Starrett Stuff

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My 91B easily holds a chamber reamer. It is 0.381 thick where it holds the square drive. But I doubt that matters if you are holding the reamer in a center. Of bigger concern is the sideways component of only one side of the handle sitting on something that it isn't square to. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

It should be easy to measure with an indicator on the reamer or even the end of the handle. If it moves at all, I wouldnt be happy about it cuz it means the reamer is bending.
Thanks John.

I would think that there is a side force component to it, but because the reamer is supported by the tailstock center, I can't imagine there would be any deflection unless the reamer and center separate. No??

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm jealous of all the Starrett tap wrenches. I've wanted one (all of them) for years, and have hoped that one of the toolbox buys I've made over the years would contain one, but alas they have eluded me, and my wallet just wont allow me to spend that much money on a new one. I will find one for cheap someday. Same thing with adjustable parallels.

If I had to guess I'd probably say I have a dozen or more Starret tools. I should go count as I'm curious. I have a few more at work, but probably more Mitutoyo stuff.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just for Shits N Giggles I counted.

3 Starrett Tap Handles
3 Starrett Tap Ts
2 Starrett Thread Gauges
1 Starrett #66 Feeler gauges
2 Starrett Tap Followers
3 Starrett Comparator Posts
3 Starrett Auto Center Punch
Lrg Med & Small
1 Pin punch set
1 Starrett Point Assortment
3 Starrett Micrometer Heads
1 Starrett Clamp Set
2 Starrett Rr Plunge Indicators
1 Starrett plunge indicator
1 Starrett Wall Chart in/metric

Total 27 but prolly missed a few things in the house.

Sadly, no micrometer or calipers.

I thought my standard angle gauges were all Starrett but it turns out that all three sets are Chinese.

Also......
2 Starrett Reference Cards
20 Starrett Note Pads
3 bandsaw blades
20 or 30 jig saw blades

I assume they don't count, but the wall chart is huge so I included it.

Edit - at the rate I keep finding stuff around here, I may actually stand a chance of being in the running..... I just add the line item and update the count as I find them.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm jealous of all the Starrett tap wrenches. I've wanted one (all of them) for years, and have hoped that one of the toolbox buys I've made over the years would contain one, but alas they have eluded me, and my wallet just wont allow me to spend that much money on a new one.

Most of mine were Kijiji finds but I popped for a new one of the smallest size. In my humble opinion, they are worth every single penny of the new price. I've had lots of tap wrenches over the years with many coming with a tap and die set. I bought brand new KBC wrenches because I hated the others so much. I also have one Bosch I got on Amazon. Of those, only the Bosch is worth owning. Even so, it is a piece of junk compared to the Starretts. When you close a Starrett, it stays put and never backs off. That alone is worth the cost. Add in the fit, finish, and quality feel and they are a bargain at double the new price. If you want, just get the small 91A for a sense of what you are getting for the price.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Most of mine were Kijiji finds but I popped for a new one of the smallest size. In my humble opinion, they are worth every single penny of the new price. I've had lots of tap wrenches over the years with many coming with a tap and die set. I bought brand new KBC wrenches because I hated the others so much. I also have one Bosch I got on Amazon. Of those, only the Bosch is worth owning. Even so, it is a piece of junk compared to the Starretts. When you close a Starrett, it stays put and never backs off. That alone is worth the cost. Add in the fit, finish, and quality feel and they are a bargain at double the new price. If you want, just get the small 91A for a sense of what you are getting for the price.
Oh I know the quality. A lot of coworkers have them, and I've used them for years. Everything about them is pure quality. It's just one of those things I'm being cheap about for the sake of being cheap lol. I hadn't really thought about it much until now, but I've been buying tools for this trade for about 20 years now, and mostly started off with cheap stuff that I have upgraded over time (and either sold/gave away or brought home for the home shop) as I acquired 2nd hand deals and occasionally splurged on new stuff to replace more frequently used things, but I'm still daily driving the same cheap tap handle I got from a Canadian tire tap and die set when I was about 17/8 before I even got out of highschool. I honestly just figured I'd stumble into one by chance by now. I have a bunch of different styles of wrench and t handle. Shop made, some commercial, just no Starrett. At this point, buying a new one would be like giving up and admitting defeat, so I'm doubling down, and will search harder from now on.....:D

I'm pretty much a kid taxi today so not getting into anything too deep out in the shop or I'll miss picking one up, or dropping them off somewhere, but I did drag out all my Starrett stuff for a photo shoot. A few I forgot about, a few more at work, and a bunch more Moore and Wright stuff that I would have bet was Starrett, but turned out it wasn't. I have way more Moore and Wright than I thought. Mitutoyo is the most featured brand though.
Xskl3Sr.jpg
BwKK20d.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
And another forgotten Starrett tool found...

Spotted this in an antique shop years ago, but I didn't think it was worth the high price tag (don't remember exactly what it was). Wife went back later without me and bought it as a birthday present for me, along with a slide rule. At some point in it's life somebody decided it was worth the time and effort to make a nice fitted intarsia'd box for it.
Frw3vIO.jpg rLDTiQe.jpg

Still cleaning and organizing, who knows what else I'll find. Like a squirrel with nuts, they forget half the ones they bury......

It's clean enough again out there to start another project now, so I think I'll do that instead after lunch....

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And another forgotten Starrett tool found...

Spotted this in an antique shop years ago, but I didn't think it was worth the high price tag (don't remember exactly what it was). Wife went back later without me and bought it as a birthday present for me, along with a slide rule. At some point in it's life somebody decided it was worth the time and effort to make a nice fitted intarsia'd box for it.
AView attachment 43959

Still cleaning and organizing, who knows what else I'll find. Like a squirrel with nuts, they forget half the ones they bury......

It's clean enough again out there to start another project now, so I think I'll do that instead after lunch....
What is it? Looks like it has a locking gimbal pivoting mechanism.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have an educated guess. A planimeter is used to measure area on flat surfaces, but there were versions that also measure the area of irregular surfaces. they had a gimbal arrangement as above. but the rod would need to be hollow for two control rods to run down the rod to the accumulator.

It *resembles* the planimeter tracer I used in high school...

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's for finding center in a 4 jaw/faceplate off of a prick punch. The rods magnify the measurement, as the chuck end is shorter and fits in a prick punch, whereas the tailstock end is longer and gets aligned to a tailstock center. The holder with the gimbal is mounted in the toolpost.

Edit: Here's a video explaining better, for my fellow visual learners.

Last edited:

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Can I play here ? :D Just last week I sold....................

Starrett 9" solid master square
Starrett 0-9" depth mic set
Starrett 1-2 " mics ( mint )
Starrett 93C tap wrench

Over the years , 100s of Starrett tools went out the door , still have 100s more . :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can I play here ? :D Just last week I sold....................

Starrett 9" solid master square
Starrett 0-9" depth mic set
Starrett 1-2 " mics ( mint )
Starrett 93C tap wrench

Over the years , 100s of Starrett tools went out the door , still have 100s more . :rolleyes:
Pictures my friend!! We need pictures! I know in the commandments it is written, "Thou shalt not covet they neighbours tools." But who here is without sin!!:p

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Last week I sold $870 total . Not bad for getting rid of stuff . This was just a few of the Starrett stuff that went .

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG