• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CNC plasma cutter build

Brent H

Ultra Member
I want to add a second battery to the big new truck. (Factory dropped it on the spec) they want like $190 for the base and $15 for the cover. Have to see what Is all included.
Glad you are feeling better David

Brent H

Ultra Member
Chevy 2500HD LT long box - replaced same truck (2011). Ordered it 4 months ago. Checked Ford and Dodge and nothing to match - was crazy. And still is - Chevy no longer taking build orders - shop in Mexico can’t keep up up with the wire harnesses - odd times

They dropped the extra battery and added remote tailgate and some other trim options

5C218F33-CAA9-4173-94CC-0C8BDE84AF10.jpeg
Ugly to some folks but the work part is good for me!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Chevy 2500HD LT long box - replaced same truck (2011). Ordered it 4 months ago. Checked Ford and Dodge and nothing to match - was crazy. And still is - Chevy no longer taking build orders - shop in Mexico can’t keep up up with the wire harnesses - odd times

They dropped the extra battery and added remote tailgate and some other trim options

View attachment 13377
Ugly to some folks but the work part is good for me!
Nice wheels sir!
Can you retrofit a second battery?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 - Looking into it - gmupfitters.com has some mistakes in their electrical drawings (LOL) but this is your CNC forum so that is it - LOL

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Picked up the steel today.
Slight hiccup in that I didn’t communicate the cut list clearly so they only made a single of a piece that I need a pair of.
I’ll need to make a duplicate of the piece by the yellow handle.
The two diamond shaped pieces are the stepper mounts, the big square’ish pieces are the X and Y axis mounts.
Not shown are the two 24”x 2.5” arms.
ed7684d4cc38bffd419c239d9e809da7.jpg

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Breakout board for the Arduino Uno board showed up today.
With any luck I can get the electronics wired up and see if they work [emoji16]
08fbe5d74e7bef9d7d815b958e73e480.jpg

Oh and I printed a mount for the board on my new 3D printer [emoji16]
3923cd9fe779f9e447c1905c03150faf.jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Picked up the steel today.
Slight hiccup in that I didn’t communicate the cut list clearly so they only made a single of a piece that I need a pair of.
I’ll need to make a duplicate of the piece by the yellow handle.
The two diamond shaped pieces are the stepper mounts, the big square’ish pieces are the X and Y axis mounts.
Not shown are the two 24”x 2.5” arms.
ed7684d4cc38bffd419c239d9e809da7.jpg
Final price David?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Whoops I said I was going to post that didn't I @Janger
Steel and cutting was $100 plus tax, $112 all in.
There's two 24" x 2.5" pieces of 3/16" as well that aren't shown because well they don't fit in the picture. :D

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Next? How many concurrent projects do you have going now?

Two for sure; the plasma cutter and the power feed.
I’d have the power feed done already if I hadn’t been in the hospital.
The plasma cutter has been an exercise in waiting for parts.

I want to build a CNC router next. Check out the PrintNC machine.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I had partial success tonight. Got the X-axis working but the Y-axis is not responding.
Not quite sure what's wrong yet...
d4b67dee58456d6ad363c1cf0ddd669c.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Got it working!
Still need to set the steps correctly but the steppers are responding appropriately :D
HUGE win for this CNC electronics (heck all electronics!) newbie!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Way to go! I hear you about the electronics I’m just starting to get back into the Arduino I’ve had sitting around here for a good two years.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Small progress today.
Designed and printed a base for the 5v relay that will control the plasma torch.
c3d60fbc39a8a6d2350c573f2ea2f39c.jpg
4a4126277e5d02da9759506fc722b5a1.jpg

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You are stirring my interest in a 3d printer....:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this thread. Very informative!