• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

JCDammeyer's 42 projects

Forgive me for this question, but why not just buy a chunk of 3” XXH pipe? 3.5” nominal O.D., 2.3” nominal I.D., only made in seamless material so no weld bead.
No idea where to get that. I need about 3".

Its assembled like this. The bearings go onto the spindle. I do have material to make that.
1726102597462.png
Then the spindle goes into the piece that I was planning on casting.
1726102629029.png
The other side I have material for too but this next piece will likely be another casting.
1726102717805.png

What material? Steel, stainless, aluminum?
6061 I think is more than adequate for this robot arm.

I'm really tempted to print the core box and core. I have one other project ready to cast that has T-Slots as sand cores. I use fine silica sand along with flour and molasses water to make the cores. It's baked in a table top oven until it's hard enough to not fall apart. Same technique used for the tailstock hole in the Gingery Lathe project.

The core approach requires the least amount of post machining but the most work to get there. The pipe blank (with the 3 degree taper for ease of pulling it out of the green sand) just requires making more chips.

The big advantage to casting is if I screw up the machining I'm not out any money other than maybe $1 worth of Natural Gas for the foundry and WD-40 for machining lubricant.

I'll be looking for advice on machining this too. The bearing races should just be a friction fit and line up the bearings for the spindle. But there's that should in between.

Lose one recently?
April. She was almost 14. Lymphoma. Survived to her 8th birthday and beyond without a spleen that had burst. The house is very empty but eventually after a year we will get another. For now we are headed out to the UK mid October. Already getting suggestions from the LinuxCNC group of places to see other than wool and knitting shops...

Back