• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3D Printing - machines owned by members

Crosche

Super User
I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro that I am currently modding to add a vinyl cutting attachment to. In the very near future I want to upgrade to a MicroSwiss hot end and auto bed leveling probe.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
want to upgrade to a MicroSwiss hot end and auto bed leveling probe.

I added a probe to my last printer (home grown rerap clone), and when I switched to the Ender 3 Pro last year I went back to the manual wheel. IMHO, the probe isn't work the time -- I can level my bed easier by hand. I ran hours of tests, analyzing the grid-map that is generated by the Marlin software. Basically you could probe 30 times and have crazy variances that resulted in so-so prints.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Awesome

Does that ride in the t-slot or just sit on top?

Sooooo many uses for 3d printer in the shop. Mine runs all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimonM

It’s in the t-slot. Straight off thingiverse.

Main reason it’s not running non-stop yet is noise. Wife doesn’t like it. Will need to move it to the garage and build an enclosure.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Here is my enclosure. All metal, can’t burn

9cea9d94db84f2f9960190f9ff46968d.jpg

86995ecd95de5153cbcad09e6128b30e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimonM

It’s an Advance which from my research is just generic Taiwanese and the house brand of Thomas Skinner.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Ah. You get it setup and let it run. Tooling being manufactured while I do other stuff. I can’t sleep with it running so if it’s longer than 16 hours I tend to not start. Split it up into pieces if possible.

I’m printing two more bxa holders and I’ll have enough.

Hey John have you thought building an enclosure? Also if you go up in nozzle size I have found the motors don’t move as fast and thus the printer is quieter and prints quicker.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Hey John have you thought building an enclosure? Also if you go up in nozzle size I have found the motors don’t move as fast and thus the printer is quieter and prints quicker.
I put the Bigtreetech E3V2 board in my ender 3 and the stepper motors make almost no noise now. The only thing you can hear is the the cooling fans now. No discernable change in print quality but the whole thing could use a good tune. The noise difference alone was worth the 50 bucks

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A local seller listed an Ender CR-20 Pro for $500.
Listing upgrades as 4mm nozzle (plus 6mm)
All metal extruder. ($80)
Auto bed levellling (this is standard on the CR-20 Pro)
Glass build plate ($30)
Roll of filament (no idea what)

Came down to $480 when I told him that 3DprinterCanada had it for $450 inc. free shipping.

Seller went to $450 without the filament or 6mm nozzle.
At $450 I'm getting maybe $100 (retail) in upgrades and saving the tax.
The CR-20Pro has build volume as the Ender 3 series, same basic design. Big selling feature for the CR is that it takes four screws to put it together.
I can get a new Ender 3 V2 for $350 shipped.
I don't see the upside to the CR20...

Crosche

Super User
A local seller listed an Ender CR-20 Pro for $500.
Listing upgrades as 4mm nozzle (plus 6mm)
All metal extruder. ($80)
Auto bed levellling (this is standard on the CR-20 Pro)
Glass build plate ($30)
Roll of filament (no idea what)

Came down to $480 when I told him that 3DprinterCanada had it for $450 inc. free shipping.

Seller went to $450 without the filament or 6mm nozzle.
At $450 I'm getting maybe $100 (retail) in upgrades and saving the tax.
The CR-20Pro has build volume as the Ender 3 series, same basic design. Big selling feature for the CR is that it takes four screws to put it together.
I can get a new Ender 3 V2 for $350 shipped.
I don't see the upside to the CR20...

Other than the larger build plate, I can't see it being better than a new Ender 3. I have an Ender 3 Pro and love it.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
My two cents

I had auto-levelling on my Geeetech -- didn't like it.
I had glass plate -- didn't like it (others love it)
Ender Pro 3 was maybe an hour to setup. My Geeetech was 12 hours....... (4 hours on the second Geeetech I build based on experience)

You'll likely build your own inside of two years to get the bed-size to print a full size sarcophagus or a Ducati replica. The Ender Pro 3v2 is meeting all my needs right now. Just printed 4 freeze-plug caps to facilitate flushing of an engine block. Awesome.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't buy the Creality CR-20 Pro for $450 so I'm still on the hunt.
Machines in my sights are:
  • Ender 3 V2 @ $350
  • Ender 5 @ $499
  • Biqu B1@ $450

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Big shoutout to Digitmakers.
I selected free shipping standard service.
About an hour ago I received a shipping notification for UPS. That's a $40 cost to them!