CNC plasma cutter build

Tom O

Ultra Member
I was wondering about that design not showing limit switches I thought those were a important part of the Cnc machines my router just stops till you crank it back which is a pain with the enclosure.
B155F86A-15E2-41E3-88E7-F823BF6E800C.jpeg
This is a first generation design that I want to upgrade the control boards on I’m thinking maybe a centroid system.

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
I was wondering about that design not showing limit switches I thought those were a important part of the Cnc machines my router just stops till you crank it back which is a pain with the enclosure.
View attachment 14707
This is a first generation design that I want to upgrade the control boards on I’m thinking maybe a centroid system.
Is that a 6040?

The original design of the plasma cutter has the gear track ending before the carriage ran into the ends. So the stepper pinion would just run out of mesh and stop.
I extended to gear rack to allow for maximum travel of the carriage for maximum cutting area.
That said, I'm using OpenBuilds control software which looks for limit switches for proper homing of the machine. Adding them is a bit of work but easier than having to think about it every time I use the machine.

ShawnR

Premium Member
Sooo @David_R8 have you used this CNC plasma cutter much? Would you recommend going ahead with the project or would you make a lot of changes were you to build another one? I purchased the motors and controllers but none of the other hardware yet. You made a comment in your thread on the CNC router about rigidity which makes we wonder if there is enough rigidity in this design to be satisfactory? I was wondering about still using the toothed track but mounting it to something more substantial...:confused:

David_R8

Scrapper of metal
Premium Member
I haven't had occasion to use it much because I'm not happy with my water table slats. And I've been super busy with other projects <eyeroll/>
I'm considering doing away wit the water table and just making a 'skirt' for the cutting area to contain the sparks.
It is definitely not rigid enough to use for a router but the design is well suited to its purpose.
I made only two design changes:
First was to put the Y-axis gear rack above the pinion so that dirt and grime didn't accumulate in the rack and cause issues.
Second was that I extended both gear racks to have as much travel as possible. That's a plus. The negative is that I now need end stops because I can run both axis to the point where the hit the frame :(
I did buy switches and the board for them but haven't managed to get them wired in.

Last edited: