• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

RF30 Basement Install

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well.... wasn't hard to disassemble.

MDISASSEBLED .JPG

No centrifugal switch to disconnect. Lots of dust. The fan and fan cover cowling are plastic???

ROTBETCENTERS.JPG

Should be able to do something with this. Just have to careful not to take too much off.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
:oops:Ooooops….. not exactly what I intended.

WMWPULLEY.JPG

I managed to take the shaft down to 0.858" on the first pass so now it's 0.0075" undersize. I thought I had just touched the tool to the shaft for the first pass not intending to take anything significant off?????

I any event I don't think it's a write off. There is a little bit of wiggle but not much. That pulley wiggles a little on the 1 ph motor as well.

Making the key is going to be fun.... I need the pulley on the mill to make the key yet I need the pulley off the mill to check the fit:(

Johnwa

Ultra Member
You get to use your drive plate and custom center, that’s a win!
Were you using a carbide or HSS tool? It’s hard to take a few thou with carbide.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Were you using a carbide or HSS tool? It’s hard to take a few thou with carbide.

I used a HSS tool due to the interrupted cut from the key way. Finish was excellent, just removed a little more material than I intended.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Motor is back together now...

BTOGETHER.JPG

Everything is working as it should. On to making the key next.

So.... no one answered my question as to where to connect the ESD switch. On the 1 phase side or on the 3 phase side?

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Is the ESD the primary method for stopping the mill?

No, I'll use the VFD stop button for that. The ESD is the panic button and I though I would use it to power down the VFD when not in use however I question using it on the 1 phase side now since the VFD stays active for quite some time when it's unplugged (for more than a few seconds). Must have a large capacitor in it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
No, I'll use the VFD stop button for that. The ESD is the panic button and I though I would use it to power down the VFD when not in use however I question using it on the 1 phase side now since the VFD stays active for quite some time when it's unplugged (for more than a few seconds). Must have a large capacitor in it.
I think then it makes sense to put on the three phase side. Which leg of the three is better answered by an expert.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Interesting..... would that imply you shouldn't run the VFD without a 3 phase load attached?

turner

Why is it hard to take a few thou with carbide? I thought it was just me?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Why is it hard to take a few thou with carbide? I thought it was just me?
Carbide tends to be ”dull” compared to a sharp HSS tool. It can be sharpened but the the edge is very fragile. I can dial in and take of 10 to 15 thou and it will be as accurate as I can measure. If I try a couple of thou then it just rubs until I advance the tool enough that it starts to cut more than I want.

John Conroy

Premium Member
The manual also says to make all wiring connections before powering up the VFD. I think they are mostly concerned with safety, I don't know if any harm would result from having no load attached.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Craig do NOT disconnect the motor from the VFD at any time! Your VFD can be ruined by the surges it will cause.

Your ESD switch, if you wire it on the primary side, will kill the power, but allow the motor to wind down freewheeling. If that's what you want, then your question is answered. On my TECO, there is provision for an orderly shutdown via an external switch, which would be how I'd wire it.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have an ESD wired to mine, but it is a low-voltage input to the VFD which signals the stopping of the motor (VFD stays powered). The VFD allowed for the configuration of a bunch of inputs and this was one of the options. Similar to how you can choose a forward/reverse/jog etc. When you invoke the ESD -- it outputs AES on the VFD so you know it is engaged.

In addition, I use a 220V contactor on the 1ph input side that is my master off (I don't leave it running when I'm not using it.