• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New lathe choices in Canada

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was making wheels for the sander today.....can hardly wait for the new lathe! It is not going to make me any better or more knowledgeable, but will be nice to use, I am sure!

:D

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I was making wheels for the sander today.....can hardly wait for the new lathe! It is not going to make me any better or more knowledgeable, but will be nice to use, I am sure!

:D
There’s some debate on this forum about Snap On tools versus cheap tools. You may not do better work with your new lathe but it won’t be because the tools are holding you back
Not everyone has the budget for a $150 ratchet nor do most people need that quality but quality tools are a joy to use. Hope you enjoy the new lathe

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There’s some debate on this forum about Snap On tools versus cheap tools. You may not do better work with your new lathe but it won’t be because the tools are holding you back
Not everyone has the budget for a $150 ratchet nor do most people need that quality but quality tools are a joy to use. Hope you enjoy the new lathe

I agree. I have often said to younger guys talking about making a purchase of a tool that I have never regretted buying a quality tool, but often regretted buying a cheap one. For me, usually one in the middle works well enough and gives me the confidence that it won't break.

As for the lathe, an example... I had my lathe set up for a ~.010" feed rate but last week, I needed to thread a mandrel so off come 4 gears, change it all up, and get my 13 pitch set up. Left it on there and in the last week, several times I wanted to do some tool feeding but was too lazy to change all the gears out again, wishing I had the option to throw a lever and get a tool feed I could use. Yesterday, I needed to cut that 1/2" thread again so the 13 pitch already geared was convenient. But then I needed the tool feed back to something usable so off come 4 gears again, clean off old grease, move all the banjos, yada yada .....:rolleyes:.

That will be some of the biggest sense of "joy" I get out of this purchase. And all the other little things. I will probably still miss my boring diameter occasionally or botch up something, but have more fun doing it. And to fix it won't be a detour of tasks...

Cheers,

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
On the other hand, you now know how to adjust the banjos and replace the gears on the lathe. My first (and only) lathe came with a gear box, so no need to change gears or adjust them. So, I have not had that experience, and honestly I don't want to mess with it just in case I screw it up.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Regarding gear-changes, If I were doing it every hour, or was using this to earn revenue I'd have an issue with it. As it is, yes I change gears, but I use it as an opportunity to check my belts, pullies, lubrication etc.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On the other hand, you now know how to adjust the banjos and replace the gears on the lathe. My first (and only) lathe came with a gear box, so no need to change gears or adjust them. So, I have not had that experience, and honestly I don't want to mess with it just in case I screw it up.

True, I used to be afraid of doing it for the same reasons. Finally, a few years ago, I decided to do it more often. I made it easier by making a tool that combines most of the 4 tools required to do it(actually 5 different tools required), then made a knurled knob for the door so I would not have to find the allen key to open that with, and then made a stand to hold the gears somewhat organized. It was much easier after doing that...

Regarding gear-changes, If I were doing it every hour, or was using this to earn revenue I'd have an issue with it. As it is, yes I change gears, but I use it as an opportunity to check my belts, pullies, lubrication etc.

True too. A few changes back, I adjusted the drive motor belts and checked them. Now, the novelty is gone.....

Having whined and complained about that enough....got an email today that my PM1236 has shipped ! Woo Woo! :D

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It wasn't the Emco Compact 8 with a mill/drill head on it ? If so, I might have snagged that one.

That ad was for an Emco V10P that I was selling after I brought my V13 home. Emco machines are like puppies. You want to keep them all. They are that nice.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It wasn't the Emco Compact 8 with a mill/drill head on it ? If so, I might have snagged that one.

Honestly, I am not sure. That would have been in the late 80's. IIRC, it might have been this one or similar, which sounds like the one you got.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page2.html

@Fermic did you buy one that was in a Thunder Bay hospital? Our hospitals amalgamated after I left and I don't know if that machine went into the merger or was sold.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Installed. Powered it up this morning just to see if it works. Some controls, as expected, will need to work in a bit as they seem rough or hard to engage but over all, looks good. After looking at the photos, I see the sling impinged on the chuck guard a bit. I think the photo looks worse than it actually was. No damage done. I guess I was so worried about the balance and placement of the sling, I missed that. My buddy has one of these forklifts and it worked great to move the machine off the trailer once I brought it to the back with the hoe but, as with an engine hoist, we had to play around a bit with positioning of the lathe relative to the stand and forklifts legs. All worked out well.

Now to clean it up and familiarize myself with it, level it, etc. It has a few more controls than what I am used to! As per the manual, and common sense, I went to check the cam locks on the chuck before turning it on. The key does not work on 1 of the three. a 3/8" ratchet extension seems to get in there. Is this normal? Or maybe just after taking it off and putting it on again, the socket will align in a different position but as it sits now, the key will not work.

I will get into a bit of a review on it later as I use it a bit.

Attachments

• 20210428_153942.jpg
    20210428_153942.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210430_121054.jpg
    20210430_121054.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210430_165641.jpg
    20210430_165641.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Dans forklift.jpg
    Dans forklift.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 46

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
How much counter weight do you have in the hoe? I have a little hoe for my tractor and there is no way it will lift that lathe, your setup is beefier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Pictures from well-known-member, I assume Dan's fork lift moved your lathe into the shop placing it on it's stand?

That's a neat fork lift never seen one like it before. What brand name is it?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
How much counter weight do you have in the hoe? I have a little hoe for my tractor and there is no way it will lift that lathe, your setup is beefier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Kevin I would think the hoe was close to being maxed out although the lift worked.