pics as you go. What plasma cutter did you order?
Are you going to order parts from McMaster?
It was more expensive but it saved me untold hours or searching for individual item and paying for shipping.

I purchased this one. Not a lot of reviews on it but it is in Canada. I looked on ebay too. They all seem about the same.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08BZH991R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know about ordering anything yet. I will see what the plans call for and see what I have in stock. I am trying to finish the belt sander, then doing a router duplicator for gun stocsk, then this CNC cutter....o_O . I need to quit adding to the list now!

Like a chess player, planning my moves ahead... and like chess, sometimes someone else throws a twist into my plans, but those are the planned projects right now. I figure I can swap out my trim router for the torch and use it as a CNC router table for wood too. Opens up a few more options in my shop. I started watching the videos on Dac's website and it all started making sense to me. I do not know anything about any of the software for drawing so figured you would need to be competent in a CAD/CAM program but looks like I will be able to figure out enough. to make it usable.

I have a bit of a programming background and have used microcontrollers before. I did buy the Arduino to compare to the ones I have used since the Arduino is so well supported. The uController I used never caught on so is not supported anymore but the programming is similar. Gcode looks straight forward from what I saw on Dac's Garage.

Looks like a very rewarding project!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks like a decent machine. I had to search around for one that wasn't HF start. Finally found the Sungoldpower unit.

I'm a CAD/CAM newbie also. I bought a 3D printer a while back so I'm learning Fusion 360 as the basis for the CAD and CAM.
Using Universal GCode sender and it seems to work fine. I managed to get the steppers to move as expected on the kitchen table. The big test is obviously getting them to work on the machine!

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like a decent machine. I had to search around for one that wasn't HF start. Finally found the Sungoldpower unit.

I'm a CAD/CAM newbie also. I bought a 3D printer a while back so I'm learning Fusion 360 as the basis for the CAD and CAM.
Using Universal GCode sender and it seems to work fine. I managed to get the steppers to move as expected on the kitchen table. The big test is obviously getting them to work on the machine!

Wait, what? What do you mean you did not want HF start? Why? How will your machine start the cuts? Sorry if it is in this thread. I did not read all posts but will go look. Are you coding in a dip of the torch to start the arc? OK, I went to the FAQ's on the site you posted. Will I have trouble with the High Frequency of the unit I bought?

I started looking at Fusion a couple months back because of a thread here. But then my first lesson with Lars went south when he kept referring to a word that was not in my version. After a half hour, a google search revealed that the word was changed. I was already frustrated. I am now trying to learn Free Cad but I am thinking my brain refuses to learn CAD. We will see. I think 2 dimension will be a good start. I can manage that, maybe, I hope...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@David_R8 I cancelled my Plasma order (if I made it in time) till I hear more about the HF concerns. I remember working on a TIG unit and the HF start for the AC function messed up the TIG controller. It worked well on DC. Maybe this is along the same lines?