Milling Machine DRO

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
You should have seen the face I made when I read that @LenVW - it was very similar to a racoon seeing something shiny.
The system he is developing uses an inspection table that has multiple scanners that register the actual dimensions of components very extreme accuracy. With the scanned data points collected and a virtual 3D model developed in a data file, it can be compared to the original design to see where it does not match.
It will be another inspection tool that can produce 3D models for CNC work.
Simple when the application is explained. LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The system he is developing uses an inspection table that has multiple scanners that register the actual dimensions of components very extreme accuracy. With the scanned data points collected and a virtual 3D model developed in a data file, it can be compared to the original design to see where it does not match.
It will be another inspection tool that can produce 3D models for CNC work.
Simple when the application is explained. LOL

That technology has existed in many industries for quite a few years now. I had the extreme DISPLEASURE of being the first Guinea pig when they rolled that out in the dental industry to make crowns and implants. They use a high precision optical scanner to measure a portion (or all) of my teeth and gums, then convert that into a 3D model of my mouth and teeth, filled in the model mesh as needed with additional photos, then uploaded the model to a modeller who made a crown to fit perfectly within a micron. When I came back in, all they did was to glue it in and say goodbye. As amazing as that might sound, the auto and aerospace industry were doing that for years before it was approved for medical/dental use. It was especially useful for forensic analysis of competitive parts. We regularly bought a competitors vehicle, tore it apart, created 3D models using high precision data measurement systems and then tested the models using supercomputers to assess the design, it's performance, and cost and quality opportunities. You could test a part in the computer in a day for what was the equivalent of a lifetime of testing on the road. The challenge then and now was to create models and tests in the computer that reliably replicated what happened in the real world. To improve that fidelity, rapid destructive testing was done on real parts and the data was used to both improve the models and the test modelling. Not only that, but these parts models were also tested as entire assemblies and vehicles and the manufacturing processes and assembly plant systems were also developed simultaneously.

My point is not to poo poo your BBry friend Len. It is only to say that I think he is up to much much more that he is telling you because what he is telling you is at least 15 years old - but nonetheless still more or less unknown by the general public.....

In my mind, the greatest technology advancement in the auto industry of the last 30 years was not the little things that journalists write about, it was the digital design, modelling, and simulation of 3d models both dimensionally and physically (temp, stress/strain, impact, noise, economics, manufacturing, durability, and performance). I retired 15 years ago. I can only imagine what they are all doing now.......

LenVW

Premium Member
That technology has existed in many industries for quite a few years now. I had the extreme DISPLEASURE of being the first Guinea pig when they rolled that out in the dental industry to make crowns and implants. They use a high precision optical scanner to measure a portion (or all) of my teeth and gums, then convert that into a 3D model of my mouth and teeth, filled in the model mesh as needed with additional photos, then uploaded the model to a modeller who made a crown to fit perfectly within a micron. When I came back in, all they did was to glue it in and say goodbye. As amazing as that might sound, the auto and aerospace industry were doing that for years before it was approved for medical/dental use. It was especially useful for forensic analysis of competitive parts. We regularly bought a competitors vehicle, tore it apart, created 3D models using high precision data measurement systems and then tested the models using supercomputers to assess the design, it's performance, and cost and quality opportunities. You could test a part in the computer in a day for what was the equivalent of a lifetime of testing on the road. The challenge then and now was to create models and tests in the computer that reliably replicated what happened in the real world. To improve that fidelity, rapid destructive testing was done on real parts and the data was used to both improve the models and the test modelling. Not only that, but these parts models were also tested as entire assemblies and vehicles and the manufacturing processes and assembly plant systems were also developed simultaneously.

My point is not to poo poo your BBry friend Len. It is only to say that I think he is up to much much more that he is telling you because what he is telling you is at least 15 years old - but nonetheless still more or less unknown by the general public.....

In my mind, the greatest technology advancement in the auto industry of the last 30 years was not the little things that journalists write about, it was the digital design, modelling, and simulation of 3d models both dimensionally and physically (temp, stress/strain, impact, noise, economics, manufacturing, durability, and performance). I retired 15 years ago. I can only imagine what they are all doing now.......
I agree with you.
My friend from BBry is developing a totally proprietary system for APQP.
NDAs are the norm with this type of work involving in-house resources and outside contractors.
When I was a contact with Gowlings we were securing NDAs on a weekly basis with suppliers and design firms.

After my machining days, I returned to college and one offer for my first co-op position was with Decoma International in North York, I went in another direction and industry.
Kellogg’s Engineering on Dundas Street in London offered me a better position working on their Project 2000 development. I spent three co-op terms as well as a year after graduation working on food processing equipment that were the standard for all of Kellogg’s North American plants.

The automotive industry is a tough one.
I was working with an automation firm five years ago that supplied systems to Tier 2 companies and they drove my boss out of business because they refused to pay based on every technicality their lawyers could find in contract clauses.

I liked the food, fabricating and processing industries much easier to work in.

As to DRO on the mill I use flood cooling when I'm pushing my cuts and most of the cheaper stuff doesn't like moisture (lots of it) so I've done without. Now that I'm adding CNC (for a little more than a good water proof DRO) and the servos have encoders well.......DRO's are built in and way easier to install.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome news. Now would be a good time to order the taps/drills/hardware needed if you don't have them already. My last to DRO installs were all m4, m5.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome news. Now would be a good time to order the taps/drills/hardware needed if you don't have them already. My last to DRO installs were all m4, m5.

I do have some taps but don't know what hardware I will need. I am sure it comes with a good well written instruction manual.....;)

Thanks. I might be chatting with you more or getting over to see your installs before then. Tanks are full and shop is warm?

:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do have some taps but don't know what hardware I will need. I am sure it comes with a good well written instruction manual.....;)

Thanks. I might be chatting with you more or getting over to see your installs before then. Tanks are full and shop is warm?

Damn...... You guys are too far away or if be there too!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Yes sir. Come by anytime

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, my faith in AliExpress has improved! Just when I was wondering what to do next.....:rolleyes:

Ordered Jan 15 and just arrived! Pretty good I would say. Once it warms up, I will power it up and see if it all works. Looks good so far!

Attachments

• DRO kit.jpg
    DRO kit.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 12

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If anyone needs some scales I got some cheap and can sell you 3 for 80CAD. They are 650mm measuring length - you can shorten them but cannot make them longer. Standard resolution 5 micron. Chinese standard, works with any Chinese DRO.

LenVW

Premium Member
Shawn,
I am interested to know if your Offshore DRO came together easily.
Do you have a background with precision metrology ?