• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Starrett Stuff

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Stel, I have a can of axel grease near my metrology stuff for gluing things like wires and gauge blocks to a thread. Works wonders.
Yeah, I use some fairly thick grease as well, but not really thick enough because the wires will drop if I take too long. I'll try thicker grease.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
@thestelster Rounding up a few Starrett things today in between other things . Looking for that little fine feed Albrecht chuck for @Susquatch while doing so . If you've ever seen pics of my place , you'll understand why I have to round up . Might get some pics tonight if the beers are cold down the basement . :)

mmcmdl

This is a few things in the bedroom . Anyone elses bed look like this ? :eek: I'll move these downstairs tonight and get some better pics with everything else . Just got off the phone with Dabbler for 40 minutes discussing what to bring to Calgary in July .

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 10

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have heard of sticking the wires into foam rubber or styrofoam to keep them in place and the swearing down.

I have some plastic holders that would be easy to use. They were a promo that came with something else I bought.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.

I still prefer a thread micrometer though.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just received this gizmo. Starrett No. 995 Planer Gauge.

It's missing a couple parts which I can probably make: Scribe and knurled nut, and maybe more accessories. I'll have to do some research.

Attachments

• 20240311_174642.jpg
    20240311_174642.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240311_174734.jpg
    20240311_174734.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240311_174834.jpg
    20240311_174834.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 8

mmcmdl

Cool ! Got a little fine feed knob . An upgrade to the 246 model . Working on the pile down here still . Once I get the roll arounds tomorrow I'll have room to make pile down the basement of all Starrett stuff .

mmcmdl

Question for the Starrett surface/toolmakers gages . The Starretts were not marked until a date . What year did they start marking them , if they did ? I've probably sold 7-8 NIB gages over the years and none of these had Starrett engravings but rather had the information on the box .

mmcmdl

Great ! :eek: Stel , I found an old set of Starrett sockets on their antique website . I didn't know they were Starretts but they obviously are . I have one dowstairs , the rest are still down the other place .

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great ! :eek: Stel , I found an old set of Starrett sockets on their antique website . I didn't know they were Starretts but they obviously are . I have one dowstairs , the rest are still down the other place .
I didn't know they made socket wrenches!! Well, why not.