Sticky What Machines Do You have?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I just tried to find a pic of a Yong Chang and came up with zot. Is it a mill/drill or a knee mill?

Yong Chang (Long Chang Machinery Co. Ltd., Taiwan) same - same. 2 photos plus LC-15A & LC30A manual.

Enjoy! Bill

Attachments

• xy63_1.jpg
    xy63_1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • xy65_1.jpg
    xy65_1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • LC15 LC30 MANUAL.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have a few questions about power feed and DROs on milling machines.
1. If you have a mill do you have power feed or CNC?
a. if you have CNC what type?
i) MACH3
ii) MACH4
iii) LinuxCNC
iv) Other
b. If you have power feed on how many axis?
3. If you have a mill does it have a DRO and if so on how many axis?
4. Finally if you have a mill and it doesn't have CNC the question is why not?

Thanks
John

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have x/y DROs. An igaging DRO? on Z axis that doesn’t work very well. No power feeds yet but I’m working on it. Maybe LinuxCNC at some time but definitely not a priority.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you have DRO on all 3 axis, it makes the machine a lot more user friendly, I think less prone to errors & simultaneously takes care of back lash issues because its reading displacement directly. The vertical axis DRO might vary between mill models.

For example on RF-45 style mills, most typically put a DRO on the quill for both milling & drill depth. The head can move up and down using the crank handle but on these mills its more for rough positioning, typically locked & then mill depth indicated by quill DRO. On knee style mills (aka Brideport style) raising the knee is a more accurate way of milling so its also common to see DRO on that axis. But its also still nice to have DRO on the quill for the same reasons, depth drilling or referencing.

In terms of power feed, again, not necessary but nice to have depending on the work you do. It takes the monotony out of and cranking, you might achieve a smidge better finish by consistency. Having in the long axis is the most common. I see some people have PF on both table axis but I've gotten along with only X. On Bridgeport style, powerfeeding the knee is certainly nice because it save a lot of hand cranking which can be required often with tool changes & setup. Saves you back a bit, more because of the stooping. It requires more torque so is typically bigger than table PF's

CNC questions are for other folks to reply :)

Attachments

• IMG_7300_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7300_edited-1.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 0

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
If you have DRO on all 3 axis, it makes the machine a lot more user friendly, I think less prone to errors & simultaneously takes care of back lash issues because its reading displacement directly. The vertical axis DRO might vary between mill models.
CNC questions are for other folks to reply :)

I have the DRO on my quill and I used one of my prototype ELS units as the Knee Power Feed. The mill from House of Tools came with power feed on the X axis. Loved it. Really could use a DRO on the knee.

Why haven't you converted to CNC?

Brent H

Ultra Member
I like using the mill manually. Conversion to CNC would cost more than my milling machine and then I would not be “milling” as much as computing and then watching. I suppose if I was making lots of parts verses every thing I do is quite different all the time.
DRO on three axis. Don’t use it all the time. Power feed on x axis only - use it quite a bit.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
After a half year of waiting a mill finally came up for sale and I bought it. Caught the 0700 ferry to Vancouver and was home around 1600 last Thursday. I rented an engine hoist, took the headstock off and loaded everything into the truck. It was quite a load for an older Tacoma. There's no pictures of the load/unload because it was raining and I wanted to get it done as quick as possible. It wasn't a steal but I think I did alright, I got him to include the box of tooling and the vise (I think the vise might be a little small,,;)sarcasm), the thing is huge! Does anyone know what diameter the feed handles are? I need to order two of them but I'm not sure if they are 5" or 6". It looks like the handles were somehow broken and they lathed them down to the hubs and bolted on some flat bar with spin handles. Now that I have the mill I'm running out of room so I've decided to sell the Logan 400 lathe (bench not include), if anyone is interested let me know. Now comes the learning how to use the mill with out any breakage.

What did you pay for it, if you don't mind sharing?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Why haven't you converted to CNC?

I kind of enjoy old school turning wheels & pulling the handles. I'm certainly not opposed to CNC & can visualize many applications where it would be great, particularly complex parts on the mill. I guess the usual factors: time, energy, expense, other projects in the que. I lurked around on CNZ zone on & off for a few years & my conclusion was it looked like a hobby unto itself. Building or converting the machine is one thing but the electronics, control software & PC stuff... I suspect it would be fun but also a rabbit hole, at least for me. Maybe one day. CNC is behind TIG welder & surface grinder and ... LOL.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
YYC- I just saw your question, it was lost in all the CNC geek speak:D. All in it ended up at $1900, it wasn't a steal but I did stay on budget at under $2 and I'm hoping it will do me well. I got the wiring straightened out today so it runs and now the cleanup can start.

John Conroy

Premium Member
After a half year of waiting a mill finally came up for sale and I bought it. Caught the 0700 ferry to Vancouver and was home around 1600 last Thursday. I rented an engine hoist, took the headstock off and loaded everything into the truck. It was quite a load for an older Tacoma. There's no pictures of the load/unload because it was raining and I wanted to get it done as quick as possible. It wasn't a steal but I think I did alright, I got him to include the box of tooling and the vise (I think the vise might be a little small,,;)sarcasm), the thing is huge! Does anyone know what diameter the feed handles are? I need to order two of them but I'm not sure if they are 5" or 6". It looks like the handles were somehow broken and they lathed them down to the hubs and bolted on some flat bar with spin handles. Now that I have the mill I'm running out of room so I've decided to sell the Logan 400 lathe (bench not include), if anyone is interested let me know. Now comes the learning how to use the mill with out any breakage.

That looks like a really nice machine. I know a fellow who has the similar looking one from Busy Bee (CX603). I have used it and it works great. I was looking for that size mill when was first considering one but coulďnt find one so I wound up buying a 10 X 50 Bridgeport clone which are more common here. Nice score!

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/knee-mill-vertical-craftex-cx-series-cx603.html

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Out here there are no "common" machines. It's a virtual wasteland where if something comes up you just buy it. I lucked out in that this is what I was looking for, in my price range and now I hope it's in as good a shape as it looks. I got tired of trying to use the milling thing on my lathe so the timing was right to buy a mill. The vise, 6 inch, is big and flippin heavy. I'll try it for a while but may end up trading for a smaller one, time will tell. As this is my first time with a mill, any suggestions on a "Milling for Dummies" book? I know there's lots of youtube but I'd like to have something hard copy.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
.As this is my first time with a mill, any suggestions on a "Milling for Dummies" book?

Harold Hall - "The Milling Machine for Home Machinists" is a good start.

"Milling for Home Machinists" (same author) is more projects than sage

You can get both on Amazon.ca

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know a fellow who has the similar looking one from Busy Bee (CX603). I have used it and it works great.

I've heard the same. One thing, it would be a great candidate for VFD retrofit because its belt drive, no gearbox & accessible motor/mount. To my thinking that would be a win-win. Smooth running machine & practically infinite speed control.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Out here there are no "common" machines. It's a virtual wasteland where if something comes up you just buy it. I lucked out in that this is what I was looking for, in my price range and now I hope it's in as good a shape as it looks. I got tired of trying to use the milling thing on my lathe so the timing was right to buy a mill. The vise, 6 inch, is big and flippin heavy. I'll try it for a while but may end up trading for a smaller one, time will tell. As this is my first time with a mill, any suggestions on a "Milling for Dummies" book? I know there's lots of youtube but I'd like to have something hard copy.

I was thinking that you might want to put a support under the knee to help support that vise! What a monster [emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk