Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

kylemp

They also have 30 MIG welders and 30 TIG welders, 30 steel fab tables and 30 sets of welding curtains. Who shut down? If you want a welder this is probably the deal of the year. Look at the picture in lot X314
I but way too much shit at auctions, Calgary tends to be much higher for cost than edmonton but if there are large numbers of things like welders, by the end they tend to go pretty damn cheap.. Just go to the preview and make sure they aren't like 440v 3ph or something.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I but way too much shit at auctions, Calgary tends to be much higher for cost than edmonton but if there are large numbers of things like welders, by the end they tend to go pretty damn cheap.. Just go to the preview and make sure they aren't like 440v 3ph or something.
Great point from kylemp on voltage everyone -- for those of us on restricted 220V / 100 Amp residential panels you can get burned (pun intended) if not careful. A lot of these oil-field support auctions have equipment designed for a true industrial shop. You can't run this stuff without costly utility upgrades or dimming your wife's curling iron (I think the latter is worse). Check the spec panels by viewing the auction lots or pallets yourself, A great reminder from kylemp -- this could save $$$. Thanks.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Today's auction has over 1100 items... so many great tables and like 50 welders. For stuff that uses a three phase motor you usually see dual voltage 220/440 - when its in 220 mode you can add VFD.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Did you go to the auction Tom? Can you comment on prices you saw for stuff? Welders? material? and especially those four hot steamer cleaners?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, I didn't go b/c I don't really have space for another machine. What I need now is a nice 6 or 8 inch vice. But I looked at the prices:

Well the s20 band saw sold for 1700 ... so with GST and fees < 2000CAD. Great deal for a 2000lbs tool that probably costs 10k new. Even if needing some love and care. The other band saw went for 2700cad - must have been in better shape.

TOA machine drill press sold for 1400... looked like in good shape. I have no need to drill lots of holes but for a 3000lbs drill press the price looks great. Good for tool collectors.

Welders went cheap!
Invertec V350 Pro for just 1100CAD... new over 7000! ... multi process!

pressure washers went for 1600cad - Magnum 400 Gold

Dynasty 350 tig went for 4500

All pallets of steel I can see went for > 1000 cad.

I should have tried for the gear head drill press - it's not in the list so maybe went for few hundred and that would have been a great deal ;(

kylemp

I didn't realize that it was going on so once you said the name I headed up there. Most of what I saw I was unimpressed with, didn't even register..
I want a picker truck and this puppy went for 12.5k, smokin deal.. The one saw was in rough shape, the one that presumably went for more was in better condition and had been covered. The thing that really does make those 2 valuable is that they are swivels, both of them.. In my experience, that's rare. I looked at the steel and there was some I would have liked (loooooong I beam and some solid) but I don't have space or a decent method of moving them.

Attachments

• 20160901_125642.jpg
    20160901_125642.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I didn't realize that it was going on so once you said the name I headed up there. Most of what I saw I was unimpressed with, didn't even register..
I want a picker truck and this puppy went for 12.5k, smokin deal.. The one saw was in rough shape, the one that presumably went for more was in better condition and had been covered. The thing that really does make those 2 valuable is that they are swivels, both of them.. In my experience, that's rare. I looked at the steel and there was some I would have liked (loooooong I beam and some solid) but I don't have space or a decent method of moving them.

Just a recent update as of Sept 14, 2016 on some steel prices: I needed 200' of 1" x 1" angle and 80' of 1" flat steel (both 0.125 wall). Metal SuperMarkets quoted $307.40. I went to my new favourite place, Steel Inc., in Calgary and it cost me $206.22. Happy...happy..... :)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If you went to Federal Metals you would have saved $40. I like the steel inc guy but his prices are not that great.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You're right... I just checked. Thanks. I had a bad experience at Federal once...first of all the stock I needed was all rusty from being left outside in the tent (not a huge issue, but it added some prep time. I was buying something that didn't move quickly so had likely sat there a little longer than normal (and it was right after the big rains in 2005 I think), so maybe it was an unusual set of circumstances. But worse of all they wouldn't cut anything....even 20 footers to ten. I think I just got a snippy employee that day as I'd at least expect one cut so I could use a 3/4 ton truck. Luckily, I recently got a smoking deal on a Honda EU2000i generator for $200 brand new. So now I can take my Milwaukee Port-A-Band with me anywhere, cut whatever I want, and get the cheapest deal around.

