New lathe choices in Canada

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Another option is to make friends with a truck driver, I hear some of them don’t mind bringing stuff home ;)

A full size lathe might be hard to smuggle unless you tarp it and if I have to tarp a lathe that just moved it from “favour” into the “you owe me money” category :mad:

Tom is right though, the bumper and tailgate I brought back from Texas they didn’t even look at, or want to see paperwork. I was down there over a week both times and they were both under the $800 limit for paying duty

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Montana mailbox ha pretty fair rates. I don’t think I’ve paid more than 5 bucks for a parcel . Palette rates are also fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ship it to one of postal forward locations near the border, it probably cost you like 30 USD extra. If you are just 30min of the border, once it opens, just drive over, load onto your truck and pay 5% GST (AB). If you stay in US for 48h you can save on 800 worth of taxes. If you divide the package into two, you can save 1600 if taking someone with you.

Note they tax you on the 300 shipping to the US - strange rule - if item arrives in Canada no tax on shipping, but if item picked up in US, tax on shipping.

In AB we have also a forward service, through not worth it for 30min.

Process is easy, arrive at the border with lathe, show them the receipt, pay your tax and drive away, if no lineup its under 15min, no broker needed.

There is a depot right on the other side of the border, Ryden's Border Store. It has been practice for many years to have parcels shipped there, to the point where they built an extra garage for storage. That is, in fact, where the lathe is going, included in the $300 flat rate. We do "just drive over" when the borders are open. But at this point, in Ontario, Premier Ford just implemented a "Stay at home order" as numbers of new COVID cases, in the late second wave, continue to increase and our (meaning Southern Ontario...you guys!!!:mad::mad:.....:D) ICU units are getting near capacity. Ironically, in Thunder Bay, we are seeing a decline finally, in active cases, and few new ones daily.... but Ford's order is not regionally based, so we are caught in it. The shipping to Grand Portage will not take place for another month yet, minimum, as the lathes have not even left China yet, I don't think. Precision Matthews don't expect them till late April. Maybe in a month, times will have changed and I will go get it, as we have done for years. If not, then the local company, that only came to be because of our locals frequent ordering to Ryden's, will go get it. I have communicated with them and although something that large is not their norm, they can do it on a special run for me. I have aleady spoke to Rydens too.

So all good.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another option is to make friends with a truck driver, I hear some of them don’t mind bringing stuff home ;)

A full size lathe might be hard to smuggle unless you tarp it and if I have to tarp a lathe that just moved it from “favour” into the “you owe me money” category :mad:

Tom is right though, the bumper and tailgate I brought back from Texas they didn’t even look at, or want to see paperwork. I was down there over a week both times and they were both under the $800 limit for paying duty

So all good.[/QUOTE]

Dave, when it gets closer to being delivered (Early to mid May, I have been told), I will check in with you. I certainly thought of you but had the impression you do not get this way too often.

Thank you for speaking up!! :)
Cheers!

Chicken lights

Dave, when it gets closer to being delivered (Early to mid May, I have been told), I will check in with you. I certainly thought of you but had the impression you do not get this way too often.

Thank you for speaking up!! :)
Cheers!
I was just up to the big city of Longlac last week, went to the Soo to grab a load heading south. Good gawd is 631 from 11 to 17 misery.

Chicken lights

One of those short cuts that seemed like a good idea at the time but wasn't:p What was miserable about it?
If ya dig out a map and look for Longlac you’ll see there aren’t very many choices for roads. :p
No cell service, no FM radio, bunch of sharp corners, rough road, the normal Northern Ontario BS

Better than where I delivered-
50E34958-40A0-466D-B91B-CDEA46EE2617.jpeg D88A38B1-1943-4A83-8CCF-003170A2B7F3.jpeg

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, unfortunately, we are not know for great roads! But how about that highway twinning you were on a few weeks back? They are working on the next piece now, from Pass Lake to Nipigon (ish..don't know how far they are going. ) It makes our drive to the cottage quite nice, for half. After next year, twinned almost right to our turn! Sweeeet!!

:)

Proxule

Ultra Member
Do you mind sharing what the pm1236 pep cost. I was going to pull the trigger and then seen you mentioned it jumped 300$?

Did you opt for cast iron stand?

Thanks

Proxule

Ultra Member
Precision Matthew quote came back as $4726 US after taxes, shipping to the border, cast iron stand and High precision keyless drill chuck.
Converts to $5900 Can

They are working on shipping costs to my door since I am so close., which will include the Trump tariff.
Found out the drill chuck is not available so that will not be available. A chuck is easy enough to get here. I have a couple for my lathe so could keep one of those too and change the taper in it.....

So that is 300 for shipping. So the lathe was 4100$?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So that is 300 for shipping. So the lathe was 4100$?

Read through the posts, he explains the cost break down. The $300 was to the US border at Grand Portage, MN. He needs to get the lathe to Thunder Bay, ON.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Read through the posts, he explains the cost break down. The $300 was to the US border at Grand Portage, MN. He needs to get the lathe to Thunder Bay, ON.

