Starrett Stuff

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey, do me a favour at your convenience. Grab your 91B tap handle and let me know if it will hold a chamber reamer by it's square section, and measure the thickness of the body please.

Will do. I have a KBC Tool that will. You can have it.

So you sometimes ream by hand too eh...... LOL! I do it to fine tune headspace. Too hard to get it perfect before the barrel is torqued down. Easy peasy afterward.

Didn't have the 91B the last time I had to do that. Coming up very soon.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Will do. I have a KBC Tool that will. You can have it.

So you sometimes ream by hand too eh...... LOL! I do it to fine tune headspace. Too hard to get it perfect before the barrel is torqued down. Easy peasy afterward.

Didn't have the 91B the last time I had to do that. Coming up very soon.
Actually, I hold the reamer by a Can. Tire tap handle, and the reamers' center is mated with a dead center in the tail stock. The handle of the tap handle rests on the toolpost to prevent rotation. I always indicate the dead center to make sure we're true with the spindle/barrel bore axis. Then feed in with the tailstock. Distance is measured by a Starrett dial indicator.

Attachments

• 20220607_140313.jpg
    20220607_140313.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220607_140442.jpg
    20220607_140442.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220607_140516.jpg
    20220607_140516.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220607_143600.jpg
    20220607_143600.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 20

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually, I hold the reamer by a Can. Tire tap handle, and the reamers' center is mated with a dead center in the tail stock. The handle of the tap handle rests on the toolpost to prevent rotation.

I meant AFTER assembly to the action.

While it's in the lathe, I use a PTG Floating Reamer Holder with an MT3 Arbour and a Nat Labeth Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop, and I hold the reamer holder in my hands so I can feel it cutting. I stop at the smallest sign of problems and fix it before it gets out of control.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm at 52....for now:oops:

Unless the leaves of a disassembled thread gauge counts, I'm out.

Anybody else here able to challenge the Stelster?

Before the rest of you quit, keep in mind that this is a very high stakes competition! I have a few priceless starrett paper note pads for the winner.....

Hmmmm...... maybe the pages count......

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@TOBARApprentice has/had you all beat.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No, I don't do that. I will calculate my headspace distance, then subtract 0.002" as crush factor. This gets me bang on to minimum headspace when you torque the bbl on.

I see. Lots of guys do what you do. For reasons I don't understand, I don't usually get consistent crush. This despite the fact that I don't torque the barrel on as much as many do. A fellow I met at a match in Illinois 20 years ago told me how he did the last few thou in the receiver by hand and I've never looked back.

Like you, I usually shoot for minimum headspace. This helps match chambers to commercial match reloading dies.

Unless the leaves of a disassembled thread gauge counts, I'm out.

Anybody else here able to challenge the Stelster?

Before the rest of you quit, keep in mind that this is a very high stakes competition! I have a few priceless starrett paper note pads for the winner.....

Hmmmm...... maybe the pages count......
I don't think I can surpass that, but, I will have to see what I can do..... Does my sh!tty little can of layout dye with the mop count as one? 20230224_135013.jpg :rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
.........my name is Don, I might have a small issue with tools developing..... It started in my youth, I am no longer young. :rolleyes:

You are hilarious!

I'm envious of all the calipers.

@thestelster - I'm guessing that dial in the top 2nd from left is a cylinder gauge, but I'm not sure either.

A lot of cool stuff there.

I thought I had a lot of starrett stuff but even 2nd place has lapped me badly. Ya, I'm out.

Somebody should, start a Mitutoyo show and tell.

The only chance I'd have at being in the running would be Accusize.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey, do me a favour at your convenience. Grab your 91B tap handle and let me know if it will hold a chamber reamer by it's square section, and measure the thickness of the body please.

Edited - My 91B only holds one of my chamber reamers - the one I happened to have out. On a whim I checked all the ones still on their tubes. NFG! The PTG reamers all require a 21C. I sent you an urgent txt message to correct this information.

The 21B is 0.381 thick where it holds the square drive. But I doubt that matters if you are holding the reamer in a center.

Of bigger concern is the sideways component of only one side of the handle sitting on something that it isn't square to. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

It should be easy to measure with an indicator on the reamer or even the end of the handle. If it moves at all, I wouldnt be happy about it cuz it means the reamer is bending.

Last edited: