• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Here goes nothing...YouTube Channel

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Here goes nothing...have started a channel "SomeGuy's Garage", here's a link to the channel:

(feel free to sub or not to sub, just sharing what I'm working on)

Basically going to start posting short videos of whatever I'm working on in the garage or new tools or other interesting garage related content. Likely a lot of it will be fabrication/machining/tinkering/building content so maybe things you guys will find interesting too.

Just to get started tonight, try things out, I did a "shorts" on a Siglent power supply that got delivered today:

One of my first projects with the lathe I just bought is to build an RC wheeled tank. I am starting with the electronics so I know roughly the chassis size I'll need and with all the little controllers and circuits and such, decided a bench power supply would be very handy for testing all of this stuff.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Everett

Super User
Very cool! I'm in! The tank build will be cool to see, what sort of size vehicle you thinking so far? Going full on battle bot or something to run up and down the street to terrorize neighborhood cats, lol?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hope to see the prototype progress thru the design-build stages.
Maybe I will trip over your ‘toy’ soon when we are hiking thru the Huron Natural Area.

If you need some milling or drilling let me know and I will see what I can do.
M.519-320-0384

This is my basement ‘Lab’.

Attachments

• 9D2F97FB-E0AA-44DF-9CC2-03BDD70DCDDB.jpeg
    9D2F97FB-E0AA-44DF-9CC2-03BDD70DCDDB.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 1D9F6CA9-E18A-4CF3-92D9-0B9DDDF7E114.jpeg
    1D9F6CA9-E18A-4CF3-92D9-0B9DDDF7E114.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 28

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Very cool! I'm in! The tank build will be cool to see, what sort of size vehicle you thinking so far? Going full on battle bot or something to run up and down the street to terrorize neighborhood cats, lol?

Hey, thanks for the sub, I sub'd your channel too.

As for size, just something to run up and down the street. I've got a pair of 250w brushed motors and will use dewalt 20v batteries for power...so it will be a fair sized chassis to fit that stuff, but won't be a huge battle bot either. I'm hoping I can make it fairly fast though, 30-40km/h would be awesome. The most RC experience I have is with $100 radio shack ones when I was a kid, so this is something entirely new to me.

I'm going to try to do an electronics video this weekend if all goes well (get it laid out, wire it up on a board, test it out, etc.)

Hope to see the prototype progress thru the design-build stages.
Maybe I will trip over your ‘toy’ soon when we are hiking thru the Huron Natural Area.

If you need some milling or drilling let me know and I will see what I can do.
M.519-320-0384

This is my basement ‘Lab’.

Thanks!

deleted_user

Super User
Hey, thanks for the sub, I sub'd your channel too.

As for size, just something to run up and down the street. I've got a pair of 250w brushed motors and will use dewalt 20v batteries for power...so it will be a fair sized chassis to fit that stuff, but won't be a huge battle bot either. I'm hoping I can make it fairly fast though, 30-40km/h would be awesome. The most RC experience I have is with $100 radio shack ones when I was a kid, so this is something entirely new to me.

I'm going to try to do an electronics video this weekend if all goes well (get it laid out, wire it up on a board, test it out, etc.)

Thanks!

I like all things RC. well not all things but good things.

You know that if you want to do things right you'd make your own motor eh? :cool:

deleted_user

Super User
If you have some time to kill and listen to boring me, here is mine - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTHu9H4FPvI8hb28ry7TDsg

I have to finally create 3 new videos - have them on my phone.

Okay, I will subscribe to everyone's youtube channel. I do have one request. I am hearing impaired, and I can't take trying to discern audio with cheap embedded mics in rooms with echos and reverberation. Invest in wireless mic or a separate wired mic on a boom

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Okay, I will subscribe to everyone's youtube channel. I do have one request. I am hearing impaired, and I can't take trying to discern audio with cheap embedded mics in rooms with echos and reverberation. Invest in wireless mic or a separate wired mic on a boom

My first vid was no voice...though that'll happen. I have some Shure wireless stuff here, will have to see if I can rig up some recording to my cameras.

deleted_user

Super User
My first vid was no voice...though that'll happen. I have some Shure wireless stuff here, will have to see if I can rig up some recording to my cameras.

alternatively people could hire voice-over actors to dub in sound in post-production. "In a world filled with youtube shills, TorontoBuilder brings you the goods" read in the mellifluous tones of James Earl Jones.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
So, this one is again not as on topic for here (I might try doing a lathe video of some sort this weekend), but I was prepping blue box last night and decided to record a trick that I've been doing for a while with cardboard...I like how this video turned out:

LenVW

Premium Member
I see that you know quite a bit about drives and controllers for DC motors.
I am purely mechanical, but I read a lot.

I started looking into an Electric Ultra Lite, but have yet to find a small battery pack that will supply enough energy to power the Axial Flux motors for a one hour flight.

Still collecting information for that project.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

I started looking into an Electric Ultra Lite, but have yet to find a small battery pack that will supply enough energy to power the Axial Flux motors for a one hour flight.

I don't actually know that much lol my background is software development and I have a computer science degree though so a lot of control algorithms and such come very naturally to me.

An electric ultra lite would be super cool...though you're probably right, batteries aren't too energy dense yet compared to gas. Even the best lithium cells would be a struggle I'd imagine.

deleted_user

Super User

There are such battery packs available.

One of my projects is designing contrarotating propeller dual axial flux motors for use in powered paragliding. The key to my project is eliminating weight to leave more load for the battery pack. I'm also thinking modular packs that you can go light and bolt on more for longer flights.

I plan to use the similar motor design to my ebike design with the hollow spindle to run the cranks thru... except it will be a second motor shaft going thru for contrarotating prop.

LenVW

Premium Member
I used to fly Cessna 172’s and 152’s in the 1990s.

Electric propulsion has caught my eye since I did some work in Norway at the time of the Lillehammer Olympics (1994). I was doing a technology transfer to North America as part of a joint venture. Their electrical rates were so cheap that the energy input for extrusion plants was a small part of cost of production.

There has also been a few startups in Norway that have introduced electric planes.
An Ultra Lite with an hour flight duration would be OK for now.

The only manufacturers of Axial Flux motors that I have heard of are in Slovenia.
If you know of any in North America let me know.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been loosely following this project. Same 18650 Lion cells but some other tricks. Impressive speed but some of the key metrics have a ways to go. Sure would be a cool job.

deleted_user

Super User
I've been loosely following this project. Same 18650 Lion cells but some other tricks. Impressive speed but some of the key metrics have a ways to go. Sure would be a cool job.

I've been following this project that uses YASA axial flux motors