• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

RF30 Basement Install

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
whoa, craig -you do NOT use 2 breakers. The breaker you linked to is the wrong breaker. You use a double that is tied together with a bar. It is irresponsible and out of code to use 2 breakers to do a 220V circuit without tyinbg them together.

Better to buy a 'double' in the first place. My offer stands to help you out with this. Asp @PeterT about my work.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know the feeling of wanting to get up & running but have an informed plan & do it right. Yes, take Dabbler up on electrical consultation.
Lots of collective wisdom already contributed but I'm pretty sure you need to run a specific kind of wire from panel to new outlet if its to be mounted external to the wall vs internally?
And there are plugs and there are plugs.
And thus concludes my electrical knowledge which can be conveyed on the back of a stamp with a fat jiffy marker. LoL

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Better to buy a 'double' in the first place.

Define what you mean by "double" so that I can source the correct breaker. What I linked to is a STAB-LOK® Double Pole 15-Amp Circuit Breaker. I'll get you involved before I purchase anything. I'm still educating myself on how this all works.

Craig

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I took a look at the breakers in my garage panel. They look exactly like the one you linked to. They have a metal pin that ties them together. The one you linked to may have it too.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Th original Federal double breakers had a bar that snapped into the levers to bridge them. Federal has been out of business for years - the new company that makes the breakers for Stab-loc panels didn't include the bar in the ones I bought recently. They sell a permanently tied double breaker for this purpose. I don't know why.

There should be a tie bar in the package.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Tom O I can't tell from the picture, and I had to return one that wasn't tied - and they look nearly identical. the telltale was the hole through both paddles with a SS tube tying them together.

This may be an updated design. the problem is that if they don't move together (which Craig can check in-store) he needs the Other one... In my instance, I bought 3 breakers from the same lockup bin, looking essentially identical. One of them was wrong. No obvious outside physical difference.

That's why I thought to mention it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Appreciate all the help guys. Learning lots here.

So I need one where you can't throw each poll independently, hence if one trips it will trip the other side mechanically. Does that sound like an accurate description?

@Johnwa your image clarifies it for me. Thanks.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Just to throw my 0.02 cents in- you’ll have two hots, (likely red and black), a neutral (usually white) and a bare copper for a ground. It’ll be called 12-3 or 14-3 because nobody counts the ground

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Just to throw my 0.02 cents in- you’ll have two hots, (likely red and black), a neutral (usually white) and a bare copper for a ground. It’ll be called 12-3 or 14-3 because nobody counts the ground

I have 12-2 and 14-2? There are only 3 wires going into the FWD-STOP-REV switch.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
For this motor you only need the two hot lines and ground. The neutral is not used. You therefore only need 14-2 plus the ground.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
For this motor you only need the two hot lines and ground. The neutral is not used. You therefore only need 14-2 plus the ground.

My 12-2 and 14-2 wire is two insulated wires and a bare ground. Are we talking the same thing here?