Here goes nothing...YouTube Channel

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't know much about AF but it seems to have the attention of some big names. Exciting times. Battery weight / energy density is still a challenge but of course that's very application specific & development is ever evolving. OK I better stop, this post is about a YouTube channel, sorry.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Did another #shorts unboxing of a different piece of siglent test equipment, tried to pace this one a bit better with making less unboxing and more of the scope in action. Though still no talking or description, that I'll save for a review on the bench equipment if anything as a proper full length video.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
You have to explain what you are going to use the scope for.
That area of signal analysis is NEW to me.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A multichannel scope can SHOW you things, that nothing else can. I'm an auto tech. I've had a BMW in my shop for a bit with some electrical issues that i'd have never found without a scope. Tonight, my scope showed me that the crankshaft sensor that the last shop installed had the wrong o-ring installed. The timing was off. The new sensors don't come with an o-ring installed, so they grabbed one out of their kit. It was fatter and didn't let the sensor seat into the bore properly, so the single bolt tab pulled it sideways, skewing the timing.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
You have to explain what you are going to use the scope for.
That area of signal analysis is NEW to me.

Basically any electronic signal (at least under 100mhz...aka computer cpu speed from the 90's...for this scope) you can visualize and "see" what it's doing.

The two little clips in the video with stuff on the screen, the one with the yellow and purple wave forms is showing the RC PWM signal that I was suspecting was the problem with the robot build (motor driver doesn't like that signal). So seeing it on the scope, it has proven that that is the case and that the RC receiver is sending a not so normal PWM. It's also cool how the two channels are related, apparently that's a remnant of RC control signals before they were fully digital. The other clip is the RPM sensing lead off a computer fan running at various speeds...those pulses are what tells the computer how fast the fan is turning.

I haven't used one in around 15 years, but getting into this stuff it was just time to bite the bullet and have some actual lab equipment.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Jeeez i can barely understand my multi meter let alone what these things do. o_O

Never too late to learn :) in the end it's all voltage and current and resistance...just with a scope you can see wave forms and pulses rather than just a single numeric reading.

LenVW

Premium Member
The whole signal generation and control can be utilized in such a variety of applications.
I used to design the equipment that sophisticated PLCs would control with the use of rotary encoders, motor controllers and wireless technology.
Everyday was an education in controlling a manufacturing process and how we could monitor it to improve next generation of machines.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Quick one I made just for you guys today...how I've made it so I can move my lathe:

I pulled it out to move the cord to come out the side rather than the back (and replaced the crap PVC cord with SOOW) and just tidy up some of the wiring as well. I knew the previous owner had changed the motor out and the wiring wasn't that nice, but I finally had a closer look and it's a 2.25hp motor rather than the original 1.5hp, so decent little upgrade in power.

LenVW

Premium Member
Did the boys at BB-Mississauga treat you OK.
I stop in there, too often, to get accessories for my mill.

The 2.25 hp motor must be an off-shore brand.
NEMA does not list a frame size for it.

Nice little lathe though.
What are you turning ?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Did the boys at BB-Mississauga treat you OK.
I stop in there, too often, to get accessories for my mill.

The 2.25 hp motor must be an off-shore brand.
NEMA does not list a frame size for it.

Nice little lathe though.
What are you turning ?

I bought the lathe used from a guy on facebook marketplace, never been to busy bee. I'm sure it's an offshore motor.

you bastard, you made that just to taunt me. I want that set-up for our lathe but my brother complained that we have too many other things to do first
:) it wasn't too hard but did take a day to build the little brackets and drill some holes and whatnot. Worth it though to be able to move equipment easily when I need to in my tiny garage.

Everett

Super User
I saw your scope video thumbnail come up in my subbed new video list, but still binging on Max Grant's videos for the last few months trying to catch up with his stuff. My son is old enough now that he wants to watch stuff too so my watch time to keep track of friends is lessened, lol.

I would like a DSO some day, for the time being I have a 30-year-old Fluke 4-channel analog unit that works great but doesn't have a lot of the newer features. Can't complain for the price I got it for (about a song and a half) but it would be fun to try something newer at some point. I'm still an amateur with electronic stuff though, with too many other hobbies clamoring for the fun budget, lol.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
We've seen the whole shop now.

My garage has my car and floor to ceiling storage at the far end. I was going to redo everything this past summer but lumber prices were insane. I do like this design. I just may have enough room to put in a folding workbench like this. In fact I've seen a wood table like this, I just can't recall where at the moment. Maybe it was ikea.

You are putting some thought into your shop. I saw stills of your upper storage shelves they're very well done too

Tour would be to talk through all the bits...you probably haven't seen the car lift yet ;) or the 60 gallon IR compressor, or a few other interesting bits.

Either way, I'm having fun with sharing with you guys my random work in video form, you've been a great audience!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some neat ideas & fabrication skills on your foldout bench. I've had similar visions but more for a welding / hot stuff table. It would be nice to have one with threaded fixture holes or clamp slats like the cool kids, but I think a dedicated stationary table is for people who weld a lot more frequently than I expect to. So the trick becomes how to hide one & make it appear when the need arises. Unfortunately I have limited wall space like you were able to utilize. I was thinking like a pullout from under existing bench top but didn't have a good feel for quick legs like you implemented.

Was your welding with MIG, TIG or ?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Some neat ideas & fabrication skills on your foldout bench. I've had similar visions but more for a welding / hot stuff table. It would be nice to have one with threaded fixture holes or clamp slats like the cool kids, but I think a dedicated stationary table is for people who weld a lot more frequently than I expect to. So the trick becomes how to hide one & make it appear when the need arises. Unfortunately I have limited wall space like you were able to utilize. I was thinking like a pullout from under existing bench top but didn't have a good feel for quick legs like you implemented.

Was your welding with MIG, TIG or ?
Thanks!

I have a Miller 30FX Arcstation and the matching clamps for it that go in the slats, so I use that more for welding than this. This one I use mostly for grinding/cutting (either portaband stand or dry cut saw or 12" disc sander or similar) than welding, though I did weld a bit on it when I was doing my shelving due to the length of the pieces. The folding bench was built to match the height of the Miller table so I can use them together.

Wall space wise, I park two vehicles in the garage at night and so I can't have anything sticking out on that wall...hence this worked nicely and I left the wall space open when I was hanging other things on this wall.

Welding was all MIG on my Miller Multimatic 215, 0.30" solid core with C25 shielding gas.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
So I'm starting a Tool Test Tuesday segment on the channel, including giving tools a "Tool Score"...first review went up today:

And here's a rundown of how it works:

Let me know what you think or if there's any tools I have that you'd like to see reviewed (e.g. my lathe or any measuring instruments or whatnot).