• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Here goes nothing...YouTube Channel

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Another slightly off topic short...but thermal imaging is a lot of fun to play with:

If you guys want to see anything specifically under a thermal imager (only does photos, not videos, but is a 320x240 pixel imager) let me know :)

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Off topic-ish, but I upgraded cameras...picked up the new Nikon Z30 entry level mirrorless camera that is designed for video more so than photography. Hopefully makes the quality of the videos I'm doing a bit better and less to fight with in post editing :)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Off topic-ish, but I upgraded cameras...picked up the new Nikon Z30 entry level mirrorless camera that is designed for video more so than photography. Hopefully makes the quality of the videos I'm doing a bit better and less to fight with in post editing :)

What do you use for post editing?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
What do you use for post editing?
Davinci Resolve...it's kinda like Fusion 360 for video editing, free but nearly fully featured. There's a Studio version that has a few more plugins but I have yet to hit the limits of what it can do (more specifically I've yet to scratch the surface).

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I tried to download it. Got to the point of select country from list. No country on the list. Click on register and it goes back to home menu. Nothing happens.
Yeah, the registration step is a bit weird...but I think you had one more link to click somewhere. I just updated to 18 yesterday (was on 17 before), but the download went fine for me.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yeah, the registration step is a bit weird...but I think you had one more link to click somewhere. I just updated to 18 yesterday (was on 17 before), but the download went fine for me.
The clue was that it wouldn't allow me to select country. There were no countries on the list. I restarted the browser and disabled adblocker and then I was able to complete the registration and download. Once done I reloaded the page and renabled adblocker for it. Withing seconds it told me it had blocked 12 ads.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
The clue was that it wouldn't allow me to select country. There were no countries on the list. I restarted the browser and disabled adblocker and then I was able to complete the registration and download. Once done I reloaded the page and renabled adblocker for it. Withing seconds it told me it had blocked 12 ads.
Yup, adblock can do some funny things on certain pages/places. I can't load the one thread here talking about ads with mine enabled.

What are your plans with Davinci Resolve? Going to join the CHM's youtubers club? lol

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I had video editing software on the older WIN-XP system when I first designed and built my ELS. Added titles etc. to the videos. But somewhere along the WIN-7 period that software stopped working and since then I've never really dug back into video editing. Now, as I look at some of the ones I've made I'd like to be able to edit in screen shots and multiple scenes etc.

But the last thing I want to do is create 22.375433332221111 minutes of boring talk talk talk talk say nothing nothing nothing.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I had video editing software on the older WIN-XP system when I first designed and built my ELS. Added titles etc. to the videos. But somewhere along the WIN-7 period that software stopped working and since then I've never really dug back into video editing. Now, as I look at some of the ones I've made I'd like to be able to edit in screen shots and multiple scenes etc.

But the last thing I want to do is create 22.375433332221111 minutes of boring talk talk talk talk say nothing nothing nothing.

Cool, yeah, Resolve will do that no problem....there's a bit of a learning curve (it is a pro/commercial type editing software), but it's pretty awesome once you get the hang of it.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
The rest of the Nikon stuff showed up...you have to wonder if they ever test these things? Has a bunch of problems, the screen hits the mic cable, the remote doesn't stay paired, there's no easy way to remove the remote from the tripod, and just generally seems half assed :(

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
New video up on the DJI RS3 Gimbal:

These things are pretty damn cool, just magic how they track movement so well...the accelerometers they are using are impressive!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Little Fluid Film action this past weekend:

Have been doing it for 6 years on the one vehicle, it's almost completely rust free still :)

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I fluid filmed/rust checked/ whatever we had on hand my last truck every time i had it on the hoist , 2-3 times a year for maintenence. It was a 2004 Ram 2500 and it was rust free when i sold it in 2019.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That was a good video. I bought an aerosol can more out of curiosity & a few prospective applications. You made me think of a few more. My winter tire steel rims expose the threaded spindle hub (or whatever its called). Its quite rusty already, or maybe has been all along when hidden behind the summer rim. And ya the door hinge hardware & things like that. Now that I see the texture, maybe that's what service guys are using.

My Honda snowblower had rust on metalwork & fittings when I did some service work. But I'm not sure how the coating would last with more direct contact to snow moving past. Maybe it would resist ice buildup & benefit that way? My blower chute is like powder coated metal with springs & hinge stuff. But its the rotating plastic housing that gets sticky. Again I wasn't sure if the fluid film would turn into highly viscous sticky stuff so I shot some Teflon spray which is thin but worked well. Anyway, blah-blah. What I wanted to ask is how do you remove fluid film when you want to? I heard even strong solvents like lacquer thinner just slowly thins & smears it. I also heard overspray or drips stains concrete floors. Any experience there?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
That was a good video. I bought an aerosol can more out of curiosity & a few prospective applications. You made me think of a few more. My winter tire steel rims expose the threaded spindle hub (or whatever its called). Its quite rusty already, or maybe has been all along when hidden behind the summer rim. And ya the door hinge hardware & things like that. Now that I see the texture, maybe that's what service guys are using.

My Honda snowblower had rust on metalwork & fittings when I did some service work. But I'm not sure how the coating would last with more direct contact to snow moving past. Maybe it would resist ice buildup & benefit that way? My blower chute is like powder coated metal with springs & hinge stuff. But its the rotating plastic housing that gets sticky. Again I wasn't sure if the fluid film would turn into highly viscous sticky stuff so I shot some Teflon spray which is thin but worked well. Anyway, blah-blah. What I wanted to ask is how do you remove fluid film when you want to? I heard even strong solvents like lacquer thinner just slowly thins & smears it. I also heard overspray or drips stains concrete floors. Any experience there?

You're right, it's not going to stay put like paint/powdercoat on a surface that is being constantly hit by moving snow. It works fine for spray from the road/tires and as you can see, hasn't washed off after a year on the underside of most of the vehicle. Storing in the off season is where I'd be using it mostly on a snowblower or parts that aren't in the main auger assembly.

I can't say it's stained my floors anywhere that I've noticed, but I'm not dropping tons of it and nothing drips off the vehicles when I spray them. Its consistency stays constant with temperature, doesn't run when hot really and doesn't solidify/tackify when cold. As for removing it, I haven't ever had to completely? The only reason I could see needing to is for painting something, at which point just paper towel to remove the bulk of it and acetone usually handles the rest of cleaning metal for paint for me.

IMO, worst case, you've spent $15 on a can and slowed rust for a little while...worth giving it a try!