Considering the bad experience happened 10 years ago I suppose I should build a bridge and get over it.:mad:

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Honda EU2000 generator for $200 brand new.
What? Those rang from $1700 for the cheap EU2000 which I bought and $3000 for the likable EU2000 that i couldn't even get my hands on locally. Best portable generator you can buy. Where did you find that deal?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Alex, quick google check yelds under $1000USD for brand new EU2000 - so like maybe 1400CAD with shipping, maybe max 1500CAD. Wait just saw a like new unit on Amazon (open box) for just 525USD - so its like say 700CAD. Cannot be more than 900 shipped home with all charges.

Through $200 seems like an believable deal - probably an auction. There seems to be lots of selling on auction these days - what is left of Alberta industry is literally disintegrating as I am typing this.

Back to Federal - I never had problems with the cutting things for me - but that was all done by the guy that now runs Steel Inc. He is a very nice guy. Yeah 10 year grudge seems like a long time - lets hope they didn't replace Steel Inc. guy with another bad employee.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hmm federal. A recent purchase there netted some box tubing which had one wall side which was thinner than nominal in the middle of the length. Could not tell until i was cutting it. Also some 90 degree angle which was more like 80 or 85 degrees. Seconds? Other box tubing was just really really greasy.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Steel Inc. guy told me a lot of Federal stuff is seconds - or it could also be poor storage practices.
I heard the same rumour about variable wall thickness from Federal. I haven't seen it first-hand...just feeding the rumour mill.

Back to the EU2000i...I never score great finds like this...but (you guys will love this)...it was an garage/"estate" sale in Bearspaw (off 12 Mile Coulee Road in Calgary NW) where the guy was downsizing . After poking around for a bit I spied the thing in its original box and plastic wrap. I asked him if it was for sale in front of his wife, and she went off in a huff. So I knew I hit a nerve and there was a story there. Turns out their son bought it for them a year or so earlier, but it had a "rattle" in it. His wife was concerned it was defective and would EXPLODE if fired up. No idea why he didn't take it in to get checked. Anyways, it did have a pronounced rattle to it. He had obviously had it with the whole "spousal discussion" on the matter and said: "200 bucks and it's yours...no guarantee!" So I took it. Half and hour and a few bolts later I found the screen on the flame arrestor in the exhaust manifold had just come out (probably just a QA/QC issue). I went into Adventure Honda to buy a new one and the service counter guy said, "this has never been used," so he just replaced it free.

Best deal I ever got. Later I remembered that I think I saw a new cover and hour/rpm meter for it in his garage as well. I should have gone back for that, but I was already feeling like the cops were going to arrest me for the deal as is and I should join a witness protection program and just stop being so greedy.

I love those EU2000's...quiet and powerful.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Alex, quick google check yelds under $1000USD for brand new EU2000
Probably true, but for some things I would rather buy from an authorized dealer. When i got my new Syil CNC turning center I could have ordered the thing on Aliexpress direct from china and saved a bunch. Probably also could have picked something up in the USA and brought it back across the border. But both Adventure Honda and Modern tool said i can try before i buy so i went with them.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Amazon.com seller is Honda direct so even better than any dealer. Also Amazon.ca and Amazon.com have bullet proof policy on merchendise - nothing compared to aliexpress. I still buy electronics stuff from China through aliexpress - frequently reviews are good enough.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Amazon.com seller is Honda direct so even better than any dealer. Also Amazon.ca and Amazon.com have bullet proof policy on merchendise - nothing compared to aliexpress. I still buy electronics stuff from China through aliexpress - frequently reviews are good enough.
This is the truth, I've had to return products to amazon.ca, it's a fantastic process. Two clicks online, print a piece of paper and tape it to the box, next day UPS picked it up, and the cash was already back in my account (before pickup even)

My friend just had an issue with a motorcycle helmet camera + communicator ($600!) after, get this, 8 months since he bought it. Asked Amazon and the same thing happened for him, print a page, sent back for a full refund.

Amazon really has buyers in mind, not so much the sellers, it appears.

JW

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just acquired large amount of round rod steel - mostly 4130 / 4145 alloy steel. I can sell some of it to anyone that wants it for few times less then what metal supermarket charges for 1018. Sizes go all they way to 10 inches round. I need to get a new band saw to cut it. Let me know what you need. There is a big step in steel quality to 4130/4145 from the usual "scrap" I am used to.