Looking for a Lathe Face Plate and a Lathe Dog Drive Plate

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmm…. this might be an option alright. Probably less expensive then investing in a internal threading tool, not that I wouldn't mind giving that a try.
I have a local fellow who makes weights from steel plates, any diameter, any thickness. So with the adapter and plate it would be under $50.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wonder if there is enough flange OD to register it properly on the spindle nose? That wall looks awfully thin after you cut out the first ~ 400 thou worth of threads to achieve the second reference surface.

EAA81AE9-E6E4-4D7D-B86D-7656FF237D4D.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If you really get desperate enough this is the one I got for my Boxford(SB clone) seems decent enough and the Whitworth 55 degree threads will fit the American 60 degree but not vice versa....FML!:rolleyes:

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/9-diameter-faceplate-for-boxford-lathes-1-1-2-x-8-tpi/

Hmmmmm… $70 CDN and 9". You're sure the threads are compatible. I'm running a Standard Modern Utilathe. South Bend stuff appears to be compatible.

Update...… never mind they want $125 CDN for shippingo_O

Last edited:

Crankit

Hmmmmm… $70 CDN and 9". You're sure the threads are compatible. I'm running a Standard Modern Utilathe. South Bend stuff appears to be compatible.

Update...… never mind they want $125 CDN for shippingo_O

lol....feeling my pain! Welcome to the world of having English made machinery. I bought all my misc spindle mounts at the same time to save on shipping charges.

The Boxfords are actually 9 1/4" so the 9" faceplates do fit on them

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I haven’t been able to find it on BB either, search for B2618 and some other sized ones show up.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Crankit : "Feel my pain"

I do, I do. Try having an 8 TPI headstock with a 62mm OD thread. Yes Metric AND Imperial.

You just make your own accessories. It's a great skill building exercise!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have a chuck in some odd screw on thread - maybe it will fit someone lathe. I did not do anything with it for like 2 years now.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just found a NOS backing plate in my stash. Could be made into a face plate. I have no use for it. Will post in the classified section shortly.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta can you measure the threads and post in case someone matches?

It is a chuck that has a thread on it and is 4.5 inches wide. It is L0 as far as I can tell - see https://www.smalltools.com/lathe-spindle-nose-identification-chart/

Project was to modify the chuck so it works with D1-6 secondary back plate. If no one needs it I probably just take out the threads and create some surface to which my secondary back plate with D1-6 can index to. I.e. I make the chuck into a "flat back type".

Brent H

Ultra Member
Just in the 3 jaw right now getting things close - roughing out the hub part and thinning down . Lathe is 13" with 8" chuck - flipped the jaws - plate OD is just over 9" - a bit out of round.

Will make 1-1/2" - 8 tpi mandrel, have that on hand and ready, then bore out the plates, thread on the mandrel in the 4 jaw and clean things up a bit leaving a few thou for fitment ;)