Here goes nothing...YouTube Channel

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
one day I will get one of these.

I have several top notch oscilloscopes (all Tectronixs or HP) in that category (100MHz Multichannel Storage). I also have two really nice higher frequency units. One will do signal analysis. My wife's instructions are to throw it in the hole with me!

In my old mind, I'd rather spend my money on a scope that uses a computer or tablet screen as a display. The smarts themselves don't take up a lot of space so why pay for a big screen that you already have. And frankly, my impression is that you mostly pay big bucks for the big screen.

Tonight, my scope showed me that the crankshaft sensor that the last shop installed had the wrong o-ring installed. The timing was off. The new sensors don't come with an o-ring installed, so they grabbed one out of their kit. It was fatter and didn't let the sensor seat into the bore properly, so the single bolt tab pulled it sideways, skewing the timing.

That's very similar to what first caused me to get mine too. I was the new guy in the troubleshooting group. Nobody could figure out why the newest computer controlled electronic control system was causing the engine to missfire on occasion. We had just bought a new storage scope and everyone was anxious to use it but nobody knew how. So I got the assignment. Skipping ahead quite a few steps, monitoring the ignition signal directly didn't help. It all looked pretty normal. But switching to storage mode, and waiting for a miss to happen, and then displaying the entire signal suddenly showed that the electronic controls of the time, which didn't really advance the timing, and instead simply delayed it from the previous spark by the complementary time allocation, was off enough to send the spark down the wrong spark plug cap wire. Fixed Distributor indexing was changed back to variable timing and problem was gone. We all became believers in storage scopes that day.

Never too late to learn :) in the end it's all voltage and current and resistance...just with a scope you can see wave forms and pulses rather than just a single numeric reading.

Well, if you are going to add resistance, then you should probably throw everything else into the stew too. Capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, ICs, etc etc etc.

But ya, you are absolutely right. A good scope breaks that single reading down into a signal that varies with time - in fact, very short periods of time. I won't say that a scope is my goto tester though. I almost always use a good multimeter first. The scope is a last resort and then only if I suspect a problem that warrants it. I don't even own one of those bulb style continuity testers. In my opinion, those things cause more grief than they fix. But it's just my opinion.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tool Test Tuesday again :)

I confess I didn't watch your video...... I'm just not a video watcher. Sorry about that.

BUT.... I LOVE my Dewalt 20V Impact Driver! Mine has never let me down yet! It's as good as any air gun I've used or owned. Although I don't own one of the really big ones. When I need one of those, I use a 6 ft Johnson bar with a big pipe on it instead.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I confess I didn't watch your video...... I'm just not a video watcher. Sorry about that.

BUT.... I LOVE my Dewalt 20V Impact Driver! Mine has never let me down yet! It's as good as any air gun I've used or owned. Although I don't own one of the really big ones. When I need one of those, I use a 6 ft Johnson bar with a big pipe on it instead.

No worries at all :) I don't expect everyone to watch all these videos I'm doing. It's just something I'm doing for fun and has lead to some more discussion which is great.

I have a half dozen Dewalt impacts of various types, this one is the newest of them and has quickly become my favorite. I do have their really big 899 high torque but I find it too bulky/heavy and really only use it when I need to do something outside of the house where I don't have a sufficient compressor...at home I almost always go for my IR 2135TiMax air impact if I need more guts. Though I do have a big honkin' 3/4" breaker bar for those few times that any of my impacts couldn't get the job done.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch I'm a bit of an impact whore...

View attachment 21094

Funny enough, I don't have any regular corded ones.

Holy Crap.

But truth is that I can't throw any stones..... I have at least 3 or four times that many. Too many to take pictures of. Some are in the barn, some upstairs in the house, some in the basement, some in the box in the back of my farm ATV and prolly some at my kids and neighbours places that may or may not ever come home.

So if you are an impact whore, I am a battery tool nympho. Not sure which is worse. (Minds out of the gutter guys!)

I have so many that I recently accused everyone within ear shot of stealing my 1/2 inch dewalt drill - only to discover (after reviewing all the evidence) that I never had one. I just wanted it so badly that I had come to believe I really had one. Sad. Just sad.

Then there are at least a dozen or so corded versions and a half dozen air tools.

My favs are all the big Dewalt 20V Brushless. Those are all NICE tools! Especially when some piece of farm equipment breaks down out in the field!

My second favs are my small 12V Milwaukee drill/drivers. I have 5 of just those plus a few others. Ever assemble any kit furniture, or put together something you made, or repair something with multiple screw types? If so, you need at least 2 and preferably 4 of these slick little units. Put a bit in each one that fits your screws fasteners or nuts and a drill or screw drill in another. Never wear out your arm or swap bits again. Just pick up one 12V tool after another. The job will be done 3 or 4 times as fast and you might even enjoy the task. They are simply amazing. All 4 of my kids got a drill and driver set for Xmas a few years ago. Easiest shopping I ever did. And they luv em too. You need to try a set of these and make a video. In my minds eye it could be very entertaining and useful too! Who doesn't assemble stuff and wish they had more hands?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm invested in another manufacturers architecture, firmware, whatever you want to call it... but I really need to get a bigger compressor and get me some air tools, they dont care what 1/4" hole you plug em into

Seriously though, I find dragging an air hose all over the place to be a real PIA. The Dewalt 20s are all competitive with standard air tools and have no hose. Ya, the bigger and vastly more expensive air tools are still king of the hill though.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I'm invested in another manufacturers architecture, firmware, whatever you want to call it... but I really need to get a bigger compressor and get me some air tools, they dont care what 1/4" hole you plug em into

I do still love my air tools but to @Susquatch 's point, cordless has come a long way and I use them probably more often. I have a good air setup, a 60 gallon 5hp Ingersoll Rand compressor piped in with black gas pipe and a retractable 50' reel, so it's easy in/out. There's just some tools that air can't be beat, especially die grinders and the power/weight of air impacts is still king. I can hold my IR 1/2" over my head under a car for a long time, the Dewalt gets heavy after a few bolts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do still love my air tools but to @Susquatch 's point, cordless has come a long way and I use them probably more often. I have a good air setup, a 60 gallon 5hp Ingersoll Rand compressor piped in with black gas pipe and a retractable 50' reel, so it's easy in/out. There's just some tools that air can't be beat, especially die grinders and the power/weight of air impacts is still king. I can hold my IR 1/2" over my head under a car for a long time, the Dewalt gets heavy after a few bolts.

Hmmmm...... Ever use one of these?

I think it beats air and a hose for both weight and flexibility.

For more ompfh, this Dewalt is unbeatable and has saved my bacon out in the farm field more often than I can count!

IMHO, the Dewalt in nothing short of amazing and the Milwaukee is handier than air for small jobs.

Ya,..... Cordless has come a long long way from the days of NiCads.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Hmmmm...... Ever use one of these?

I think it beats air and a hose for both weight and flexibility.

For more ompfh, this Dewalt is unbeatable and has saved my bacon out in the farm field more often than I can count!

IMHO, the Dewalt in nothing short of amazing and the Milwaukee is handier than air for small jobs.

Ya,..... Cordless has come a long long way from the days of NiCads.

I haven't tried the cordless die grinders...but if they're just like oversized dremels or like the cutout tool I have for drywall, I'll take the air powered version. I use my right angle one more than anything too.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a bunch of Makita 18v stuff, a bunch of snap on 14.4v stuff, and some Bosch 12v stuff. For interior car work, cordless is king. For undercar/suspension work, air is king. For engine work, i use both. There isn't an electric impact made that is as durable for long term professional use as any of the good air guns. Cant beat the portability of electric though. I have both IR and Snap On 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2" guns, several of each size in each brand, as I cannot afford downtime due to a broken gun. Hard to beat an IR QTI-Max. If i was starting over, I'd have bought Milwaukee M12 stuff for automotive/shop use, and only IR for air guns/ratchets..

I also use air die grinders every day. I have close to 20 of them, mostly IR. They get used a lot. I've tried the electric, I'll stick to air, hands down.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I have a bunch of Makita 18v stuff, a bunch of snap on 14.4v stuff, and some Bosch 12v stuff. For interior car work, cordless is king. For undercar/suspension work, air is king. For engine work, i use both. There isn't an electric impact made that is as durable for long term professional use as any of the good air guns. Cant beat the portability of electric though. I have both IR and Snap On 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2" guns, several of each size in each brand, as I cannot afford downtime due to a broken gun. Hard to beat an IR QTI-Max. If i was starting over, I'd have bought Milwaukee M12 stuff for automotive/shop use, and only IR for air guns/ratchets..

I also use air die grinders every day. I have close to 20 of them, mostly IR. They get used a lot. I've tried the electric, I'll stick to air, hands down.

