• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What's Paul up to?

Just back from a few heavy rain days at the cabin. Got the irrigation systems shut down. Why does irrigation work always wind up with me soaked?

And when I got back, a heavy but small wooden crate was awaiting me:
1729467381060.png
She's a beaut. All three axes are buttery-smooth. Also has an interesting gear-engaging mechanism where the block housing the lead screw swings out:
1729467470581.png
I haven't figured out any locking mechanism for the rotary axis, however.
No commercial marks on it, and it could all have been done in-shop. Came to me from Nova Scotia.

Paul

Also has an interesting gear-engaging mechanism where the block housing the lead screw swings out:

My Sowa RT works like that too. Very different, but works quite well. I like it.

Never saw a three axis RT before. Only ever saw one or two. Really nice! Congrats!

I haven't figured out any locking mechanism for the rotary axis, however.
No commercial marks on it, and it could all have been done in-shop. Came to me from Nova Scotia.

Paul

Where is the rest of it?
What's the back story?
Do you know what you've got there?
:)

PS .... lock is via two nuts on the underside of the round bit, as shown

rt lock-800x849.jpg

Last edited:
Where is the rest of it?
What's the back story?
Do you know what you've got there?
That's all I have. There's not much back story - a friend of a friend spotted this somewhere around Wolfville at what seemed a reasonable price for a rotary table in good order, so I took a chance.
It sounds like you might be able to tell me what I have ;-)

Paul

Yes, its the X/Y and RT off a BCA jig borer. They are a highly regarded solid little jig borer more than capable of milling (given they have dovetail ways vs box) Any chance of back tracking and finding the rest of it?

The BCA jig borer was the British version of German Boley jig borer. There were a few manufacturers of it. The story was something like the war office let out the design and contracts to various manufactures as lots of high precision machines are all of a sudden needed. Bomb insights, instrumentation etc. Mine was made by Sigma Jones (instruments) which I think Tony's site mentions was one of the more highly regarded makers.

Really lucky with mine; it's like new with scraping marks visible on all surfaces etc. I have been doing tons of modifications to it. Built a new Z axis "platform" using T slots, built a new spindle as the original used really hard to find collets, dro, oilers and channels on all surfaces, replaced the motor with a DC motor, replaced the X & Z axis bearings with ACs, and so on. It's almost done, but will likley end up selling it as it duplicates some other acquisitions. Kind off irks me that it turned out that way, years of work, but its a self inflicted injury.

Anyway, here's some info on it

Here's a crazy idea ....... fabricate a structure like in the link, normalize it and fill with epoxy granite. The tougher bit would be the Z axis and spindle ..... but if you did so you'd have one the sturdiest little bench mills in existence.

Last edited:
Yes, its the X/Y and RT off a BCA jig borer. They are a highly regarded solid little jig borer more than capable of milling (given they have dovetail ways vs box) Any chance of back tracking and finding the rest of it?

Here's a crazy idea ....... fabricate a structure like in the link, normalize it and fill with epoxy granite. The tougher bit would be the Z axis and spindle ..... but if you did so you'd have one the sturdiest little bench mills in existence.
This is really cool. I've queried the fellow who picked it up for me and see if it's likely the "drill press" part is still around.

Paul

Back