• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Snowblower recommendation, anyone?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The mountain pass (Malahat) was shut down for a while, a semi spin out and the usual morons on summer tires.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awhile back, @kevin.decelles had an old snowblower he saved from going to the junk up for takers. I took. The price was right (free) and I figured I didn't have much to loose and I would likely enjoy the project.
It wasn't even known if the engine was salvageable or not at the beginning but the rest of the machine appeared to be reasonable and complete so I figured it might even be worth the price of a new engine if need be because it was a well built old machine (1975).

I tinkered, cleaned, tuned, straightened, de- gunked, welded, m 20210107_191337.jpg 20210107_191317.jpg 20210107_191304.jpg achined (a little) and replaced and painted until I was content.

Items I took care of were:
Made new skids/ shoes
Straightened bent auger and impeller
Straightened and welded housing
New bushings all around and made a new bushing holder
Unseized axle ( big job)
Straightened (but not quite enough) the handlebars
Overhauled carb
Cleaned and coated inside of rusty gas tank
Heli coiled numerous engine bolt holes
New shave plate
New paint and decals.

I really enjoyed the project as it was low priority and I really didn't have much of a budget for it anyhow so it made it fun to be able to fix something with out spending much money.
I pleased with how it turned out especially considering it is a 46 year old machine! Now if it would only snow.:p

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Does it run???? Hahahaha - just kidding with you - looks beautiful!!
Yes it seems to run fine now, although I haven't been able to work it at all. I could see that the valves/head was quite carboned up but was afraid of pulling the head of to clean in fear of a head bolt snapping. I ran gas and oil cleaners through and ran and it seems to have mostly cleared up . The tin work on the engine is still a bit rough, its been bent and brazed but still functional.
Let it snow!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I can't believe its the same machine. Fantastic job.

They do not build them like that anymore, good to see it going back into service. I'd like another 3 feet of snow here. Snow machines are underused so far.

Brent H

Ultra Member
We have about 3 feet on the ground. At Christmas until Jan 1 it was plowing everyday - I like the break - LOL. So far no snow til late next week - gives me more time on the BBQ :)