• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling Machine DRO

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now that I have my RF 30 mill home, I'm considering adding a DRO as the first accessory. I've seen that Amazon and eBay have some at fairly reasonable prices.

Does anyone have experience with these units? Is there a brand/style you would recommend?

I'm also wondering about length of the sensor for the X axis. Some of the cheaper kits just come with a 5 inch sensor. I'm thinking more like 18 to 24 inches? Maybe 5 for the Y axis?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I've got the same AliExpress DRO on my RF30 as David, but I sure didn't pay that much for it. It was $307 CAD shipped. I like it a lot. You specify scale lengths when you order.

What's with AliExpress shipping rates these days?

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I also have the same dro ( bought based on other forum members recommendations) I believe mine was about $320 to my door.
Yes Aliexpress shipping rates are mostly unreasonable and out of this world.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks David! Ali was looking for around $100 for shipping. Think they are using it to pad the price.

What length of scales did you use? (If you remember)

Thanks!

Tom

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks David! Ali was looking for around $100 for shipping. Think they are using it to pad the price.

What length of scales did you use? (If you remember)

Thanks!

Tom
Good gawd that shipping is expensive!
I don't recall the length to be honest but they were too long when they arrived. I cut them to length with my horizontal bandsaw. Easy-peasy.
Somewhere here is my install...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The glass in the scales can break. When I cut mine I was careful to place the scale so the glass was horizontal and I held the saw up so it scored the glass. Once scored it cut as though it were cheese.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That sounds scary to me I think I’d try a diamond tool like a dremel or similar
It was really simple. Even if you use a dremel the glass has to be trimmed back from the end so the end cap can go on and there's no room to fit a dremel inside the scale extrusion. I just nibbled away with a set of needle nose pliers till the cap fit on.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I was just on Ali and they want $300 plus $151 shipping for the DRO in the link from David_R8.
Is the LCD worth that much in shipping?

Hacker

Super User
Regarding the shipping on AliExpress this is usually for delivery within a few weeks. I have ordered Sandvik inserts from a dealer in China and I received them in two weeks. Small items are very reasonable shipping with AliExpress, it is the larger or heavier ones that are expensive. I usually contact the vendor and see if they are willing to do alternate shipping or adjust the rates. Some do others do not. I believe what has happen is that China Post has been overloaded and delivery times have turned into months. I waited over 10 weeks for an item coming through China Post.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's quite the range of shipping costs! Shipping must be set (like eBay) by the various suppliers of the parts.

So free or $151. Your choice I guess.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
AliExpress shipping is all over the map right now. Just ordered 4 HD Leveling Casters with free shipping and it appears they were shipped UPS Expedited with a claimed delivery of date of May 15 - May 17.

Ya, May 15 - May 17, I'll believe that when I see it LOL.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't think that you could use "UPS" and "free" in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence! :D