Sticky What Machines Do You have?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
well, stay tuned for my 'getting a full sized mill out of the basement" thread. It is about to start. soon.

BTW the mill is 1800$ US, which is 2300 CDN. Plus 7% GST at the border plus moving expenses. so 3200$, give or take.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David - Not sure what kind of room you left in the shop but this might be worth a look at. It's a bit of a drive but would end up about the same or less than the king if you could get it for under $2K cdn with the tooling.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/d/everett-enco-milling-machine-accessories/7063040544.html
Unfortunately I don't have that kind of space.
Plus as @Dabbler noted, adding 37% exchange plus travel and taxes really limits the appeal of used US machinery.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
YYC- that's the one.
If it's as good as it looks and with all the tooling it's probably worth the price even with exchange and travel. I didn't know there was tax on used equipment "parts".
David - I'm in the same boat with limited space and I don't think I would get the value out of a full size machine. The hunt continues.
Dabbler - keep us in the loop with your adventure.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@YotaBota This is the video of the fellow that built a base and column to reinforce his mini mill.
The improvement is pretty dramatic. I think a bit more attention would have resulted in a plumb steel column eliminating the need for the tapered spacers.
If I were to do this I would probably add a plate at the back to connect the base to column so there's more than just the weld holding it vertical.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@YotaBota even used items brought across the border are subject to 7%. I know this by experience. THey let you go for small stuff, under 1k$, but for a $1800 US$ mill they get you. It was explained to me that even if it is used, it is new into Canada, and is subject to GST.

I hope this helps.

On the mill move front, the thread isn't started yet because we ran into a hitch this week. I'll detail it there when started.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
David - I think I would have bolted the base to the plate, then bolted the column to the upright with an untapered spacer and then welded it up. Being all bolted together keeps things in alignment. Gussets across the back wouldn't hurt, maybe 1" sq tubing form the about 2\3 of the way up the column down to the outside edge of the plate.

Dabbler - If you haven't already done so, print a copy of the add and have that with you for customs, that way they can't say you are trying to cheat them. It saved me from having to pay a few hundred bucks extra one time. You could always joke that it's just a bunch of old machine parts, if they start laughing they may let you thru;).

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I had the ad, receipts, etc. He even brought me a hard copy of the relevant legislation. It was not too much money anyway.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@YotaBota If I were to do this I would probably add a plate at the back to connect the base to column so there's more than just the weld holding it vertical.
I would be tempted to use a much bigger box section. Perhaps in the 5x5 or even 6x6 range. I too would weld a plate to the bottom so it could be bolted to the base and shimmed to make it perfectly plumb. I'd also fill the box with a concrete epoxy to add mass.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
After a half year of waiting a mill finally came up for sale and I bought it. Caught the 0700 ferry to Vancouver and was home around 1600 last Thursday. I rented an engine hoist, took the headstock off and loaded everything into the truck. It was quite a load for an older Tacoma. There's no pictures of the load/unload because it was raining and I wanted to get it done as quick as possible. It wasn't a steal but I think I did alright, I got him to include the box of tooling and the vise (I think the vise might be a little small,,;)sarcasm), the thing is huge! Does anyone know what diameter the feed handles are? I need to order two of them but I'm not sure if they are 5" or 6". It looks like the handles were somehow broken and they lathed them down to the hubs and bolted on some flat bar with spin handles. Now that I have the mill I'm running out of room so I've decided to sell the Logan 400 lathe (bench not include), if anyone is interested let me know. Now comes the learning how to use the mill with out any breakage.

Attachments

• P1010572.JPG
    P1010572.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010573.JPG
    P1010573.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010575.JPG
    P1010575.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 0

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Islanders untie! :p
I'm in Victoria :D

Well done @YotaBota Looks good.
I'm on the verge of buying a 1980 vintage Yong Chang LC-30A

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I just tried to find a pic of a Yong Chang and came up with zot. Is it a mill/drill or a knee mill?