Craig is correct. I know I was trying to provide running updates but it does get confusing if you don't read this thread as it evolved.

Bottom line, the lathe was $3999 US dollars (price before the 400 increase) plus stand @ 299 (optional but they had no date on the other stand so I got this one.) plus 299 shipping. That price previously mentioned included the keyless chuck but they had not stock nor expected date so it was removed leaving basically, 4597 US. I will have taxes at the border but no duty. And then brokerage fees, depending on how you can bring it in, which, apparently, may depend upon province......

I should add that the sales staff at Precision Matthews have been super to deal with! Emails are quickly answered and he was quick to adjust my price when I pointed out that my credit card charge was substantially different than the quote recently provided. So far, as their reputation was, they look like an upstanding company!

If you visit blondiehacks (online machinist channel), she uses PM. In one video, she goes over problems she had with a mill from them, the repair process, and interactions with PM. Of course, her being an internet presence, it would be in the company's best interest to really treat her well, and they did. Cheap marketing for them. But, in my research, I have heard nothing else that contradicts that philosphy so feel good about the purchase. Wish I could have stayed in Canada but we do not seem to have the level of care (although, from postings here, it sounds like Modern in Calgary does, they did not have the size I wanted and costs were several thousand more to jump up to the 1440. Honestly, if I was in Calagary, I probably would have jumped up to that size, 1, because I could have seen it, touched it....( I fall in love quickly :rolleyes: ) and 2, they just sound good to deal with)

So @Proxule , I don't know where you live but if you can get to an actual machinery dealer, might be worth it to visit first. If running out of choices in Canada, then, so far, I would recommend Precision Matthews. Hopefully, I am not premature on that.

Cheers,

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Soooo, thinking the lathe has not even left China yet, I received this email late last night!!

We are happy to say that the PM1236 Lathe that you have been waiting on

has arrived at our warehouse. We are beginning our inspections on these

machines, running them and looking them over to make sure they are up to

our standards.

Once these inspections are complete, we will begin shipping out the back

orders as fast as we can, we understand these were delayed and many of

you are in need of your machine. Each of the machines that have arrived

are spoken for already, so we will be shipping them out in the order

that each was received. If you ordered your machine in 2020, it is

likely your order will be ready to ship out later this week or early

next week, if any changes are needed to be made, please let us know

right away. Once your order ships out, you will receive tracking

information in an email. If you will be out of town any time in the

next 3 weeks for more than a few days, please let us know so we can plan

your shipment accordingly.

Sounds like I got my order in at about the perfect time. I was told 6 were left available on the shipment, then 5, then I caused 4, and now it sounds like they are sold out again, but that might be just a general comment. One would have to call or email them to find out.

Woo Woo!!!! Better start cleaning....:eek: Need to pull a 240 line over to it too or make some changes in that area. There is a 240 receptacle in the area that was intended for an air compressor and is not being used now. It is dedicated and available, but about 15 feet away. Or just pull a whole new circuit in....decisions, decisions,.....:D

Proxule

Ultra Member
Much appreciated on the price breakdown, and happy to hear you are getting yours NOW!
I am not keen on the price bump, I am not sold on the PM yet.
Thanks\

Tom O

Ultra Member
15‘ or so feet of armoured cable shouldn’t set you back much mind you it’s the route you plumb it that usually adds on another 15 or so feet.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
15‘ or so feet of armoured cable shouldn’t set you back much mind you it’s the route you plumb it that usually adds on another 15 or so feet.

I am not worried about that part. In fact, if the compressor circuit is 20 amp, might just put a cover plate and conduit fitting in place of the receptacle and surface mount conduit to my spot. I see the new lathe specs a 20 Amp circuit. I probably have most of what I need already. More my comfort zone than making metal parts.....;)
BX will work too, just a little less attractive than a nice conduit run since it will be visible.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Shawn, that was my Emco you mentioned earlier in the thread. It sold fast. I wish I had 10 more, they all would have sold that day. Anyways, to add to the discussion, business owners and employees can cross the border. So if you were to register a personal company, called Shawn R******* Enterprises (it costs $65, if i recall), and got your Master Business License, you can cross. You'll need to register as an importer as well, which is free. I presume you ordered the lathe in your name, so make sure you call your business something with your name in it. You can only cross for business purposes. You can only bring back items for your business. Hope this helps.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Shawn, that was my Emco you mentioned earlier in the thread. It sold fast. I wish I had 10 more, they all would have sold that day. Anyways, to add to the discussion, business owners and employees can cross the border. So if you were to register a personal company, called Shawn R******* Enterprises (it costs $65, if i recall), and got your Master Business License, you can cross. You'll need to register as an importer as well, which is free. I presume you ordered the lathe in your name, so make sure you call your business something with your name in it. You can only cross for business purposes. You can only bring back items for your business. Hope this helps.

Thanks @dfloen but I think I will let the local broker bring it in rather than go through the business setup. $375 and they deliver to my door. I used them last week for a plasma cutter and they are very well organized.

Regards,