• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New lathe choices in Canada

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Interesting. And comes with taper attachment. The Lenmark doesn't say anything about other accessories so good to check. Its probably the same package but you never know.
https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produ...athe/kc-1440ml-2-14-x-40-gearhead-metal-lathe

must be typo on the King specs. I thing D1-5 & MT6 go together but why would they package a D1-4 faceplate?
Web page: 12" D1-5 camlock face plate
Spec sheet: 12" D1-4 camlock face plate, TAPER IN HEADSTOCK MT #6

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am looking at 1236. The thread did steer towards 1440's bit I am still thinking I don't want that big in my shop.

The Precision Matthews 1236 PEP is looking doable right now. I have emailed with the company that has been bringing things over the border. Pricing looks reasonable for getting it to my house. But I am off to spend some time on a KC1236 this week and will see "how it feels"....:rolleyes:

Brent H

Ultra Member
@ShawnR : I will keep my eyes peeled for a Standard Modern for you....there were 2 for sale in Timmins - $3000 for both. I should have just bought them at the time....alas.... You will probably have a 1236 before then.....but I will look just in case...

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
ShawnR - I missed the part where you are in Thunder Bay when I mentioned the machines in Leduc, oops. I thought you were a bit south of Leduc, not just a bit east lol.
But I am off to spend some time on a KC1236 this week and will see "how it feels"....:rolleyes:
Are you going to a dealer?

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Probably a dealer. Right now, the forerunner is ordering from Precision Matthews. Dragging a bit cause I figure something will pop up here right after I order but if I understand correctly, it should be better than a King Canada and landed here will be cheaper.

This popped up a little while ago, very near me

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1556449333

I think my introduction to a metal lathe happened on one of these when I worked at a hospital back in 1987! MIght go see it. Not really what I was looking for but heard good things about them. The guy has it tricked out for sure!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That one has a QCGB and a DRO both desirable features. Also a quick change tool post. The brand is unrecognizable though in the pictures. It's an EMCO - aren't those supposed to be pretty good? I don't know. it has one of those weird bolted on milling heads. Combo machines are not usually all that great. Still that could be a good alternative to a new craftex as you are getting more features for your money. I would want to try it out.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That one has a QCGB and a DRO both desirable features. Also a quick change tool post....... Combo machines are not usually all that great. Still that could be a good alternative to a new craftex as you are getting more features for your money. I would want to try it out.
I have contacted him. Yes, I agree, the combos are a compromise. I think the biggest loss is in the functionality of the mill due to loss of rigidity. But then they are smaller machines. He is away this weekend but says he has a few guys who want to come see it. Not really what I was looking for but worth a visit. It is only about 10 minutes from my place.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess the search is off. A new Precision Matthews 1236PEP is ordered and paid for. Won't see it till mid May though. supposedly

I had emailed back and forth with them and received quotes for shipping to the nearby border and all the way into Canada. It is better for me to have it shipped to the border and a local broker to bring it in for me. But with recent talks, there is a slim chance that nearby borders could be open by then so I might be able to bring it in myself. (slim chance)

When I actually placed the order, the unit had gone up $400 US! that week.....but they honoured the quote. It was after a conversation with @Brent H that I actually made the order. I was not rushing into it so Thanks Brent for getting me going on it.

Thanks for all of the input.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Congrats- A nice step up from where you are now and you will be happy with it. I believe they quote $299 to ship to the border. How much more did they quote to have it shipped to your door?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well congratulations, that's a big happy purchase. Stop looking at other models and prices (if you figure out how to do this, let me know how) and start planning on how to enjoy your purchase.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Congrats- A nice step up from where you are now and you will be happy with it. I believe they quote $299 to ship to the border. How much more did they quote to have it shipped to your door?

SHIPPING Shipping Charge to Canada - SAIA-7787947 650.00 650.00T
CUSTOMSFEES Customs Charge GST Tax 252.15 252.15T
CUSTOMSFEES Customs Charge Brokerage Fee 95.00 95.00T

Almost a grand. That is in US dollars. To Grand Portage, MN is $300 and then the local broker will do it to my door for $375 Canadian so probably about half after conversions. No duty on metal lathes so just taxes at the border. I found a whole forum dedicated to Precision Matthews on Hobby Machinist and see that PM posts in there occasionally so they are in touch with their customers. And they have been great so far in emails so I feel good about it, so far. There were 5 left on the shipment scheduled ...and then there was 4....:D

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Stop looking at other models and prices (if you figure out how to do this, let me know how) and start planning on how to enjoy your purchase.

As to stop looking.....lol....right....:confused:

As to planning how to enjoy it....find bigger projects I guess....but I think even the smaller ones will be more enjoyable. Not that they have not been lately, well, you know....:rolleyes:

Might just cut a whole bunch of different pitch threads and not get my fingers covered in grease, or curse counting teeth cause I am not quite sure what that stamp says on that gear...or....maybe flatten a really big face with a power feed....just cause....:D

Crankit

SHIPPING Shipping Charge to Canada - SAIA-7787947 650.00 650.00T
CUSTOMSFEES Customs Charge GST Tax 252.15 252.15T
CUSTOMSFEES Customs Charge Brokerage Fee 95.00 95.00T

Almost a grand. That is in US dollars. To Grand Portage, MN is $300 and then the local broker will do it to my door for $375 Canadian so probably about half after conversions. No duty on metal lathes so just taxes at the border. I found a whole forum dedicated to Precision Matthews on Hobby Machinist and see that PM posts in there occasionally so they are in touch with their customers. And they have been great so far in emails so I feel good about it, so far. There were 5 left on the shipment scheduled ...and then there was 4....:D

Shawn

Was that a flat charge for shipping to the border? No duties on lathes is good news...I thought Canada would have tagged some on it for being an import. I might apply for my import license now for the potential of running across the line to bring back a mill in the future.

Cheers

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Shawn

Was that a flat charge for shipping to the border?

Cheers

Shipping to Grand Portage MN. They have a $300 flat fee anywhere in the lower 48 but to bring it across the border, and they mentioned COVID in the conversation, not sure if I would call the fee flat. Probably some logistics worked into it for my location. I am only 30 minutes from the border so if they checked a map, and went this way versus up through Sault Ste Marie, then it is not far into Canada.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Ship it to one of postal forward locations near the border, it probably cost you like 30 USD extra. If you are just 30min of the border, once it opens, just drive over, load onto your truck and pay 5% GST (AB). If you stay in US for 48h you can save on 800 worth of taxes. If you divide the package into two, you can save 1600 if taking someone with you.

Note they tax you on the 300 shipping to the US - strange rule - if item arrives in Canada no tax on shipping, but if item picked up in US, tax on shipping.

In AB we have also a forward service, through not worth it for 30min.

Process is easy, arrive at the border with lathe, show them the receipt, pay your tax and drive away, if no lineup its under 15min, no broker needed.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Postal forward locations charge storage at high rates if you leave it there longer than, say, a week. It is by size. A 36" square surface plate was going to be 40$ a day for storage at the one near the BC border. I cancelled the order because I couldn't get to it for 3 weeks. Standridge sold it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Depends on postal forward locations and on size it occupies on their shelfs - usually packages are free for some time but freight may not be. Obviously check with them on all prices as they do change and each location is quite different.

For example, here https://www.montanashipping.com/montana-shipping-receiving/

Freight is free storage for 15 days, but you pay after that. Start at $20 per freight. So unless you are getting a large lathe I doubt you go over 30 USD and I would want my toy a bit sooner then 15 days anyways.