• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

My next CNC project - a PrintNC router

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Finally managed to get into the shop after the heat dome.
Got the X axis rollers done and the temporary Z axis plate made.
61009691b28b9bf17d94d448b55a0a85.jpg

7349b55fb64b351b82b9d3a49798d42c.jpg

Need some more M6 hardware though.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It's a bit rough. The maker said his endmill was dull and feed rate was too high. I'm going to give it a pass with my 1" facemill.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, I had them made for me because I didn't have time to get the material and do all the machining.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Not much progress here as I had the shop apart to move the grinder out.
Now I'm waiting on metric hardware for the Z axis and arrival of the new board for the grblHAL system.
I have the X and Y axis completed and everything works using a spare Arduino Mega board. When the new board arrives I'll start the permanent wiring job.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Small progress update...
After a much enjoyed week away I'm back at it.
Managed to secure the rest of the hardware to finish the mechanical build.
And...shocking no one more than myself, I managed to get the custom built, Teensy 4.1-based control board flashed with grblHAL and working with CNCjs and OpenBuilds controller software.
So my next step is to build out the electronics.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey all, thought I best drop in here so you don't think that I've dropped off the planet.
CNC project is slowly progressing but I've been completely occupied with my two full time jobs and numerous Fall house projects.
I'm down a staff member at work so my three person team is two :(
I'm also the treasurer for an independent school and we've been prepping for and working through our inspection by govt officials in advance of our certification.
So not a lot of productive shop time I'm afraid. :(

deleted_user

Super User
I've been jonesing for a CNC router for a while now.
Two main criteria
1) it had to fit on a 2' x3' table...my welding table.
2) it had to be able to mill aluminum with decent results.
Looked at all the options from OpenBuilds, to Scienci to DIY.
On a DIY CNC Facebook group I ran across the PrintNC design. Scaleable, open source, (I'm a big proponent of open source), fully supported by a user/builder base.
https://threedesign.store/

The preferred system for the machine is LinuxCNC. I'm complete Linux noob let alone LinuxCNC. GRBL is another option but I wanted to go with the tried and true. I found a cheap used Dell desktop tonight and installed Linux and LinuxCNC.
Well I tried to...until I ran into a problem.
Remember that user base? One kind fellow walked me through command-line inputs to delete disk partitions like I was an old hand.
And it worked. I have the control PC all setup.
On to the building of the machine.
any idea of your build costs yet?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I paid $1200 for the kit which included:
VFD
2.2KW watercooled spindle
Water pump
4 lengths of linear rail
6 rail blocks
4 stepper motors
4 stepper drivers
ER20 collet set
5 limit switches
1/2 metric tonne of hardware
Cable chains
Steel for the frame was about $100
$90 for a custom Teensy 4.1 breakout board
It will have a working area of 32" w x 24" deep.

I almost pressed buy on a Sienci Longmill before deciding to go this route but they were too big and I also wanted to be able to mill aluminum.

deleted_user

Super User
I paid $1200 for the kit which included:
VFD
2.2KW watercooled spindle
Water pump
4 lengths of linear rail
6 rail blocks
4 stepper motors
4 stepper drivers
ER20 collet set
5 limit switches
1/2 metric tonne of hardware
Cable chains
Steel for the frame was about $100
$90 for a custom Teensy 4.1 breakout board
It will have a working area of 32" w x 24" deep.

I almost pressed buy on a Sienci Longmill before deciding to go this route but they were too big and I also wanted to be able to mill aluminum.
wow that is not bad at all considering that you have a 3 hp water cooled spindle... what is your water supply?

That sounds like it will serve my need well. I had been considering the rs-cnc32 but really wanted a more rigid frame. Still I need to decide soon because I have parts I need made

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
wow that is not bad at all considering that you have a 3 hp water cooled spindle... what is your water supply?

That sounds like it will serve my need well. I had been considering the rs-cnc32 but really wanted a more rigid frame. Still I need to decide soon because I have parts I need made
I'll be going the Home Depot bucket route :p
Well it will be more elegant than that, likely some sort of clear lidded container, with maybe 8 litre capacity.
The PrintNC community is super active. Some of the builds are insanely well done. There's a fair number of Canucks building them too. I printed a full set of parts for a local fellow here and I know of two other machines over in Vancouver.
Wiki: https://wiki.printnc.info/en/home
Build gallery: https://www.notion.so/PrintNC-Gallery-and-Build-Logs-bca2e38f6f4049798569d32599a8b03b
Discord: https://discord.com/channels/648972213734604807/744912871791657081

Last edited:

deleted_user

Super User
I'll be going the Home Depot bucket route :p
Well it will be more elegant than that, likely some sort of clear lidded container, with maybe 8 litre capacity.
The PrintNC community is super active. Some of the builds are insanely well done. There's a fair number of Canucks building them too. I printed a full set of parts for a local fellow here and I know of two other machines over in Vancouver.
Wiki: https://wiki.printnc.info/en/home
Build gallery: https://www.notion.so/PrintNC-Gallery-and-Build-Logs-bca2e38f6f4049798569d32599a8b03b
Discord: https://discord.com/channels/648972213734604807/744912871791657081

I use a large cooler with a drain, and several 1 gallon milk jugs frozen into blocks for such cooling needs.

I think I am convinced... even through the kits are now 1500 and shipping logistics may be an issue...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I use a large cooler with a drain, and several 1 gallon milk jugs frozen into blocks for such cooling needs.

I think I am convinced... even through the kits are now 1500 and shipping logistics may be an issue...
Everything has gone up in price. I ordered mine last Feb I think. Shipping was 'free' if you can believe it.
I forgot that the kit also included three ball screws and the necessary bearing blocks.
The Aliexpress seller has their own channel in the Discord and they have worked very hard to cater to the needs of the community.
I forgot to mention the main site
And therein is a frame size calculator which shoots off your specs to the Aliexpress store who will prepare a quote.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dropped all the major components into the computer case today.
From top left:
VFD
12v power supply for control board
36v power supply for stepper drivers
(fan which will go above the power supplies)
Four stepper drivers
Control board
I will mount another fan on the bottom of the enclosure to blow across the stepper drivers.
Waiting on wire raceway before I can start wiring in earnest.

IMG_8035.jpg