JCDammeyer's 42 projects

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've been rather quiet for the last week or so. Other than doing what is required for work-work a tragic event in our life has us rethinking what to do.
This photo was done a few years ago. Our adopted Stabyhoun dog (Dixie) wearing Misha's hat took her last breath at 14 years, 2 months old, a year after this photo during COVID. Misha took his last breath last Friday 29DEC2023 and would have been 36 this coming April.
Misha_and_Dixie.jpg

An accomplished musician, Misha and I were in the middle of repairing a broken Gibson guitar. He said his friends were so excited and looking forward to seeing the results. I had also helped him fix an 8 string bass guitar the week before. He was so happy that it worked again. Way too short wood screws had pulled out of the pine base.

Now Misha is one of the 2023 Fentanyl statistics. Troubled from a breakup with his fiance at the start of December he headed down the alcohol path again and last Friday someone slipped him something more dangerous. Likely he didn't know or perhaps didn't care.

This thread is going to be about the 42 unfinished projects in my shop and a tribute to my younger son who brought so much joy (and now sadness) into our lives.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Sorry for your loss too many people are being lost due to Fentanyl the traffickers should be charged with murder!
Dec was a bad month we flew out to Vic after being told we would lose Mom, she’s ok but we lost her sister then our Cousin had a massive heart attack. I‘m glad that year is over!

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My heart breaks to hear your son’s story. Far too many of us have been robbed of family and friends by this evil.

It’s time we pushed for safe supply and wrestled the distribution away from the monsters profiting from prohibition.

You can get Neloxon (sorry for the spelling) kits to counter act over doses. We got three sets at the cottage life show Nov 2023. Go to a show and carry one with you in the car.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
You can get Neloxon (sorry for the spelling) kits to counter act over doses. We got three sets at the cottage life show Nov 2023. Go to a show and carry one with you in the car.
Thanks. I have a Pharmacist wife. He had a brand new kit in his bag. He'd been Narcanned twice that evening. Even so fatal quantity in his blood. As the coroner told me today is that even in the hospital with all the gear they still lose patients to this.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Anyway. On with project #42.
I first started drilling holes in these panels way back in 2010. Each time I do a bunch I have to reset up the JGRO Style CNC router to set the holder position. It's a pain.
DrillingFaceplates.jpg
The following photo is a birds eye view (likely not a bird but a batty bat) of the setup. The red line points to a hole (depression really) made with a 1/4" router bit. I then chuck up a piece of 1/4" rod and bring the router down until it's in the hole. The holder isn't clamped yet. Next I use a square to align the side of the holder to the router frame. It pivots around that 1/4" rod. That sets the template square to the axis motion and theoretically then the 18 0.125" holes will be in the right spot.

PlateInserted.jpg

MACH3 CNC is set to have that as home for XY. The 1/8" router bit is inserted and the tip moved over so it's just clear of the MDF holder and the Z axis zero is set.

ReadyToDrill.jpg

I run the program and the holes are drilled and the router is automatically moved out of the way to allow the toggle clamp to lift out of the way. I test the panel in the hardware and invariable I'll have to start tweaking by up to 0.015" to get the hole array perfect.

So here's the question. Is there an better way to align something like this? I suppose I could create an aluminum holder that is clamped in the vise on the mill. Use the probe facilities on the mill to line up two adjacent edges to determine XY = 0. The space underneath each hole can be larger than 0.125" to allow the swarf to fall away. But the mill does only 3000 RPM where I'm running the Bosch Colt at full speed.

The milled holes are a close fit on the light pipes.
xMU_Rendering.jpg

Suggestions? More photos needed?

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh my gosh John, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Please accept my most sincere condolences. You and Linda are in my thoughts.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My Sincere condolences John, not sure there are any words that could help. :(.

I've lost a cousin to fentanyl, Unsuccessfully performed CPR on a good friend from an oxy/alc od, and know 2 other young guys that have died because of Fentanyl contaminated weed. Really concerns me as a parent of young kids growing up in a world so different than the one I did.

We have a naloxone kit here (free from shoppers), but as you said, they are sadly not always a guarantee :(. Still, everyone should have one around the house regardless. Right next to a fire extinguisher. When you need one, you need one.

Reach out if you ever need to chat. Stay busy, keep moving forward, and I hope you get to finish that Gibson.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss for words....... I'm so sorry to hear of this, it's a story that gets repeated far too frequently. Keeping your mind and hands busy at this time is good, just take your time, as your going to be a little bit distracted. Keep an eye on your wife, she's going to need you at the most inconvenient times, and most importantly, remember that we are here for you even if you can't see us.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am so very sorry John. I am lost for words. I only wish I could somehow take some of your pain for you.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyway. On with project #42.
WOW. I truly hope that project #42 can give you a tiny bit of relief. It must be so very hard to work through your pain. My deepest sympathy to you, your wife, and family.

Craig

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Truly sorry for your loss.

My wife works in a hospital and was having lunch with a forensic pathologist he told her the Fentanyl epidemic is out of control, the pushers are putting it in everything, so lots of unsuspecting people become victims every day.