• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Snowblower recommendation, anyone?

francist

Super User
Hey guys, had a thought that maybe this might be a good place to ask. I'm looking for a snowblower -- actually at this point I'm just looking for an amount to stick into my upcoming budget next week -- for the odd time that we get snow down here. Before anyone laughs too, too hard, yes we do get snow but obviously not a ton and not regularly. But, I have about 3500 sq metres paved surface over 4 properties that I have to clear when it does and it's starting to add up to a lot of man-hours on the shovels.

Anybody have any experience with the Yardworks ones from Canuck Tire? I'm kind of leaning towards their two-stage 24" model for around the $1200 mark. Seems like a reasonable size to maneuver around sidewalk frontages as well as open parking surface without compromising one for the other.

In all probability the thing will probably sit in the shed for 51 out of 52 weeks but that's ok. I look at it kind of like insurance -- most of the time you never use it but when you need to you you're glad you have it.

Thoughts or recommendations?

-frank

Capture Yardworks 208cc 24.JPG

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
His member information says Victoria, I assume B.C. I have never owned a Yardworks snowblower. I have a 24" two stage Cub Cadet and I really like it. Nice maneuverability, it has little paddles under the handles that cut out the drive to the wheel on the same side. Makes turning much less of a chore. For as often as you are going to use it, likely won't wear out. Likely, you will have more of a problem with gas gumming up the carb. I use premium gas in mine and never have a problem and don't have to add stabilizer of any kind.

francist

Super User
Sorry, yes I am in Victoria. I'm used to another forum where my member info automatically displays, my apologies.

Thanks for that Hruul, I'll keep that in mind. I get it about the fuel thing, I've got a spanking new Honda emergency dewatering pump that only gets used for a 15 minute exercise every month. Bought the beast almost three years ago and haven't even had to add fuel yet!

-frank

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The ethanol in fuel is whats hardest on small engines.

Husqvarna and Honda have pretty good reputations, but as mentioned if it’s not heavy usage probably anything will do for quite a few years

francist

Super User
Yeah that's actually what made me think about asking here. I'm pretty sure I can't swing the cost of a Honda past the boss though, otherwise it would be a no-brainer.

-frank

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
LOL. Yeah, I love my snowblowers. I do 26 properties in Calgary, and have been using machines since I was a kid. I've had Craftsman, Yamaha, Toro, Honda, Ariens, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet and MTD/Yardworks as well as a bunch of rebranded big box ones. This conversation could go on for days, but to me the first question is 1 or 2 stage.

For your climate I would recommend single stage, not two stage. 90% of people that want or need a blower go in thinking of two stage— but in reality single stage is a better choice for a household that is not an acreage. Single stage cleans much better for 90% of snow conditions: it scrapes down to the ground and is good (depending on the model and brand) for up to a foot. I have a beast of a 2 stage (and have had 3 stage models in the past) that only get used in a small percentage of the storms. For example, my small 5HP single stage never stalled in any Calgary storm. You need to slow down your speed, but it never failed. I did upgrade it to a 7HP single stage model years ago, but it wasn't really necessary. I did it so I could give my smaller 10 year old machine to an elderly friend.

The biggest reason I use my big 2 stage machine is because after 26 properties my back kills me using a single stage. The two stage machine is a beast and there is no back strain, but it doesn't clean down to the sidewalk or driveway perfectly like a single stage does. Single stage machines are my go-to blowers. The big ones are more fun, but in Calgary at least, only needed occasionally or if you are a professional. Two stage ones are almost useless on 1" of snow as the scraper bar rides above the snowline; single stage machines use rubber paddles or augers that sweep the actual sidewalk. Beautiful results!

Take a look at these vids to see what I mean. The first one is in Calgary (not me in the vid). There is 6-8 inches of snow here, and it is wet (closer to what you will get in Victoria).
The second is almost a foot of snow in the states. Same 5HP single stage.
The third is a 7HP single stage.