Yup, I've been very happy with my IR stuff...most of my better air tools are IR. I do have a few that are Edge series including my die grinders, but the big impacts are the Ti stuff and I have their big long barrel air hammer too.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Yup, I've been very happy with my IR stuff...most of my better air tools are IR. I do have a few that are Edge series including my die grinders, but the big impacts are the Ti stuff and I have their big long barrel air hammer too.
Keep posting those ‘Tool Tuesdays’. They initiate good discussions and first-hand experiences from a range of users.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Keep posting those ‘Tool Tuesdays’. They initiate good discussions and first-hand experiences from a range of users.

For sure! I'm having fun doing these :)

General question: new thread per tool or just this long thread with random discussion? I don't want to pollute the forum but might make it easier for others to get engaged. I'll leave it up to you fine folks to decide.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I haven't tried the cordless die grinders...but if they're just like oversized dremels or like the cutout tool I have for drywall, I'll take the air powered version.

Not the same at all. I used to love the small battery powered Dremel Stylus for woodwork. It fit my hand like a glove and was like painting with a brush. But they discontinued them and I was heartbroken.

The other stuff is mostly junk in my opinion. But who knows, maybe I need to try a few more makes and models.

The 12V Milwaukee are awesome but not industrial. Just perfect for occasional handiman jobs.

I sculpt, and one of the most common things I sculpt is stone. I often use a small die grinder because hand filing with rasps on harder stones is next to impossible.

I never even imagined cutting stone with anything..... This I will have to try. I doubt anything battery powered (except maybe the Dewalt 20V) would cut that mustard.

What bit do you use for stone?

There isn't an electric impact made that is as durable for long term professional use as any of the good air guns.

I agree with that, but the price is also an order of magnitude different. My MAC air impact guns are bullet proof. I love them but I'm not a full-time user so I wouldn't pay full pop for a good one again. The air guns I have used that are the same price as battery are junk in no time. I'd rather use battery. I think your experience and advice is probably spot on for anyone who uses tools like that for a living.

Milwaukee M12 stuff for automotive/shop use,

Really? I love my 12V Milwaukees, but I never thought of them as something that might be suitable for full time auto shop use..... That's a new perspective for me. Maybe I need to give them a longer leash!

If I used air grinders enough to have 20 of them, I'd prolly share your view. Again, I have a MAC and I love it. But for most casual use I prefer the 12V Milwaukee or the 20V Dewalt for their totally unbeatable convenience and the ability to use them out in the field.

General question: new thread per tool or just this long thread with random discussion?

One uncertain vote for a new thread on each.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I agree with that, but the price is also an order of magnitude different. My MAC air impact guns are bullet proof. I love them but I'm not a full-time user so I wouldn't pay full pop for a good one again. The air guns I have used that are the same price as battery are junk in no time. I'd rather use battery. I think your experience and advice is probably spot on for anyone who uses tools like that for a living.

My last IR 2235 qtimax was right around 300 plus tax, 5 years ago. It gets used daily, still works like new. Its over 400 these days. My previous 2135 is 15 years old and is retired to the home shop. The anvil is worn, but still works great. An anvil is around $60 and 10 mins to install. In comparison, my SO 14.4v 3/8" gun has been rebuilt twice in 4 years. Its great for engine work on newer cars and interior stuff, but its not built heavy. It won't do lug nuts.

Really? I love my 12V Milwaukees, but I never thought of them as something that might be suitable for full time auto shop use..... That's a new perspective for me. Maybe I need to give them a longer leash!

I have a coworker who has milwaukee m12, while I have snap on 14.4 stuff. I have the 1/4" hex driver, 1/4" hex impact, two 1/4" ratchets, 1/4" sq impact, 3/8" impact. All of my stuff is 6 -7 years old or less, and with the exception of the last ratchet, all have been rebuilt at least once. His M12 stuff has been trouble free. Previously i used a Bosch 10..8v 1/4" hex impactor for everything from interior work to tranny pan bolts. It was bulletproof for about 8 years, then died. Recently i took it apart and cleaned the gunk out and it works fine now, and the batteries still work great almost 15 year later. I had replaced it with a Bosch 12v impactor and drill kit. The 10.8v and 12v batteries are interchangeable, as are the chargers. Very happy with the Bosch stuff.

If I used air grinders enough to have 20 of them, I'd prolly share your view. Again, I have a MAC and I love it. But for most casual use I prefer the 12V Milwaukee or the 20V Dewalt for their totally unbeatable convenience and the ability to use them out in the field.

I might have a different view if i had M12 stuff, i'd probably buy a M12 grinder, just to have. I could see it being handy at times. My coworker does have one. It couldn't replace air for my uses but might be nice to have just the same.