• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

John Conroy

Premium Member
General Scrap on 156 St. and 121 ave. in Edmonton gives access to recycled metals and also General Steel in the same location sells full lengths of any size of steel you want for wholesale prices. Usually about 25% what it would cost at Metal Supermarket. Metal Supermarket on 156 St and 114 ave. has a "drop bin" where I often pick up short lengths of material which they sell by the pound and is pretty reasonable. For example I got a 16" long piece of 4.5" 6061 aluminum round stock for $42.

P9170223_zpsfd210903.jpg

Last edited:

Kris Jensen

Anyone know where I can get some high carbon steel flat bar or even plate need 1/8th to 3/32 for making knife blanks, 1095 steel would be perfect

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Stop buying crap from metal supermarkets please! That place is a dam rip off. Check with encore metals. They have a nice website too. I'm not sure if they have that though. I'll hammer my contacts list when I get home tonight.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Alexander Hi - I looked at the encore site. They carry lots of different material! Alex will they sell in smaller quantities? if I needed 1.5" of 6" diameter 12L14 would they do that? Or do they have a minimum like russel metals?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I know when I used to have an account there they would cater to whatever I wanted but there was at least $1000 a month on that account. I haven't bought anything there for 5 years. I was in there recently looking for tool steel. They were super friendly but couldn't get me a piece. It is definitely worth a try.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Jwest7788 is there a way to ask everyone on here a question in their email or something? I think we should see if encore would setup an account for Canadian Hobby Metal Workers, a cash account, pay for your stuff at the time of order, and everyone in here buying metal commits to buying it from them. Assuming the prices are what I would expect. Maybe it's worth asking everyone?

M

Max Simons

I scored a bunch of 2" brass hex stock from Recon metal recycling yesterday for $2/lb

Attachments

• 20151113_201442.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I scored a bunch of 2" brass hex stock from Recon metal recycling yesterday for $2/lb

Hey Max
That's good haul! Are you casting it?

At recon what's the deal? Do they let you pick stuff out of the yard? Do they have steel scrap for cheap?
J

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Jwest7788 is there a way to ask everyone on here a question in their email or something? I think we should see if encore would setup an account for Canadian Hobby Metal Workers, a cash account, pay for your stuff at the time of order, and everyone in here buying metal commits to buying it from them. Assuming the prices are what I would expect. Maybe it's worth asking everyone?

Good thought. @Alexander and I were discussing something similar after our last meet up.

I'm on vacation till Monday, with poor access to Internet. But I have an idea on how we can centralize the process. When I get back I'll see about the best way to implement, likely run a beta and see how it goes.

Expect a new thread in the forum in this regard next week.

JW

EricB

I'd be interested in that too, @Jyman. General Scrap off 50th has a cut-offs shed you can buy from, but you can't go looking for scrapped machines or anything.

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Jyman

Thanks Eric,

I don't really need to go looking for scrapped machines, it's more so just off cuts I'm looking for. General scrap you say, the 41 street and 82ave? Have you been there much

EricB

Been there a few times. Service is less than stellar. I don't have enough experience with suppliers to say if I'd recommend them or not.

I would love to find a yard that lets you buy machines, vises, etc for a price per pound. I've heard of it in the States, and considering the things I've seen thrown out...

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Note below I sent to Federal Metals ... I encourage all forum members to follow up to encourage them to stock more material...

dan@federalmetals.ca, leslie@federalmetals.ca

Hi Dan, Leslie,

I found your names on the web site. I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your hassle free - no minimum - easy going service. Being able to drop by and get some new material for my projects and clients for a good price is so helpful. Your web site has the prices which makes it easy and the staff are always great. My only complaint? Not enough selection. I’m machining/metal working - and sourcing material is always a challenge. I know you have this new building saga happening… Recently I have needed some material you don’t have. Aluminium. 20 ga hot roll sheet metal, small lengths of big diameter round stock. 6” OD x 2”.

My suggestion is to build another set of racks out in the yard there and put up another tent. Stock 6061 Aluminium and some thinner sheet metal. Sell it just how you’re doing now in 10’ lengths. I’ll buy, and so will all my friends on http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com - there are about 75 members now…

Thanks for the service, and I’ll see you in the yard.

John

Kris Jensen

Hey here's what I sent....

Hey Dan and Leslie,
I'm a member of Canadian hobby metal workers and a red seal journeyman welder. As per johns request, we are in need of a readily available supply of 6061 aluminum in various lengths. You guys have always been there when I have needed you for mild steel. If you guys were to build a rack for aluminum I would be one of the first in line to pick up some lengths.

If you need some cheap labour to build and weld that rack let me know

Thanks
Kris

sorrelcreek

Thanks for sending that Kris let's hope they will carry more it would be great if they stocked more solid round for machining cause that would be my only place to buy steel from they are the cheapest and best service