A GREAT resource is: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/

As you can tell I am a big Honda fan. (Also Yamaha). Toro makes a nice single stage machine as well. Personally I would stay away from the big box ATD/Yardworks, etc. models. Can't count how many of those I have fixed over the years and always when you need them the most. The Hondas, Yamahas and Toro have great resale value if taken care of, and always start. I rebuilt a Honda HS520 including the side skid plates from 16 gauge steel and resold it for 75% of list price 10 years later. I got that price becuase it was a Honda and I sold it during a big snow week when few of the big box machines would start. Great machines.

However if you have gravel or grass to blow, two stage with tracks is best. Otherwise you'll shoot gravel like a machine gun. Also, single stage models are no good on EOD (End of Driveway). That's the concrete like stuff left over after the city plow goes by and hardens like a rock afterwards. For that only a two stage with serrated auger is effective. For some people this is a deal breaker.

Lots of good suggestions on the forum link above, but everyone there is brand loyal and have their favourites. We're just as crazy as car guys.

One last tip: no matter what anyone says all snowblowers clog. In Victoria spray the chute and paddles/augers with Fluid Film when the snow is wet. It will help, but not prevent, clogs.

I have the same userid on that forum if you decide to join or need to chat.

Best of luck! I love Victoria :)

Last edited:

francist

Super User
That's great advice Peter, thank you!

Fortunately not too much "EOD" here (love that terminology! :) and the grass and gravel doesn't get done anyway. Just asphalt, concrete sidewalk, and pavers. All in pretty good shape, and your point about scraping close is well-taken. A lot of what I clear for is foot traffic, so the closer the shave the better.

I'm going to have a look at the videos and rethink my earlier bias. This kind of reminds me of the HSS vs carbide question people often run up against. Just because it sounds beefier doesn't make it right for everything.

Thanks again, I appreciate the insights.

-frank

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
LOL. Yeah, I love my snowblowers. I do 26 properties in Calgary, and have been using machines since I was a kid. I've had Craftsman, Yamaha, Toro, Honda, Ariens, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet and MTD/Yardworks as well as a bunch of rebranded big box ones. This conversation could go on for days, but to me the first question is 1 or 2 stage.

For your climate I would recommend single stage, not two stage. 90% of people that want or need a blower go in thinking of two stage— but in reality single stage is a better choice for a household that is not an acreage. Single stage cleans much better for 90% of snow conditions: it scrapes down to the ground and is good (depending on the model and brand) for up to a foot. I have a beast of a 2 stage (and have had 3 stage models in the past) that only get used in a small percentage of the storms. For example, my small 5HP single stage never stalled in any Calgary storm. You need to slow down your speed, but it never failed. I did upgrade it to a 7HP single stage model years ago, but it wasn't really necessary. I did it so I could give my smaller 10 year old machine to an elderly friend.

The biggest reason I use my big 2 stage machine is because after 26 properties my back kills me using a single stage. The two stage machine is a beast and there is no back strain, but it doesn't clean down to the sidewalk or driveway perfectly like a single stage does. Single stage machines are my go-to blowers. The big ones are more fun, but in Calgary at least, only needed occasionally or if you are a professional. Two stage one are almost useless on 1" of snow as the scraper bar rides above the snowline; single stage machines use rubber paddles or augers that sweep the actual sidewalk. Beautiful results!

Take a look at these vids to see what I mean. The first one is in Calgary (not me in the vid). There is 6-8 inches of snow here, and it is wet (closer to what you will get in Victoria).
The second is almost a foot of snow in the states. Same 5HP single stage.
The third is a 7HP single stage.

A GREAT resource is: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/

As you can tell I am a big Honda fan. (Also Yamaha). Toro makes a nice single stage machine as well. Personally I would stay away from the big box ATD/Yardworks, etc. models. Can't count how many of those I have fixed over the years and always when you need them the most. The Hondas, Yamahas and Toro have great resale value if taken care of, and always start. I rebuilt a Honda HS520 including the side skid plates from 16 gauge steel and resold it for 75% of list price 10 years later. I got that price becuase it was a Honda and I sold it during a big snow week when few of the big box machines would start. Great machines.

