• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a Lathe Face Plate and a Lathe Dog Drive Plate

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
They were there but could never get them to lock the table. Both were turned in hard. Not sure they are meant to be locks?

They look like locks to me.
Mine are outboard and clamp down in a groove around the perimeter of the top. Very solid.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I haven't known many RT's so I cant say. Some people say to leave the clamps on with very light pressure when doing heavy or interrupted or climb rotational cutting to try & avoid kick back from the end mill with a loose-ish table. But I don't know if that means a worn RT or just general machining. I can't image that partial clamping action would be a 'feature'. Hopefully they are worn & no longer gripping or out of adjustment & you can get a lock out of the deal. But do some YouTubing on RT disassembly & ideally parts schematic for your RT model. Some of them have a specific sequence of dismantling, some surprise set screws holding collars, press fit here, slip fit there....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is what I think is happening:

As your contact pad wears on the brake shoe, the angle of the shoe needs to change to compensate. If the brake adjust screw hole is too tight, it can’t pivot to allow the change in angle. So no matter how much you tighten the screw, the pad will not move in to make contact with the rotating table flange.

The adjusting screw actually needs a bigger through hole through the base and a hemispherical washer on the outside to allow the shoe enough movement to make contact and act as a brake.

Here is what I think your brake system looks like (base on the photos you show). I have never actually seen a RT like yours in person, so guessing...

2DC926FC-8114-4FD2-B4C8-A264AEEA61A0.jpeg

Yes, there are times when I “drag” the brake on the RT while milling. It must be done with fine feel as a little goes a long way (my BP RT has a very powerful brake/lock).

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

As your contact pad wears on the brake shoe, the angle of the shoe needs to change to compensate. If the brake adjust screw hole is too tight, it can’t pivot to allow the change in angle. So no matter how much you tighten the screw, the pad will not move in to make contact with the rotating table flange.

The adjusting screw actually needs a bigger through hole through the base and a hemispherical washer on the outside to allow the shoe enough movement to make contact and act as a brake.

Here is what I think your brake system looks like (base on the photos you show). I have never actually seen a RT like yours in person, so guessing...

View attachment 12645

Yes, there are times when I “drag” the brake on the RT while milling. It must be done with fine feel as a little goes a long way (my BP RT has a very powerful brake/lock).

That's what it looks like alright. There are two of them. Both were screwed down as hard as I could make them without resorting to a vise grip on the screw driver. Still you could rotate using the crank with out much effort but never lock per say.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The other thing that could be a factor is wear on the surface of the brake shoe
If the screws were tight'ish at some point and the table was rotated, metal would have wore off the face of the brake shoe. Rinse and repeat and there's the potential as @RobinHood points out that there isn't enough play left for the brake shoe to make adewuate contact with the table to stop rotation.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Pheeew…. 832 end mill passes and 32 drilling operations later...….

FFront.JPG

Oh ya.... and 4 trips around the world on the RT. The front needs some deburring.

FBack.JPG

And the back side. Recessed for 3/8" hex head bolts and nuts. Only two s...w ups. One of the back slots is over size a smidge. Ends up my ER20 13mm collet is toast from my taper attachment shoe crash and exhibits excessive runout. The other was when my RT decided to go walk about but that's just a minor cosmetic detail.

RT.JPG

And as a bonus I never once drilled into or milled the table of my RT:p That's mind boggling unto itself.

@David_R8 the pressure is on now..... I'm looking forward to your slotting exploits.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks great Craig!
I need to order a T-slot cutter. I have a few things in my KBC basket (46H grinder wheel, coolant, and some CCMT inserts) so I'll figure out which cutter I need and get to it!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
On another board someone asked me what project I was going to use the faceplate for and I honestly didn't have an answer...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Brent H Did you ever generate a drawing for a follower rest? That's the last thing on my lathe bucket list and then she's complete.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
I have them at work and will need to scale things to be sure they fit your lathe. Bug me in a couple weeks to remind me to get them (back at work then) Great job on the face plate!!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My T-nuts measure .8565 across the wide part and .485 across the narrow bit.
I'll need to either do the slots with a 3/8" endmill or a 1/2" which would be fewer passes.
A T-slot cutter to fit my T-nuts is $250!!!

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My T-nuts measure .8565 across the wide part and .485 across the narrow bit. I'll need to either do the slots with a 3/8" endmill or a 1/2" which would be fewer passes.

My 0.005 DOC was me being paranoid about disturbing the setup. I'm not following the 3/8 vs 1/2 thing here? That's quite the discrepancy?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
With a 3/8" end mill I could make a one pass at whatever DoC and then move the table 1/4" and return down the other side of the slot.
I'm going to re-think the T-slot size as $250 is too rich for my blood.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

View attachment 12645

This is one of the brake shoes (clamps?)....

CLAMP1.JPG

CLAMP2.JPG

Some one has greased the slot the shoe fits into on the rotating table?

SCREW.JPG

The screw is a very loose fit in the through hole and a fine thread. The fact that it's knurled would suggest it's not meant to be cranked down hard?

Not sure what could be done to improve it?

Last edited: