Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Tom. I don't have any experience turning 4130, but just wondering if you have 1.5-2" dia?
"Up to 10" round"... those must be some hefty paperweights you acquired! I kind of had my heart set on using cast iron to make some tooling & plates for my rotary table. CI round slabs are cheap in the states but that doesn't do me any good until shipped here. Could something like 6" dia be slabbed off into ~3/4" thickness, or is that what you mean by needing a new saw? I've had so-so experience machining bigger plates from cold drawn, sometimes they like to unload & warp a bit, mind you that was bar, not round.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There are some smaller stuff coming in tomorrow and I may have some 2''. I have to see whatever my little saw can manage a 6''. I have lots of the 6.25 inch stuff. I let you know tomorrow. I only turned it once. It leaves a nice shiny finish. In a chuck I didn't damage the surface when I chucked it in - definitely step up in hardness from "scrap". Didn't have issues drilling with quality drill bit. Cheap Chinese inserts died quickly. Premium US inserts seem to last through - I cut off few pounds on a single edge and its still good.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
10"! Pizzas! Logs! You'll need a crane. We need a photo...

10" bar stock, 340 pounds per linear foot.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, the 9.5 inch 4 ft log is nice. Its not that heavy once you get it to roll. No idea how am I going to get it onto a saw to cut a slice. First is getting at least 9 x 16 saw to actually have something to cut this thing with.

Right now there are many logs in a pile in my back yard. I simply got angry about not having ability to get any steel and got a bit overboard with what I got.

I also got small piece of aluminium and stainless.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I work on a list over the weekend. I have few small 3'' pieces, more 4'' pieces of say 10 inch length and then even more 5''. Most I have is of 6.25'' pieces. I also have some pipe as well as stainless. Just one large piece of aluminium.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I take one on the weekend - I am usually home after dark. Dabbler can also take on when he comes by with a bucket of cash to remove some of it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Just got home from Tom's. He has quite a pile of round stock sitting there. All of it is 4" or larger in diameter, some of it heavy wall tubing. I picked up a few shorter 4" pieces for future use (I don't have a need for it at the moment). I met his dad, too we must have talked about machining and stuff for an hour. Thanks again, Tom!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Was just over at Steel Inc to get some Square tubing to liberate my mill from 'pallet madness'. He as usual filled the order very quickly, enthusiastically and economically.

He wanted me to pass on a big thanks for the positive reviews and the business he has had from our group.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I know someone wanted some cast iron pieces but I am not sure who. I have two, both over 1ft long. One is 4.5 inch round the other is 5.5 inch round. Let me know if you are interested.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I PM'd you about cast iron. I can take the longer of the 2, or a short piece if someone else needs the long one. I was also interested in a piece of the thing that had a 2" hole in the center, 4140, about 8" in diameter, I think. I can come over again and look if you'd like

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I picked up several pounds of yellow brass strips at auction. They are about 7/8" wide, up to 1/8" thick and up to 24" long.
I have more than I need so am willing to sell the rest at $2/lb.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, their problem - federal was always cheaper anyways. Besides I seem to have plenty of steel stored for milling and welding its federal.

Wait till steel inc goes under and buy at 10% of the price.