However if you have gravel or grass to blow, two stage with tracks is best. Otherwise you'll shoot gravel like a machine gun. Also, single stage models are no good on EOD (End of Driveway). That's the concrete like stuff left over after the city plow goes by and hardens like a rock afterwards. For that only a two stage with serrated auger is effective. For some people this is a deal breaker.

Lots of good suggestions on the forum link above, but everyone there is brand loyal and have their favourites. We're just as crazy as car guys.

One last tip: no matter what anyone says all snowblowers clog. In Victoria spray the chute and paddles/augers with Fluid Film when the snow is wet. It will help, but not prevent, clogs.

Best of luck. I have the same userid on that forum if you decide to join or need to chat.

Best of luck! I love Victoria :)
Gosh, I know so much more about snow blowers now that I feel like I should buy one! I knew we were going to get some valuable information here! I hope you don't need a snow blower very often in Victoria but when you do, it will be fun knowing that you have the right machine to handle the job. The right machine makes all the difference in so many tasks.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I grew up in Victoria one year we got sleds for Xmas but had to wait 3 years to use them on Henderson hill in Oak Bay.

francist

Super User
So true.
And then there’s this, from 1996. I think I shovelled for two weeks straight...

My 1962 Buick is right behind this big boxwood, see it? It’s black.
B22A7044-448A-4DFD-A2BE-4053AB7526AA.jpeg B9A529D5-C0F9-47B5-B61D-B59495DFD51A.jpeg
64E3F4DC-E741-4F76-8D7B-A684CE448D65.jpeg

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Holy cow. What a crazy country we live in. I think the guy with the cowboy hat was just visiting from Calgary. He looks dazed, like he landed in Winnipeg by mistake.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have the same Honda 720 as you CalgaryPT. I love it... 99% of the time. The 1% is days exactly like today - wet snow that is moisture sticky. I believe the technical term is perfect snowball snow. I find it clogs up in the chute regardless of the chute orientation, left/right up/down. When it collects & plugs I have to stop, punch it down from the top. It does a slush turd on the sidewalk, then same deal after another 10 meters. If there is a more than a couple of inches of snow, seems like it has enough velocity to throw & doesn't clog. But seems like when its a nuisance amount, it gets 'chute constipation'. Any recs? Would spraying the chute with teflon do anything? Not sure if other blower designs are any different. I've been a Honda boy forever, this is my second. My brother has my old one which I thought was getting on after 10 years but it starts every time & refuses to die.

My other beef on wet snow days like this is the wheels. I just feel like they should be bigger diameter. The snow binds up & it they just skid like the axle is stalled. I cant change the diameter or it would affect the attitude of the blower itself. Maybe just 'better' wheels?

Like I say, in ordinary winter weather it cleans like a dream, but I dread these wet snow 'spring dump' days.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I have the same Honda 720 as you CalgaryPT. I love it... 99% of the time. The 1% is days exactly like today - wet snow that is moisture sticky. I believe the technical term is perfect snowball snow. I find it clogs up in the chute regardless of the chute orientation, left/right up/down. When it collects & plugs I have to stop, punch it down from the top. It does a slush turd on the sidewalk, then same deal after another 10 meters. If there is a more than a couple of inches of snow, seems like it has enough velocity to throw & doesn't clog. But seems like when its a nuisance amount, it gets 'chute constipation'. Any recs? Would spraying the chute with teflon do anything? Not sure if other blower designs are any different. I've been a Honda boy forever, this is my second. My brother has my old one which I thought was getting on after 10 years but it starts every time & refuses to die.

My other beef on wet snow days like this is the wheels. I just feel like they should be bigger diameter. The snow binds up & it they just skid like the axle is stalled. I cant change the diameter or it would affect the attitude of the blower itself. Maybe just 'better' wheels?

Like I say, in ordinary winter weather it cleans like a dream, but I dread these wet snow 'spring dump' days.

