• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3D Printing - machines owned by members

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The printer arrived while in was in hospital yesterday, the roll of PLA arrived today.
Took about an hour to assemble (my new toy according to my sweetie). Pretty simple build.
Did the bed levelling, hung the PLA and turned it loose on the dog. We shall see what happens!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The printer arrived while in was in hospital yesterday, the roll of PLA arrived today.
Took about an hour to assemble (my new toy according to my sweetie). Pretty simple build.
Did the bed levelling, hung the PLA and turned it loose on the dog. We shall see what happens!

"turned it loose on the dog"?

You have far too many things going on at one time here LOL:p

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And the dog turned out pretty good.
dfcfaf84eb8ac5341ce194d41dfc9e2f.jpg

Enough goofy stuff. Time for practical shop things!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great pictures and great outcome thanks for sharing I especially like the cat ring:D, the tool holders are pretty good too:p, I am sure your daughter loves it. I shouldn't be looking at this thread, I already have too much to learn and do, but so many great projects and ideas hopefully it won't be one of those nights your looking for your CC at 2 in the morning!
Have a good night.

JuanH

I just got a sonic mini 4K and I’m waiting for a mega. I hsvent had chance to print nothing yet lol

Attachments

• 245EB22E-79C5-40B5-B16D-861BE4605A94.png
    245EB22E-79C5-40B5-B16D-861BE4605A94.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 15158AD8-AC99-44C3-960D-F79559CF9398.png
    15158AD8-AC99-44C3-960D-F79559CF9398.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 8

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just got a sonic mini 4K and I’m waiting for a mega. I hsvent had chance to print nothing yet lol
I don't know anything about 3DP but Googling some of the parts off that machine sure are impressive detail. Cant wait to see what you start cranking out.

JuanH

I don't know anything about 3DP but Googling some of the parts off that machine sure are impressive detail. Cant wait to see what you start cranking out.
Thanks I’m trying to do bronze casting. Will see how that goes.

Richard Tymko

I have an aluminum vat for that machine BNIB of you are interested it, it is cheaper that buying a new one. I ordered it by accident I wanted it for my Mighty.

Richard Tymko

If you are casting bronze did you purchase the castable resin? Regular resin will leave too much of a carbon deposit in the flask after burnout for an acceptable finish. Also… did you make an enclosure for it? The average temp in my basement required me to make an environmentally controlled enclosure to help reduce exposure time and increase detail.

JuanH

If you are casting bronze did you purchase the castable resin? Regular resin will leave too much of a carbon deposit in the flask after burnout for an acceptable finish. Also… did you make an enclosure for it? The average temp in my basement required me to make an environmentally controlled enclosure to help reduce exposure time and increase detail.

i have a castable resin yes, it I wanted to make a mold and do ceramic shell.

good to know about the basement temp cuz mine is bloody cold on winter. I was planning to put a heater beside.

Richard Tymko

i have a castable resin yes, it I wanted to make a mold and do ceramic shell.

good to know about the basement temp cuz mine is bloody cold on winter. I was planning to put a heater beside.
I put a call out on Kijiji for a broken wine cooler and hot one for $35. I then stripped it down switched the thermostat to heat and added a ceramic heater bulb controlled by the fridge thermostat and works like a charm. Average temp 25°C. Works great. The other thing I did was add a magnetic build plate for easy removal. Ceramic shell ? Why not investment? A bit more work with the ceramic process? What are the advantages?

JuanH

I’m thinking ceramic shell cuz I already have a ceramic electric kiln. I still debating to convert it into a propane kiln cuz apparently my electric panel will need an upgrade.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I’m thinking ceramic shell cuz I already have a ceramic electric kiln. I still debating to convert it into a propane kiln cuz apparently my electric panel will need an upgrade.

Are you running that kiln in your basement?