• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What's Paul up to?

A bit more shop time. A chasing hammer for my sweetie, who wants to get into repousse work.
First a punch and a drift, out of some Atlantic 33 that arrived last week. To date I *really* like the "do nothing" tempering routine. Though the quench temperatures are *high*. I did the face with an oxy-propane torch to isolate the heat and just wailed on it until it upset to the right shape. Managed just about 1 1/4" out of the 3/4" base stock. And the hammer is out of the A-33 as well. We'll let you know how it holds up.
View attachment 50895
And it's not done if it doesn't have a handle. This is some locally-harvested yew a neighbor had in his firewood pile (gasp!).
View attachment 50896
It split beautifully, and the drawknife work was like putting on an old glove. It's been a long time, but still seems to work.
For next time, I'll probably move the eye 3/16ths towards the peen end - the balance isn't bad, but the visuals are a bit off.
That is a nice looking piece of work

A bit more shop time. A chasing hammer for my sweetie, who wants to get into repousse work.
First a punch and a drift, out of some Atlantic 33 that arrived last week. To date I *really* like the "do nothing" tempering routine. Though the quench temperatures are *high*. I did the face with an oxy-propane torch to isolate the heat and just wailed on it until it upset to the right shape. Managed just about 1 1/4" out of the 3/4" base stock. And the hammer is out of the A-33 as well. We'll let you know how it holds up.
View attachment 50895
And it's not done if it doesn't have a handle. This is some locally-harvested yew a neighbor had in his firewood pile (gasp!).
View attachment 50896
It split beautifully, and the drawknife work was like putting on an old glove. It's been a long time, but still seems to work.
For next time, I'll probably move the eye 3/16ths towards the peen end - the balance isn't bad, but the visuals are a bit off.
Wow....... No more words, ran out..... Okay one more..... Beautiful!

Fire up the smokehouse and send it out here I’m sure we could organize an emergency members get together.
For the next one. If there is one in time I'll bring some candy to the meetup in October.

Nothing too exciting today. A new anvil stump. By the time I got all the sapwood and termite goo out, it was *just* big enough.1000003156.webp
Other random tidbit. 275lbs anvil that I got at auction. In 1995 from the Surplus Equipment Recycling Facility (serf!) at UBC, for 1$/lb. The clerk tried to discourage me from bidding - I guess he wasn't allowed to compete with any *actual* bids for the equipment.
It's been on the oak stump I found then ever since. But that's now a pile of rot and this is a nice piece of fir.

Back