Yup...You're in good company. All your issues have been discussed and will continued to be discussed on the forum link I noted above, probably forever LOL. A bunch of crazy guys talking about this stuff until the cows come home. But here's what we've all concluded:

1) Replace your paddles and scrapper bar when you can fit a paint stir stick beneath them and the pavement (about 1/4"). Or, once you notice in dry snow you are pushing snow in front of the machine instead of blowing it. I used mine for 5 hours today. Never clogged once because the paddles were swapped out just a few weeks ago. What happens is when they wear down, the gap inside the machine allows it to cake up and eventually clog. When paddles are new it shoots out of there like crazy and it has no chance to clog. The heat from the mechanical force on the snow melts it (like we all packed snowballs when we were kids), and it gets too heavy to push out. New paddles scrape the inside closer and it doesn't cake up. With new paddles this will only happen if you disengage the auger handle before the snow has processed and cleared the chute. So always run the auger a second after you stop or you'll make the problem worse.

I replace my paddles 4-5 times per season. But if you just do your own property, once likely is enough. Seriously—I know it is pricey, but you won't regret it. If you need help, I'm happy to change yours for you. Only buy OEM--the Amazon aftermarket ones aren't reinforced as well and wear down after a couple of runs. Here's a crappy link from my phone on my CCTV screen from this AM—you can see there is no clogging: https://share.icloud.com/photos/09wvb6O-PmwUhY8IEFMSPQzlg

I am pretty sure this will fix the issue for you 90% of the time. A few years ago I got really geeky and made a spreadsheet of the snow season results. What I noticed was that the clogs in all my machines—including my tracked HSS724—occurred at the beginning or end of season. This I suspect is because the snow is wet then. So now I always install new paddles at the beginning of the season even if the old paddles still have life in them. Later in the season as the temperature drops (and if the old paddles are, say, 70% still good) I'll put these back on before another new set. They preform well as long as the snow isn't wet.

2) The general consensus is Fluid Film, not Teflon. For some reason FF just works better and stays on longer. I spray the chute and all the augers. This AM I sprayed a bunch on. The stuff smells like pork sausage to me, but that's not a bad thing. It does help. Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, etc. all sell it. If you have kids spray it on the bottom of their toboggan or Krazy Karpets. They'll have fun!

I have the same issue with my wheels in wet snow. Some people think it is the exhaust as it seems to happen more on the left wheel than the right. On the earlier model, the 520, it never happened. Same design, just bigger engine. So maybe it is the weight compressing the snow on the wheels? It is a bit of a mystery to everyone, but there is no service bulletin from Honda on it (yet). It's annoying, but only in wet conditions and sure doesn't take away from the best features of the machine. I am going try some different wheels on mine as I love to mod these blowers.

It is also more annoying with old paddles. With new paddles the machine pulls me along faster than I can walk, so you have to be careful. The wheels aren't even being used when this happens.

Oh, and I had a Toro single stage once where the wheels did this too. So it's nothing unique to Honda. Bigger wheels like you suggest would help.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good info Peter. This machine is quite new & low run time on the paddles thus far. But now that you mention your replacement schedule I'm feeling rather guilty & come to think of it - you're right. It tends to pull when new & require more push when wearing. Hmmmm.... Dont disown me but I think I ran the prior model 5 or 6 years without paddle/track replacement. I did the track & paddle rebuild & bit of tuneup. It ran like a champ another 4 years & that's the one my brother has. I typically do 5 houses on my corner per job.

Another thing on this 720 is I will get the odd clunk on ever so slightly slightly mismatched sidewalk crack. Kind of like your video at 0:16 LOL. I have attributed that to to the new track/blade thingy maybe being a bit low. When I had it in for service I had them look at the setting specifically & they said it was OK, as per factory. My prior Honda didn't do that. But it did get wet snow bunged up though.

I will spend some time reading on that forum, thanks I missed that the first time. I'd like to take you up on the paddle overhaul one day, or pop over when you are doing yours. Maybe it's something I could replicate if I saw how it was done. Thus far servicing has been occasional trips to Pro-Am (Adventure Honda) where I bought it.