• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Snowblower recommendation, anyone?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I have the HS720 also, about 5 years old. I replaced the auger paddles this year for the first time, they were very worn. The scraper blade had enough left on it so I was able to adjust it down to give 1/8" clearance between the the paddles and the ground, which is the spec in the manual. It is a pretty expensive maintenance item as the paddles cost me $65 and the scraper bar would have been another $35. Now that I know how fast they wear I will keep a closer eye on them, the machine performs like new again with the new paddles on it. It was very easy to do but much easier if you get the machine off the ground to work on it. I used my motorcycle lift. I wonder if there is a cheaper source for these parts. I'm sure I pay full retail or more from my local Honda dealer.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Another thing on this 720 is I will get the odd clunk on ever so slightly slightly mismatched sidewalk crack. Kind of like your video at 0:16 LOL. I have attributed that to to the new track/blade thingy maybe being a bit low. When I had it in for service I had them look at the setting specifically & they said it was OK, as per factory. My prior Honda didn't do that. But it did get wet snow bunged up though.

I will spend some time reading on that forum, thanks I missed that the first time. I'd like to take you up on the paddle overhaul one day, or pop over when you are doing yours. Maybe it's something I could replicate if I saw how it was done. Thus far servicing has been occasional trips to Pro-Am (Adventure Honda) where I bought it.

All single stages catch on sidewalk/paver cracks and clunk. That's normal, no worries. The original ones didn't have replaceable scrapper bars; the whole machine was junk after a couple of years. A nice metal working mod on these Hondas is a custom bracket to hold a small battery and LED light. I have them on all my machines.

I got all my Hondas from Pro-Am. BTW, you'll find the guys on the forum know more about the machines than the salesmen. That forum was instrumental in getting the chute redesigned on the two stage HSS machines recently. Lots of knowledgeable people there.

Enjoy your machine Peter. They are really nice. Just returned from doing the "hood." It looks great.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I have the HS720 also, about 5 years old. I replaced the auger paddles this year for the first time, they were very worn. The scraper blade had enough left on it so I was able to adjust it down to give 1/8" clearance between the the paddles and the ground, which is the spec in the manual. It is a pretty expensive maintenance item as the paddles cost me $65 and the scraper bar would have been another $35. Now that I know how fast they wear I will keep a closer eye on them, the machine performs like new again with the new paddles on it. It was very easy to do but much easier if you get the machine off the ground to work on it. I used my motorcycle lift. I wonder if there is a cheaper source for these parts. I'm sure I pay full retail or more from my local Honda dealer.
Ha ha. We've got a club!

You are so right about the lift John. The post I did about the Garage Safety Tip came about because I had this machine on my lift and its handle caught the garage door opener and it came crashing down. But they are so much easier to repair when on a lift. On my project list is a mod to the lift table. I'd like to weld some grab hooks or something to specifically hold that machine on the table better.

Happy snowblowing :)

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have very little experience with a snowblower....quite simply because I found that unless you get to use them before anybody has trod on or driven on the snow, they are a real pain to get any efficiency out of. they just bounce over/skip anything that is packed down or stuck to the concrete/pavement....meaning you have to remove the snow before any foot traffic packs it down.

I sold all the blowers (one small electric that was totally useless and a double stage Honda that quite simply was a sh!t load of work to operate), now I use a simple dozer, front mounted on a riding mower, mine is a very efficient (read that as expensive) Kubota tractor but the same efficiency can be achieved with a very simple Craftsman or comparable mower for not much more money then your specified blower option ....much better job done and almost effortless to operate.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
....meaning you have to remove the snow before any foot traffic packs it down.

I sold all the blowers (one small electric that was totally useless and a double stage Honda that quite simply was a sh!t load of work to operate), now I use a simple dozer, front mounted on a riding mower, mine is a very efficient (read that as expensive) Kubota tractor but the same efficiency can be achieved with a very simple Craftsman or comparable mower for not much more money then your specified blower option ....much better job done and almost effortless to operate.
Yup. You're dead right. That's why municipal bylaws (Calgary's included) exempts snow removal from their Noise/Community Standards Bylaw for 48 hours after the snowfall. If you get it early in the AM before people crush if down, it blows easily.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
My parents got a Chinese clone of probably a Honda powered blower with I believe is 10hp motor about 8 or 9 years ago. It has electric and manual start with multiple forward and back speeds (so two stage). Cost was $250 back then off ad in Kajiji and it needed new ignition (otherwise new - damaged new stock). Main problem is forgetting to take care of the battery and as already mentioned ethanol fuel with associated water. It is at least 30" wide maybe 36". It easily can clear a foot of snow, even more. It is a beast. Total overkill for Calgary. Throws snow at least 30ft away. It is well over 200lbs.

