• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for a Lathe Face Plate and a Lathe Dog Drive Plate

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmm…. this might be an option alright. Probably less expensive then investing in a internal threading tool, not that I wouldn't mind giving that a try.
I have a local fellow who makes weights from steel plates, any diameter, any thickness. So with the adapter and plate it would be under $50.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wonder if there is enough flange OD to register it properly on the spindle nose? That wall looks awfully thin after you cut out the first ~ 400 thou worth of threads to achieve the second reference surface.

EAA81AE9-E6E4-4D7D-B86D-7656FF237D4D.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If you really get desperate enough this is the one I got for my Boxford(SB clone) seems decent enough and the Whitworth 55 degree threads will fit the American 60 degree but not vice versa....FML!:rolleyes:

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/9-diameter-faceplate-for-boxford-lathes-1-1-2-x-8-tpi/

Hmmmmm… $70 CDN and 9". You're sure the threads are compatible. I'm running a Standard Modern Utilathe. South Bend stuff appears to be compatible.

Update...… never mind they want $125 CDN for shippingo_O

Last edited:

Crankit

Hmmmmm… $70 CDN and 9". You're sure the threads are compatible. I'm running a Standard Modern Utilathe. South Bend stuff appears to be compatible.

Update...… never mind they want $125 CDN for shippingo_O

lol....feeling my pain! Welcome to the world of having English made machinery. I bought all my misc spindle mounts at the same time to save on shipping charges.

The Boxfords are actually 9 1/4" so the 9" faceplates do fit on them

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I haven’t been able to find it on BB either, search for B2618 and some other sized ones show up.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Crankit : "Feel my pain"

I do, I do. Try having an 8 TPI headstock with a 62mm OD thread. Yes Metric AND Imperial.

You just make your own accessories. It's a great skill building exercise!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have a chuck in some odd screw on thread - maybe it will fit someone lathe. I did not do anything with it for like 2 years now.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just found a NOS backing plate in my stash. Could be made into a face plate. I have no use for it. Will post in the classified section shortly.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta can you measure the threads and post in case someone matches?

It is a chuck that has a thread on it and is 4.5 inches wide. It is L0 as far as I can tell - see https://www.smalltools.com/lathe-spindle-nose-identification-chart/

Project was to modify the chuck so it works with D1-6 secondary back plate. If no one needs it I probably just take out the threads and create some surface to which my secondary back plate with D1-6 can index to. I.e. I make the chuck into a "flat back type".

Brent H

Ultra Member
Just in the 3 jaw right now getting things close - roughing out the hub part and thinning down . Lathe is 13" with 8" chuck - flipped the jaws - plate OD is just over 9" - a bit out of round.

Will make 1-1/2" - 8 tpi mandrel, have that on hand and ready, then bore out the plates, thread on the mandrel in the 4 jaw and clean things up a bit leaving a few thou for fitment ;)