Fusion 3D Trials & Tribulations

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
This was the cheaper Basic Series PLA. Extruding at 215C and 70C bed temp. I could try a slightly lower bed temperature.

BTW, this is one of the most frustrating parts of 3D printing. One object prints perfectly after being in the dehumdifier overnight. Then next part lifts and has problems with a different filament that was also in the dehumidifier overnight.
Yeah, been there. Its not the filament humidity - that really only affects the appearance unless the moisture content is off the scale somehow.

So my solution to avoiding bed release & warping is quite reliable (so far....).
(assumes you have the extruder flow & temp, etc correct to start with)
I use a glass bed plate.
Clean it and add a film of Bedweld or Wolfbite: Amazoom product
Heat the bed to the recommended temp +5C
For ABS/ASA/Nylons you must use a hood or cover to maintain a 30C+ ambient environment
Print a thick, wide Layer1. eg 150% width, 90% thickness. This presses the first layer onto the bed.
Print slowly at the correct UPPER temperature for the filament for the first few layers. Say 60% speed.
Increase print speed for layers 3+ AND reduce the bed temp by -5C

Let the bed cool before releasing.

:) always allow for the learning curve !

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Each length can be a distinct value like 1.000" or 25.4mm and each dimension is assigned a number. Like D2, D3 etc. Now imagine this new length you want to set is D4. You could set it to be 1.000". Or it could be D2*4. If D2 is 0.25" then D4 is 1.000". Same value but D4 is now dependant on the parameter D2. That's why it's called parametric CAD.
Make sense?

Perfectly.

But why the fancy name "parametric"? That's just plain old relative dimensions.

Print scaling should do the same thing for simple stuff. It just falls apart when only SOME dimensions are parametric. Eg overall dimensions change but holes and features don't.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Perfectly.

But why the fancy name "parametric"? That's just plain old relative dimensions.

Print scaling should do the same thing for simple stuff. It just falls apart when only SOME dimensions are parametric. Eg overall dimensions change but holes and features don't.
I'm not sure other than the term 'parameter' controls dimensions of the drawing based on a 'parameter'. Doesn't have to be all the drawings. It's a good question for one of the CAD forums.

Although I've done some drawings with sizes based on other dimensions this is the first one I've ever done where one single dimension controls the overall size, height etc. It became a challenge to change the width (diameter of cutter plus 10mm) and have the height,width change and the fill piece and even the two slots underneath all change size. The width of the cutter slots remain the same as well as the spacing between them.

Great fun!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I rarely use sketches. start with clay, add, subtract, split offset... etc... then KILL the history .. (kill is my favorite button.. kills the tree)

At the previous mold shop a basic mold base was controlled by a spreadsheet. I never did expressions myself. Just used the startup sequence to literally design a simple mold in less than 10 minutes, including all plates just based on the part size..... On the modeling of parting lines, It is usually kept dumb (not parametric)...
Parametric also refers to interpart relationships. If you move something in assembly (like a fastener). all effected components should get updated automagically. This is what differentiates history based modelling from dumb models..

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I rarely use sketches. start with clay, add, subtract, split offset... etc... then KILL the history .. (kill is my favorite button.. kills the tree)

That sounds more like Catia. You don't start with 2D and morph that into 3D. You start with 3D solids that you shape as appropriate.

Does Fusion have clay and kill functions?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Another thing I'm confused about. My Documents on the cloud seem to separate drawings from designs.

That might be why the drawings don't update as I change the design. This really sucks. I don't want to have to redo drawings every time I make a change.

Also, does anyone know if the drawings eat into my 10 file limit?

Tecnico

(Dave)
Another thing I'm confused about. My Documents on the cloud seem to separate drawings from designs.

That might be why the drawings don't update as I change the design. This really sucks. I don't want to have to redo drawings every time I make a change.

Also, does anyone know if the drawings eat into my 10 file limit?

I don’t know about Fusion but other systems I’ve used “know” the address (file location) of the model file and the drawing file pulls the data from the model even if it’s not open so the drawing should match the model. All bets are off if you move the model some place the drawing doesn’t know where to find it. Again, in other systems you can go in and tell it where you moved the model file to.

Just to state the (maybe not) obvious, the STEP file will only be the model geometry, not the drawing.

D :cool:

gerritv

Gerrit
You drawing file will show this little warning triangle at top of screen when you save the model: I have all file related to a project in one folder. Also I generally have all parts for a design in one file, thus limiting the interaction with the 10 active file limit in free version. I know some don't like that approach but even on a moderately powerful desktop PC I can play with an entire model of a Grizzly G0602 lathe down to every bolt nut and washer.
Screenshot 2023-12-22 111101.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 111502.png

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sharing a direct link is easy:

You must have the free version too. If you look at your second photo, you will see that the box for "Allow item to be downloaded" is grayed out. That's the problem here. Others can see my file on line but they can't download it.

That's why I provided the exported files.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know some don't like that approach but even on a moderately powerful desktop PC I can play with an entire model of a Grizzly G0602 lathe down to every bolt nut and washer.

Ya, I'd be one of them. But if you can load an entire lathe into one file, it will be WAAAAY more than I'll ever need!

Where in the world did you get the file for the Grizzly Lathe? That sounds like something worth having!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don’t know about Fusion but other systems I’ve used “know” the address (file location) of the model file and the drawing file pulls the data from the model even if it’s not open so the drawing should match the model. All bets are off if you move the model some place the drawing doesn’t know where to find it. Again, in other systems you can go in and tell it where you moved the model file to.

Just to state the (maybe not) obvious, the STEP file will only be the model geometry, not the drawing.

D :cool:

That's a big help to know Dave.

Since all of Fusion's data files are on their cloud, I don't think the location is a problem. There is no place else I can put it.

I had assumed the step file (and the F3D File) might contain everything.

gerritv

Gerrit
You must have the free version too. If you look at your second photo, you will see that the box for "Allow item to be downloaded" is grayed out. That's the problem here. Others can see my file on line but they can't download it.

That's why I provided the exported files.
You could always create a Team, this should allow collaboration e.g. with the lessons from Janger.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You drawing file will show this little warning triangle at top of screen when you save the model:

Yes, that's the same triangle I was referring to except that mine also shows up beside every dimension In the drawing. The dimensions are also the old ones.

My impression is that the drawing remembers what the numbers were when you made the drawing, and also knows that you changed them since then, but can't find them.

There must be a way to update the drawing without having to redo all the dimensions.