To be honest for Calgary a sweeper is much better option due to icing being a bigger problem - but in ON sometimes you did get huge snow drop and blower was better - not sure about Victoria BC.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’ve heard about the ethanol thing but how do you mitigate it? I buy premium for the mower & blower for no particular reason. I just try & keep my fuel cans small so summer gasoline doesn’t go stale & winter gas is supposedly seasonally adjusted. I haven’t had a fuel issue but it’s important to shut the fuel valve off after each session I’ve found, or it can be an icing issue.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I’ve heard about the ethanol thing but how do you mitigate it? I buy premium for the mower & blower for no particular reason. I just try & keep my fuel cans small so summer gasoline doesn’t go stale & winter gas is supposedly seasonally adjusted. I haven’t had a fuel issue but it’s important to shut the fuel valve off after each session I’ve found, or it can be an icing issue.
You mitigate it by not buying ethonol fuel. Shell and Co-op sell ethanol free fuels (premium). If you don't want to do this buy regular fuel then add a stablizer like Stabil (Canadian Tire) to the fuel. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner for carb bowls partially to deal with these issues. But you don't see them with ethanol free fuel if you buy it, or with Stabil added to regular fuel.

Here's the list of stations across Alberta (with links to Canada and the USA) with ethanol free fuel: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
And always drain the carb bowl at end of season. Either run it dry after shutting off the fuel valve, or drain the bowl by removing it (mark its orientation with a scratch mark first), or using the drain screw if so equipped. If it does clog up from the ethanol fuel, you'll need a good cleaning, especially the emulsion tube inside the carb jet.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
And always drain the carb bowl at end of season. Either run it dry after shutting off the fuel valve, or drain the bowl by removing it (mark its orientation with a scratch mark first), or using the drain screw if so equipped. If it does clog up from the ethanol fuel, you'll need a good cleaning, especially the emulsion tube inside the carb jet.
Those tags on your gas cans- if they were held on with a metal wire I could maybe explain this better.
Tag wire is smaller than a paper clip or mechanics wire, it’s straight when it’s new and flexible. We always used it on the small carbs for seats, jets, and fuel passageways.

If you’re brave enough to pinch one of your wifes crochet needles they work well for pulling out the small rubber seats

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Those tags on your gas cans- if they were held on with a metal wire I could maybe explain this better.
Tag wire is smaller than a paper clip or mechanics wire, it’s straight when it’s new and flexible. We always used it on the small carbs for seats, jets, and fuel passageways.

If you’re brave enough to pinch one of your wifes crochet needles they work well for pulling out the small rubber seats
I’m not brave enough. Did you ever hear the song “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac? My wife is Welsh too, and would put a Welsh curse on me if I meddled in her stuff ;)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
4552520D-1599-4C23-8A13-70FAB290B5D5.jpeg 63508E91-D703-469B-A4E5-60CEA018AC7F.jpeg
Don’t ask me any questions about how to crochet, but if you need help with a carburetor I might be some use
I don’t even know if those are for crocheting! But the hook end works great to pop out rubber seats
That’s what I meant by tag wire, too

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Back when I lived in Edmonton I had a 500' long driveway that used to drift over something fierce.
I bought a 15 hp John Deere self-propelled blower with electric start (no way can a mere mortal pull start a 15 hp mother at -10C)
It was an amazing machine, perhaps a bit much for here but big bragging rights :)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Back when I lived in Edmonton I had a 500' long driveway that used to drift over something fierce.
I bought a 15 hp John Deere self-propelled blower with electric start (no way can a mere mortal pull start a 15 hp mother at -10C)
It was an amazing machine, perhaps a bit much for here but big bragging rights :)
Holy cow a 500' driveway! A stretch that long needs a blower that big!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Haha, I just bought the Honda 720 this morning.

-f
Good for you. I'm often reluctant to make specific recommendations for things this pricey. But in the case of these single stage Hondas, I know you will love it. Great investment for your back. Watch out for "neighbour creep" — that urge to do the whole street because it is so much fun.

Wishing you some deep snow in Victoria this year ;)

Congrats!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy cow a 500' driveway! A stretch that long needs a blower that big!
Yes it was a 3.5 acre lot and the house was at the back of the lot, close to the main road allowance. The county would not allow the original owner to build proporty access off the main road so it had to go the the subdivision road which was at the front.

francist

Super User
Wishing you some deep snow in Victoria this year ;)

Looks like you got your wish! We got hammered pretty good last night -- 18" at my place and a foot or so at work. The little Honda's working like a champ though, am I ever glad I listened to your recommendation! I have about 3000 sq metres over four properties and it's just the ticket.

-frank

Honda in action 2020.jpg