• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

Matt_b_m

@Janger @Kris Jensen

Guys,
Thanks for doing this. So far I haven't had a need for found stock, but it's coming soon. Even if they were able to make a small pile of some 2"- 12" pipe cut offs, some plate scraps, and perhaps some short I beam scraps I'd be happy. I know it's not what everyone wants, but I'd gladly pay for smaller pieces I can use than have to change my ideas to fit into what's available as new. Current example is the 10" channel iron I needed. I bought 10', because I needed 16". My original design was to be a piece of plate, but it was cheaper to adapt and go with channel, than buy a sheet.
As the group grows, I really think it would be great if some of our needs could be fulfilled and different materials were available with their fair pricing and friendly staff. Been going there for years, always enjoyed the trip.
I too will send them an email, thanks for passing this along.

Kris Jensen

Hey I'll post this in a few places or help me spread the word.

I am now working with a trucking company, and a metal supplier to do residential deliveries of full lengths of steel to people who can't get full lengths to their garage shops. Still working on pricing per delivery, but the price of steel will be on par with federal metals website prices. Can do deliveries of any kind of mild steel right now. Need to still hash out the specialty metal stock.

I hope to start a website where you can order your material online and then maybe one day a week do deliveries.

Best part is the trucking company is very flexible and can time the delivery when you get home from work.

Have had a few test runs with friends and it worked really well. One bulk order and a day of delivering the material.

Starting in Calgary and area

Let me know what you guys think.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Good idea Kris. Who do people contact if they want to enquire about taking advantage of this premium service?

Kris Jensen

Good idea Kris. Who do people contact if they want to enquire about taking advantage of this premium service?
Contact me for now until I setup all the details with the driver, when it's all set up on a regular basis the trucking company will be taking the material orders

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Contact me for now until I setup all the details with the driver, when it's all set up on a regular basis the trucking company will be taking the material orders

Wow Kris

Ok I'm shopping for
60' of 1x1 0.125 box tubing and
a full sheet 4x8 of 1/8" plate.
And 1/8" round bar 40'
How much is the material and the delivery?

The alley behind my place is a little tight with corners. Garbage trucks navigate ok but a semi will not fit. What the delivery vehicle?

What about cold roll? And 20 gauge sheet? Have you got that?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Fantastic work Kris. Exactly the type of thing that we have been looking for.

Interested in aluminum in particular. Let us know as you get the details worked out!

Sent from my iPhone.

Kris Jensen

Wow Kris

Ok I'm shopping for
60' of 1x1 0.125 box tubing and
a full sheet 4x8 of 1/8" plate.
And 1/8" round bar 40'
How much is the material and the delivery?

The alley behind my place is a little tight with corners. Garbage trucks navigate ok but a semi will not fit. What the delivery vehicle?

What about cold roll? And 20 gauge sheet? Have you got that?
It's a 5 ton with a 20' flat deck on it what do you need the 1/8" round bar for? The smallest I can get right now 1/4", when I need that small of round bar I usually just use a 1/8 TIG filler rod

Jimbojones

Re: Metal Supermarket

I needed some hot-rolled 2" wide bars of various thicknesses for a project and went in to bought some end-cuts. They no longer use their scale but take actual MEASUREMENTS OF SCRAPS to 'calculate' the weight, then charge it out. Then they dropped the bomb about the cost once they calculated the weight: $30 for a handful.

They didnt indicate 1) the total weight 2) the price per lb..they just simply told me to pay. I insisted that they explain how they came up with that price since it seemed like nearly retail piece price vs scrap price and they finally told me the details: $1.84/lb for hot roll scraps. Since I was already there/needed the variety, I paid but man, this place just continues to get pricier each time I go.

BTW - I've been going there off/on for years and used to hand them $20 cash for a good arm load of metal...now I get a single 4' piece of 2 x 3/8"

I stopped by Calgary Metal Recycling on the way home; they don't sell retail.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Kris Jensen

Whatever happened to your supply project you were working on?

I needed some hot-rolled 2" wide bars of various thicknesses for a project and went in to bought some end-cuts. They no longer use their scale but take actual MEASUREMENTS OF SCRAPS to 'calculate' the weight, then charge it out. Then they dropped the bomb about the cost once they calculated the weight: $30 for a handful.

They didnt indicate 1) the total weight 2) the price per lb..they just simply told me to pay. I insisted that they explain how they came up with that price since it seemed like nearly retail piece price vs scrap price and they finally told me the details: $1.84/lb for hot roll scraps. Since I was already there/needed the variety, I paid but man, this place just continues to get pricier each time I go.

BTW - I've been going there off/on for years and used to hand them $20 cash for a good arm load of metal...now I get a single 4' piece of 2 x 3/8"

Yeah, this place is brutal, It seems harder and harder to find good supplies in town if you just need a little bit of something, for sure.

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Metal stupid market...

Federal metals for hot roll. They even have prices on the web and they're accurate. No scrap though just new in 10' lengths.

Who has been to ReconMetal? In Ogden? The web says they're open Saturday morning. Someone on here talked about buying some material from these guys...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Kris Jensen

Whatever happened to your supply project you were working on?

Yeah, this place is brutal, It seems harder and harder to find good supplies in town if you just need a little bit of something, for sure.

JW

Kris took a job on Vancouver island. How's that going Kris?

SeeWell

Anybody have experience with "Steel Inc."? Somebody passed a business card my way but I havent checked it out. I went to the website but doesnt seem to exist (www.steel-incorporated.com)

Bay #30 - 3260 46th Ave SE. Owners name is James Basnett.

Jimbojones

Amen, Janger.

I really just needed 1-2' sections of a variety of thicknesses in 2"-wide HR so I cringe when I have to contemplate buying full lengths of multiple sizes of metal. If I come across something that is hard-to-find or price per length isn't much more $ than my partial cost, I will pay-up for a full length but my shop is already overwhelmed with full lengths of threaded rod, etc.

fwiw - Federal (if I'm reading their price charts properly) appear to be a notably better deal if you're after full lengths. Thats the problem with a place (MS) that sells it by the inch; they mark it up like it's being sold literally an inch at a time and it becomes unrealistic when compared to longer lengths compared to other suppliers.

I checked Princess Auto on their bar prices; indeed (relatively) poor selection and the prices on lengths isn't stellar...but at least a few times a year it comes on sale so folks can keep an eye open for those if they want to stock up.

Metal stupid market...

Federal metals for hot roll. They even have prices on the web and they're accurate. No scrap though just new in 10' lengths.

Who has been to ReconMetal? In Ogden? The web says they're open Saturday morning. Someone on here talked about buying some material from these guys...

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Russel minimums: Steel - $500.00 and $250.00 for aluminum and stainless steel. But they don't have cold rolled ;(

I am going to get some 2x2 square from federal... others didn't even reply to my emails (encore and varsteel).

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Varsteel is great. I went down there and used my mastercard for a few 20' lengths. There was no problems, they even cut it in half for me