• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Other Basic Electronics, Multimeters, & Oscilloscopes

This thread is about basic electrical, electronics, Multimeters, and Oscilloscopes. It is an outcome of interest that various members have expressed about these subjects.

@Janger , @Johnwa , and @kevin.decelles have all recently obtained a starter Oscilloscope so I think the timing is good for a thread like this.

The primary resource will be a book (available on Amazon in paper or kindle) called Electronics for Dummies by Kathleen Shamieh. The book isn't a requirement, but it always helps to have a reference of some kind to facilitate discussion. Other references might get added as the thread progresses.

I'm not picturing this thread as a course, just a good place to ask questions, find answers, and share knowledge and experience about basic electrical knowledge and testing.

As always, a good time and lots of great jokes are expected!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I actually found the receipt in my dad's papers after he passed. One of the best gifts he ever bought me.

I think all our folks were prolly awesome. One cannot ignore the collective talent of the members here.

The childhood gifts I remember most included a mechano set, a chemistry set, a woodburning art kit, a BB Gun, and the painful end of a belt. The latter was the best gift of all. I know modern times would land you in jail and might lose you your kids. But I look around and see more than a few kids badly in need of the kind of love my dad gave me when I needed it most.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow! I have had one of those for about 30 years. Wonder how old it is.

Apparently, the first AVO (amps volts ohms) meter was sold in 1923. @thestelster's is a bit newer but prolly not much newer so I'm going with a century old.

Also a Fluke 77 and an ancient Telequipment S54 CRT oscilloscope.

Did you get a 1014D? I'm REALLY LIKING it for the money!

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
Just kinda figured you are the kind of guy who would enjoy having a 1014D. Amazing what you get for less than $200.
I would probably enjoy playing with it but realistically I wouldn’t be able to justify it based on needing it….until something came up where my old scope wasn’t enough. I drag it out once in a while.

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would probably enjoy playing with it but realistically I wouldn’t be able to justify it based on needing it….until something came up where my old scope wasn’t enough. I drag it out once in a while.

I didn't actually buy one myself yet either. A neighbour loaned me his to try. But I confess I have fallen in love with it. It isn't anywhere near what my teks are but it is so inexpensive for what it does. And so easy to setup and use its almost ridiculous! I've already used the function generator a few times. It's stupid easy to use.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Nice score!

I see it's a snap on. So it prolly has its own shunt. Or do you have to rig up your own circuit to use it?
IMG_1999.jpeg IMG_2001.jpeg I don't know what a shunt is, unless that's what's on the back of them. As far as I know, you just place that part over the top of the wire, and the meter reads the amps somehow