• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Here goes nothing...YouTube Channel

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@TorontoBuilder is your stone carving equipment 'powered' or all hand tools? Either way, I'd like to see what tooling is involved.
I was watching some (woodworking) vids with powered chisels, some look like a Foredom rotary-to-stroke action. Others may have been dedicated carvers, not sure.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Tool Test Tuesday again...Aircat 1/4" Air Ratchet on the table:

Is a decent little thing, especially like how quiet it is but it's not that gutsy. Also, not often I'm grabbing an air ratchet anymore, so that hurt its score a bit too in the usefulness category.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tool Test Tuesday again...Aircat 1/4" Air Ratchet on the table:

Is a decent little thing, especially like how quiet it is but it's not that gutsy. Also, not often I'm grabbing an air ratchet anymore, so that hurt its score a bit too in the usefulness category.

I have one I prolly bought 30 years ago. I have NEVER used it except for the day I brought it home. I should put it on Kijiji and dump it.

I have a small Milwaukee 12V ratchet that I use once in a blue moon. But even that seldom gets used and should prolly be sold too.

I'd rather use a gun and/or a manual ratchet wrench.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I have one I prolly bought 30 years ago. I have NEVER used it except for the day I brought it home. I should put it on Kijiji and dump it.

I have a small Milwaukee 12V ratchet that I use once in a blue moon. But even that seldom gets used and should prolly be sold too.

I'd rather use a gun and/or a manual ratchet wrench.

Yup, that's the thing with air ratchets...they aren't all that useful anymore with cordless impacts. Like I mention in the video, I use it mostly when I need to run down a bunch of nyloc nuts where an impact will impact the entire time (annoying) and a manual ratchet is laborious. Basically works well when it's something you can't spin down with your fingers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup, that's the thing with air ratchets...they aren't all that useful anymore with cordless impacts. Like I mention in the video, I use it mostly when I need to run down a bunch of nyloc nuts where an impact will impact the entire time (annoying) and a manual ratchet is laborious. Basically works well when it's something you can't spin down with your fingers.
None of my 12V drivers ratchet if set to the non-ratchet setting. Even at lower torque settings they don't make a sound till the setting is reached. Perfect for your nyloc nuts and infinitely better than that dumb air ratchet and better than the 12V ratchet too.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
None of my 12V drivers ratchet if set to the non-ratchet setting. Even at lower torque settings they don't make a sound till the setting is reached. Perfect for your nyloc nuts and infinitely better than that dumb air ratchet and better than the 12V ratchet too.

Yeah, I suppose I could use a socket adapter in a non-impacting driver.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, but I've also seen them break that way. It's not a practice I would recommend. A socket wrench or a Johnson bar with the right length handle is much preferred.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Yes, but I've also seen them break that way. It's not a practice I would recommend. A socket wrench or a Johnson bar with the right length handle is much preferred.

Sometimes you have no choice if you need to get to a really deep bolt on a thread or there's an allen head in the middle.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sometimes you have no choice if you need to get to a really deep bolt on a thread or there's an allen head in the middle.

I guess in all my years I've never seen that situation. But I'll never say never. Sometimes the weirdest situations happen and you gotta do what you gotta do.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I guess in all my years I've never seen that situation. But I'll never say never. Sometimes the weirdest situations happen and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rear sway bar endlinks on a Mazda 3 was the first time I encountered a situation where I needed this. You have to hold the bolt from turning with an allen wrench in the end of it since it's a ball joint without any wrench flats on the other side and the nut would just not budge. Looks like this (not my pic):

REAR LINKS.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Rear sway bar endlinks on a Mazda 3 was the first time I encountered a situation where I needed this. You have to hold the bolt from turning with an allen wrench in the end of it since it's a ball joint without any wrench flats on the other side and the nut would just not budge. Looks like this (not my pic):

View attachment 21370

I see. Yes, I have seen that before. As well as studs that take other kinds of wrenches.

But I wasn't saying that you could always use a socket. I was just saying I have never seen a situation where you needed to latch two wrenches together. In this particular situation, if you can hold the stud with an allen wrench, you can certainly turn the nut with just one wrench.

But now you have me trying to think of an example too.....

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I see. Yes, I have seen that before. As well as studs that take other kinds of wrenches.

But I wasn't saying that you could always use a socket. I was just saying I have never seen a situation where you needed to latch two wrenches together. In this particular situation, if you can hold the stud with an allen wrench, you can certainly turn the nut with just one wrench.

But now you have me trying to think of an example too.....

Same as strut mounts in the front...you'd be surprised how much torque it takes to move sometimes. Often that first crank will just spin the ball joint without the nut moving too.

In any case, it's not something I've had to use too often but does come up now and then.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
It's Tool Test Tuesday again. A number of years ago I picked up a pile of the Gearwrench 84t ratchets in pretty much all their configurations with comfort grip (I just don't have the offset one). They've been my go to since then, especially the 3/8" flex head long handle, easily my fave.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have one of those and love them too.

Even though I hate YouTube, I actually watched this time.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR THUMB?

I feel your pain. I was trying to hook up a red impliment to my green tractor a few years ago. Tractor objected and bit me! What a mess that was! They had to pull my nail off.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I have one of those and love them too.

Even though I hate YouTube, I actually watched this time.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR THUMB?

I feel your pain. I was trying to hook up a red impliment to my green tractor a few years ago. Tractor objected and bit me! What a mess that was! They had to pull my nail off.

Thanks, not my best video but I have some ideas to make tool test tuesday a bit better going forward.

LoL about the thumb, so I went in for lunch and was cutting a rather tough baguette and the knife caught the tip of my thumb...that took a couple weeks to heal up fully.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks, not my best video but I have some ideas to make tool test tuesday a bit better going forward.

LoL about the thumb, so I went in for lunch and was cutting a rather tough baguette and the knife caught the tip of my thumb...that took a couple weeks to heal up fully.

Well, that's better than me. My finger took months. It is still not right. May never be right. But at least I still have it.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How well do they stand up to having a length of pipe slid over the handle for a little more ummmph?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How well do they stand up to having a length of pipe slid over the handle for a little more ummmph?

Mine doesn't like it. The handle is an odd shape and the pipe doesn't fit well. Besides that, the funny angles that are the primary raison d'etre for the wrench would prolly make a pipe impractical.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Why? I've never had the need, pretty rare the 1/2" long handle isn't enough but I'm moving up to impacts/breaker bars if I need more. I can still put my full weight on the 3/8" drive ones without an issue.