• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sticky What Machines Do You have?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
If it had a 3phase motor don't throw it away. I changed to a 3 phase with VFD on my South Bend and don't regret it. Nice score though.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have three other 3 phase machines in my shop. On a cnc lathe it helps because you can enable constant surface speed. While I was moving chucks around I "upgraded?" my CNC lathe to a bison chuck. Haha i can't tell the difference between the two by looking at the picture from inside the backs. One is definitely a little smoother than the other. What ever china chuck the syil comes with is pretty good too. Does anyone know the brand name?

Attachments

• 20200331_104206.jpg
    20200331_104206.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200331_104655.jpg
    20200331_104655.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200331_105159.jpg
    20200331_105159.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200331_105508.jpg
    20200331_105508.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Alexander - gotta love freebies that are actually useful, well done.

RobinHood - I saw somewhere you posted having a SM1120, how do you like it? My SM 9" is good but it be nice to have a bigger spindle hole and I like the specs on the 1120.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I do have a SM1120. It is a very very tight machine. Seen almost no use since new. Came from a maintenance facility that bought it new but never used it and just collected dust for decades. Did a complete tear down, clean and reassembly. Deburred anything that needed it.

At the time mainly bought it for two reasons:
1) It is imperial (my SM1340 is metric and I could not cut SAE threads at the time because I did not have the change gears - subsequently made them and now the 1340 cuts both types)
2) it came with a boatload of other stuff

The 1120 actually has a swing of 13” over the bed and turns 22” between centers. The spindle bore is 1 3/8”. I have a 1.5hp, 220V, 3phase motor on it, run for the shop RPC. Would be very easy to put a VFD on it.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
With a 13" swing does it use a AXA or BXA tool post. If one comes up for sale somewhere I'll have to give it some serious consideration and decide if it's worth having over my SM9.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have the AXA on my South Bend 10L. Far east copies are available pretty cheap. The only issue I've had is this year, even though the perimeter drain tile installed last year worked perfectly everything on the far end of the shop rusted. This included surface rust on the AXA tool holders and even the HSS tools. No idea why this year and not the last 10 years.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Both might work depending on the model and tool holder geometry of the BXA. You for sure can’t go wrong with an AXA size tool system.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For 13" I used BXA. It worked well. AXA is small and will work but I generally go for bigger set as AXA is limited in tool size more then BXA which can be made to handle 3/4 shank and is more sturdy (you can probably even make a custom 1" - maybe I forgot).

Not that AXA is a weak - I have taken 120 thou cuts per side in 4" bar and feed 0.007 with a tiny 3/8 carbide cutter (little stick out) - no ill effect on the tool post (not Chinese).

I have a Hardenage AXA sized tool post and single tool holder for sale in case you are interested, US made.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have an SM1120 as well. When I first got it I used an AXA. It required a ⅝” riser under it to get the tool height right. A BXA fits perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have a SM 9 x 22 and have been considering a QCTP. How does one ascertain which one AXA or BXA is the most suitable? I don't want to get one just to find out a riser is required to make it work.

Thanks,

Craig

Johnwa

Ultra Member
It depends a bit on the thickness of your compound but the AXA is just right on my 9” Southbend.
The AXA post is 2 ⅛” high while the BXA is 2 ¾”. The BXA tool holders are beefier as well so the minimum tool height ends up higher. I can take some more measurements if you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 9BB06BC2-B5A6-44F1-AFBC-39F28E0E73A5.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It depends a bit on the thickness of your compound but the AXA is just right on my 9” Southbend.
The AXA post is 2 ⅛” high while the BXA is 2 ¾”. The BXA tool holders are beefier as well so the minimum tool height ends up higher. I can take some more measurements if you like.

From the top of the compound to the tip of a tool is 1.125" on my machine. Does that help narrow things down?

Also, any preferences between piston v.s. wedge types?

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Craig
That’s pretty close to my SB. With a ½” tool the holder ends up close to half way up the AXA tool post. With the BXA and a ⅝” tool, the tool holder would be sitting on the compound.
With a piston type I suspect you want the holder half way up so it is centred on the piston.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist I tried a piston-type AXA on my SB 10K and I did not find it put the toolholder in same position repeatedly. Swapped to a wedge-type and had repeatable results every time.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’ve heard the same complaint but don’t really understand the issue. Are you saying the tool height changes or is it something else?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve heard the same complaint but don’t really understand the issue. Are you saying the tool height changes or is it something else?

Either tool height or squareness was what I found