• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling Machine DRO

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
keep looking on ali express, i buy quite a few things from them and bang good, you can usually find a retailer with free shipping the base cost is just typically higher

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
keep looking on ali express, i buy quite a few things from them and bang good, you can usually find a retailer with free shipping the base cost is just typically higher

Yup, like a set of 4 casters for $40 (great!) oh.. $150 in shipping (not so great) then $70 for 4 casters and free shipping... well that's better but not great.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
David,

When you have a chance would you be willing to measure the length of your scales? If they aren't too hard to access. I would rather order the right size than have to cut them down, and possibly break (for sure break with my luck lately) the glass.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Will do, bear in mind that the X-axis length depends on the size of your table. Mine is short'ish at 28" (I think)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Will do, bear in mind that the X-axis length depends on the size of your table. Mine is short'ish at 28" (I think)

Good David said it. My table is bigger than David's and your PDM may be different yet again. You have to measure and keep in mind the scale lengths come in incremental lengths. So if you don't want to mess with the scale you will probably have to live with a scale that's not quite the optimal length. Then again, are you really ever going to use the full length of your table? Probably not.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Good David said it. My table is bigger than David's and your PDM may be different yet again. You have to measure and keep in mind the scale lengths come in incremental lengths. So if you don't want to mess with the scale you will probably have to live with a scale that's not quite the optimal length. Then again, are really ever going to use the full length of your table? Probably not.

This is very true.
My C-axis scale is the full length of my table but there no way that use the full length of it because the hand wheels hit the base before I reach the end of the scale.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Tomc938
My Y axis scale is 15.25" long
Z axis is 11" long. It could be 10" long because at 11" it hit the underneath of the belt housing.
My X axis scale is as long as my table at 24"
I can go all the way to the right end of the table but not the left side because I have a power feed on the left side which takes up about 3 inches.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the guidance! My table is 30", but I can imagine that I would seldom do a project that requires 5 micron measurement over 30"!

The Y and Z lengths are also very helpful.

Hopefully I will have a spot cleared in my garage and have it up on the stand so I can give it a whirl.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well this is going to take longer than I though. I tore the muscle in my calf yesterday and will be on crutches for the next little while. What a great start to summer.......

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Like most injuries that happen to us "older males", I wasn't acting my age. I went to sprinting up the stairs two it a time, and when I pushed off I heard a loud snap, felt like something and hit me in the back of the calf, and basically went face first into the stairs.

I think I might've strained the leg doing some snowshoeing on one of our local mountains a couple months back.

Will make for a lot more boring summer than I had hoped. On the upside I don't really have much pain unless I try to move it.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
WOW - I got a DRO like... two months ago? Let me see how much I paid... 217 CAD with shipping included. It was 2 axis model for my lathe. No Lcd, just regular. Regular precision. Shipped UPS.

Current price is the same. Same shipping. All the same.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919941724.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.224181d3LB0tj8

So, I was looking at one of these, a 2 axis for my lathe. Is there somewhere in the ordering process where they ask you what length of scales you want / need or do they just ship both scales "plenty long" and its up to you to cut them ?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So, I was looking at one of these, a 2 axis for my lathe. Is there somewhere in the ordering process where they ask you what length of scales you want / need or do they just ship both scales "plenty long" and its up to you to cut them ?
Yes the dro I ordered from Aliexpress asked the scale size when I made the order and cut them to correct size.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Well this is going to take longer than I though. I tore the muscle in my calf yesterday and will be on crutches for the next little while. What a great start to summer.......

Somehow I can relate to your disability, take care and get well soon.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

1621711226076.png