• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Milling Machine DRO

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah you get it in a week or so - DHL is a currier similar to UPS. There will be small duty to pay but even without your own broker DHL is easy on the pocket.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ordered this one tonight. Free shipping to Canada and by the end of November.....:rolleyes: We will see. I know it is not the new LCD screens but I am ok with that.

My first adventure with AliExpress.

Please let us know how this all turns out as well as how the install goes.

I have not had the courage to order a DRO from Ali yet.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Please let us know how this all turns out as well as how the install goes.

I have not had the courage to order a DRO from Ali yet.
I certainly will! My mill is a Sieg X3 so small compared to what the members here have. I have sort of set it up but probably not as well as I should have so while tackling this installation, I will get more into it.

Yes, I hear you on AliExpress website. Their site is almost elusive when looking for details, but the info is there, if not lost in translation. I started looking at it last year but would not checkout the cart I had put several things into at different times. I tried corresponding with them with questions but as much as I got answers, it was still not clear. Maybe I was being too needy. :rolleyes:

But members here seem to have all good to say about it so figured I would just hop in. I will let you know how that part goes too. I put my exact travel length into the comments box, as they say and has been mentioned here. That particular company has a comment on their info that says there scales go 20mm beyond the stated value, which works out great for me as my one length is 403 mm so a 400 might (maybe..?) crash but in their scales, that travel is actually 420 mm so the safety factor is built in (unless I need a 417 length....:p o_O )

For anyone interested, when I started looking at DRO's, the shipping was really high. This is discussed earlier in this thread. But I looked at the options at the top of the screen and checkbox was there on my results page ( "DRO 3 axis kit" ) for "Free Shipping". Checking that cut my options way down and sure enough, similar prices but all free shipping. I noticed my options for the nice new style LCD screens went down too though, so maybe a way of moving out older stock...? This model had a good number of sales (if that is accurate...geez, can you sense my skepticism? ) Just an FYI

Cheers,

thriller007

I certainly will! My mill is a Sieg X3 so small compared to what the members here have. I have sort of set it up but probably not as well as I should have so while tackling this installation, I will get more into it.

Yes, I hear you on AliExpress website. Their site is almost elusive when looking for details, but the info is there, if not lost in translation. I started looking at it last year but would not checkout the cart I had put several things into at different times. I tried corresponding with them with questions but as much as I got answers, it was still not clear. Maybe I was being too needy. :rolleyes:

But members here seem to have all good to say about it so figured I would just hop in. I will let you know how that part goes too. I put my exact travel length into the comments box, as they say and has been mentioned here. That particular company has a comment on their info that says there scales go 20mm beyond the stated value, which works out great for me as my one length is 403 mm so a 400 might (maybe..?) crash but in their scales, that travel is actually 420 mm so the safety factor is built in (unless I need a 417 length....:p o_O )

For anyone interested, when I started looking at DRO's, the shipping was really high. This is discussed earlier in this thread. But I looked at the options at the top of the screen and checkbox was there on my results page ( "DRO 3 axis kit" ) for "Free Shipping". Checking that cut my options way down and sure enough, similar prices but all free shipping. I noticed my options for the nice new style LCD screens went down too though, so maybe a way of moving out older stock...? This model had a good number of sales (if that is accurate...geez, can you sense my skepticism? ) Just an FYI

Cheers,
After having one you will never go back

Hacker

Super User
Nice!! I will be interested to hear how you make out with it. I ordered a unit for my mill from Ditron at the end of last month and received with in a week. All I have done with mine so far is to unbox it and check that it all works. Hopeful I will have time in a couple of weeks to get at it and start the installation process.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm still at the distrust stage.

Got squirreled around by what you all get, what precision, and what technology.

After the dust cleared, I discovered I wouldn't be getting what I thought they were selling.

So I have not ordered yet.

I may end up going with the dro boys in the USA.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered this for my Emco v13 lathe:

I got it the other day and will be installing it soon. So far i'm pretty impressed with the stuff they sent. The magnetic scales are so much smaller than glass.

Hacker

Super User
One thing that I have found when I was shopping around on the internet was that companies like Ditron sell on different sites and their prices are also different. When I purchased mine they were selling the four axis package on Amazon and AliExpress. AliExpress was 50 dollars less and free shipping while Amazon they were charging 35 dollars for shipping. I contacted the vendor through Amazon and asked if they would match the AliExpress price and shipping and they did.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is what I've been looking for but the price seems a bit high. I LOVE your idea of price matching through Amazon! I NEVER would have thought of trying that on my own!

Hacker

Super User
This has worked for me a couple of times with Amazon vendors. I find the shipping with AliExpress can be very slow so prefer using Amazon.
Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This has worked for me a couple of times with Amazon vendors. I find the shipping with AliExpress can be very slow so prefer using Amazon.
Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works.

Yep, learning the slow boat from China thing is going on. When I placed the order, it said arrival by the end of November, which I doubted of course. Now it says it has shipped but still in China and no further tracking information is available. An option on tracking says it should arrive by Feb 22...o_O

Oh well,

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yep, learning the slow boat from China thing is going on. When I placed the order, it said arrival by the end of November, which I doubted of course. Now it says it has shipped but still in China and no further tracking information is available. An option on tracking says it should arrive by Feb 22...o_O

Oh well,
That sounds like Aliexpress to me. They take your payment and almost immediately tell you your order has been shipped and then a month later it appears it is actually getting out the door. Then you wait some more. However despite all the frustrations (misleading or false advertising and shipping claims) I have been "mostly" pleased with my products in the end when I take into account the purchase price. My DRO was my best purchase and I think you will liley be happy with yours also.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, that is actually good news for me. Thanks for letting me know.

If it is the norm, then I can accept it. I have come up with a few mill projects but now waiting anxiously, like a kid at Christmas when he knows what he is getting.
:rolleyes:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I saw that BusyBee has some DROs on sale if you are near Mississauga.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My current AliExpress order.....

1639277268545.png

They claim delivered by Dec 27. What the H is object routed supposed to mean?