Brent H

Ultra Member
2 plates completed to the “now it is up to you” stages:

6816DF40-0DAA-4EBB-92E8-757642DD4198.jpeg
3D0D9A25-5FD6-459D-8DC8-1D0A253175AE.jpeg
5840C2A3-6C80-4A15-84FF-38CADF8D59FE.jpeg
B53707F1-4A69-4E43-965F-D11E4DA93CBB.jpeg
5A29FD15-787F-46DC-B510-11ADAF54077C.jpeg
Hopefully in the post soon as I get off this crazy ship!

both have lots of steel - @YYCHobbyMachinist the face plate part is about .550” needs to be fixed up with your lathe. I was doing some on the mandrill I made but there were some inconsistencies and we are steaming so lots of vibrations making it hard to dial things in. @David_R8 the plate part is just over 0.750 so lots of meat for slots. I hope the threads work out as not having the spindle or any standard made it tricky.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow, @Brent H, those look really fantastic!
My postie is not going to be a happy camper delivering that!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Brent H look what CP delivered to my mailbox today:):):):)

Front.JPG

Beauty...…. She just spun right on:)

Back.JPG

What finishing on the backside were you talking about? I don't think there is room to mount it in reverse. It will contact the headstock casting.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow! That looks really good. :)
Mine is sitting in Richmond.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Wow! That looks really good. :)
Mine is sitting in Richmond.

You will probably see yours tomorrow. CP's tracking isn't all that accurate these days. Mine was actually in Calgary on the 1st, why they sat on it for 4 days is beyond me.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Actually it can be reversed...….

Reversed.JPG

It bottoms out on the threads before it contacts the casting. Would need to make a bushing extend the spindle registration surface.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You will probably see yours tomorrow. CP's tracking isn't all that accurate these days. Mine was actually in Calgary on the 1st, why they sat on it for 4 days is beyond me.

Tell me about it!
I had a package sent from Ontario on Dec 1. Expedited.
No updates until it arrived in Victoria on Jan 3 as I was contacting the sender to start a claim.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have a package from Banggood that CP seems to have lost in Vancouver. Was supposed to be delivered on the 14th, then the 18th, then "item delayed - stay tuned for updates" ever since. That is from CP website. Banggood site shows that it made it to Vancouver. CP website won't say anything anymore other than above. I got the other package of drill bits yesterday. All good on those.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist - awesome!!! Make a spacer and clean up the back side - you will see it is tougher than the face as we got into some seas and I couldn’t stop the vibration. You should have about 0.050” to play with (front to back) - maybe take a skim of the back with a spacer to keep concentric.
Glad it fits! And Merry Christmas!!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Oh, and the numbers on the back correspond to the lathe chuck jaws to make sure I kept it the same. I think @David_R8 ‘s will have 1,2,3 - I figured out the 3 was not needed after the first one - LOL.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hruul>Banggood site shows that it made it to Vancouver. CP website won't say anything anymore other than above.
I've had the same experience - Ali updates through the various CDN gatekeepers. Pretty sad when foreign country does a better job tracking inside your own country. Or lately even with in-province CP expedited ship, I click on the tracking number & it says information not available for delivery date that passed 2 days ago. Uhm, why did I spend 12$ shipping a box of air if we have to read tea leaves?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Truing up my faceplate today.....

Truing.JPG

This is the only way I could figure out for reaching the outer edge. I'm running in reverse at 50 rpm and it's not leaving a very nice finish:( Back face is done, one more pass on the front face and she's off to the mill for slotting.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Truing up my faceplate today.....

View attachment 12552

This is the only way I could figure out for reaching the outer edge. I'm running in reverse at 50 rpm and it's not leaving a very nice finish:( Back face is done, one more pass on the front face and she's off to the mill for slotting.
Once it's on the mill in your rotary table, you could always run an endmill around the outside.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Added some witness rings to the front face...….

Witness.JPG

And mounted her on the RT....

OnRT.JPG

Do you think that's going to hold? The plate is 1/2" thick. I need to mill eight 3/8" through slots with a 9/16" X 1/4" deep ledge slot on top.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

View attachment 12574

View attachment 12575

Do you think that's going to hold? The plate is 1/2" thick. I need to mill eight 3/8" through slots with a 9/16" X 1/4" deep ledge slot on top.

Hi Craig, not that I've done a lot of milling on my rotary table however I'm somewhat skeptical with your set up. Looking at the photo I suggest using 1/2" spacers with holes in center to fit over the bolts and a moon shaped section cut out so it snugs up to the outer edge of your 1/2" thick plate. Rational downward pressure on the plate might not be sufficient where downward and side pressure combined should keep you out of a lot of trouble. You know your mill, rotary table and the way it will handle under pressure far better than I. What ever you do be very careful as I know you will.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

View attachment 12574

View attachment 12575

I'm far from an expert so take this with a grain of salt but it looks a bit sketchy. I would take light cuts no matter what.
I'm planning to use Teco clamps to hold the plate face directly to the mill table. I will support the edges with rounds milled to the height of the spigot.
I don't know how many T-slots I'm going to mill but four at a minimum.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Since you are doing 8 slots, I would first drill trough holes in 4 quadrants while the plate is clamped directly to your mill table. Then use those holes to hold the face plate to the RT. Then mill the “in between slots”. Once done, unbolt it and use four of the just milled slots for your hold down bolts and mill the remaining four slots.

Your set up may not hold and the FP might shift on your RT while milling.

If you calculate the set up properly, you can even drill all you start and end points of all slots using your bolt circle function on the DRO. Makes for easier milling.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm far from an expert so take this with a grain of salt but it looks a bit sketchy. I would take light cuts no matter what.
I'm planning to use Teco clamps to hold the plate face directly to the mill table. I will support the edges with rounds milled to the height of the spigot.
I don't know how many T-slots I'm going to mill but four at a minimum.

I can't picture how that's going to work????? How are you going to achieve radial slots without re-positioning the plate for each slot?