• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sticky What Machines Do You have?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My understanding, and it's from probably a decade ago, is that the wedge type pull the holder down as they tighten so the height is repeatable assuming the lock nuts are tight.
The piston ones lock but I think you have to apply downward pressure on the holder while you are tightening. More of a two handed operation.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have both piston and wedge. The faults of piston type are exaggerated, The virtues of the wedge style are also inflated. I have an Aloris BXA wedge and a chinese BXA piston. I've measured their repeatability, and it is better than a half thou in both cases. My AXA chinesium piston type is the most repeatable of the bunch.

The wedge style is more rigid, but on hobbyist type cuts, I don't think I've noticed any difference between my BXA posts. Save your money and get what is cheapest. I just splurged on the Aloris post for my new 15X60 lathe, as it is more industrial, and it will be taking heavier cuts.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
YYC - I've got the Accusize AXA on my SM9 and it fits very well, lots of room to move up and it has about 1/4 inch to go down.

Outboardguy44

My stuff is all vintage machinery. My main tools are a South Bend 9A lathe, circa 1958; Cardiff Major 7 X 40 lathe circa early 1950's; Clausing model 8530 milling machine, probably dates to the late1960's, and an Atlas power hacksaw that is like a 1950's piece as well. Waiting in the wings is a early 1980's South Bend 10K, but that one is gonna be awhile - but I just finished rebuilding the headstock, so thats out of the way. Here are some pixels of the machines.

Attachments

• wkshp16 002.jpg
    wkshp16 002.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 67
  • wkshp16 008.jpg
    wkshp16 008.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 65
  • cardiff home.jpg
    cardiff home.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 64

Outboardguy44

Just for fun - here are most of my other "machines"......

Attachments

• 20190929_211444.jpg
    20190929_211444.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190930_203829.jpg
    20190930_203829.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4119.JPG
    IMG_4119.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 56

Tom Fitzpatrick

That's quite the museum - GREAT! There was a recent article in Wooden Boat magazine (woodenboat.com) by Mark Kaufman (part 1 - July/Aug 2020 & part 2 Sept/Oct 2020 - haven't read part 3 yet) on building a Midget Flyer Runabout where he uses vintage Mercury outboard motors. Interesting article, you might want to check it out as it may be an outlet for some of your outboard jewels. Whereabouts are you located (what part of the country)?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Those are very nice examples of vintage outboards. Did you restore all of them, or do you also “just buy“ them to add to your collection?

Outboardguy44

That's quite the museum - GREAT! There was a recent article in Wooden Boat magazine (woodenboat.com) by Mark Kaufman (part 1 - July/Aug 2020 & part 2 Sept/Oct 2020 - haven't read part 3 yet) on building a Midget Flyer Runabout where he uses vintage Mercury outboard motors. Interesting article, you might want to check it out as it may be an outlet for some of your outboard jewels. Whereabouts are you located (what part of the country)?
I'm in southern Ontario (aka the "armpit of Ontario"). I have not seen the Kaufman article yet. I may look into checking that out. FWIW, I run everything I can. This past season I ran over 40 different antique motors on Lake St. Clair. I have several very boring but very short Youtube videos that chronicle many of the motors I play with when I have them on the lake.

Best,
Chris S

Outboardguy44

Those are very nice examples of vintage outboards. Did you restore all of them, or do you also “just buy“ them to add to your collection?

I work on everything I acquire. Most of them need some attention to make them operational again. The amount of work ranges from simple cleaning and adjusting of points and fuel system service to a full and complete rebuild. I often say I don't do what would be called restorations because that implies that I'm making the motor look and operate the same as it did when it left the factory. I do enough mechanical work to make them operational and reliable, but I usually fall down on the cosmetic part because its not really my thing to make them cosmetically perfect again.

BUT - I don't fix them to just look at them. If you want to see some of them run - here's my boring Youtube channel

Unexciting antique outboard video clips https://www.youtube.com/user/Outboardguy44

Best,
Chris S

Everett

Super User
That is a very cool collection, I popped over to your channel and subbed after snooping a bit! Will have to show my wife, she's very proud of HER 1970 Johnson 9.5!

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone have a newer King Canada lathe? I am thinking about getting the 12 x 36. I don't think I need anything larger than what I have now but it would be nice to not be switching gears or cutting on feed left to right, etc. Just the larger lathe experience. I need to find a mission .....

Anyone have an opinion, good or bad, on King Canada? This lathe?

https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/6-125-063

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think there was a recent discussion on the King 12x36 lathe in one of the threads - can’t find it at the moment to give you the link....

Kinda embarrassed to say..... So far I have drug home five lathes, a 14" Brittania, which is a basket case, a 1929 13" South Bend in pretty good shape, a well worn 10k south bend, a 9c South Bend in pretty good shape and a sweet little 6" Atlas that lives in my office. There's two shapers, a 12" stroke Utility brand that I am presently using and a 16" Butler that needs a little dental work on some gears. And then the two milling machines, a cheap and cheerful Chinese mill/drill that is getting me by for now, and a 1913'ish K&T 1a horizontal that is in good shape for the age and is the next one to get running.
Lots of tooling for most of the above as well....... It's a disease I tell ya.....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kinda embarrassed to say..... So far I have drug home five lathes, a 14" Brittania, which is a basket case, a 1929 13" South Bend in pretty good shape, a well worn 10k south bend, a 9c South Bend in pretty good shape and a sweet little 6" Atlas that lives in my office. There's two shapers, a 12" stroke Utility brand that I am presently using and a 16" Butler that needs a little dental work on some gears. And then the two milling machines, a cheap and cheerful Chinese mill/drill that is getting me by for now, and a 1913'ish K&T 1a horizontal that is in good shape for the age and is the next one to get running.
Lots of tooling for most of the above as well....... It's a disease I tell ya.....
Wow. It sounds like you must have been "infected" for quite a while. Enjoy your infliction.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Busy Bee B2227 lathe, Busy Bee CT129 mill, both with Dr. Pros DROs. B2227 has a real Multifix toolpost

Billy

Sorry no pictures,

- A 10"x14" engine lathe (Korean)
- A small floor model knee mill (Korean)
- A round column mill (Chinese)
- A drill press (Canadian)
- A bandsaw (Korean)
- A power hacksaw (American)
- A Linde mig and Miller arc welders
- A Smith set of oxy-acetylene torches (American)
- A hydraulic press (Chinese)
- A 5-ton car lift (American)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

I have 5 mills in my garage right now. One will be sold, one give to my dad and I will have 3 for myself. One of the 3 is CNC conversion. I also have two lathes, hoping to get a 3rd one for CNC conversion.

I have 5 mills in my garage right now. One will be sold, one give to my dad and I will have 3 for myself. One of the 3 is CNC conversion. I also have two lathes, hoping to get a 3rd one for CNC conversion.
Sold????? 'tis a concept I don't seem to understand. I get the buyer part, but can one person do both..... I can see that if it works, it could free up some space and cash, just a little skeptical that the concept is sound......