Do you have a mill and what kind is it?

What type of mill do you have?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mbond

Premium Member
and here I have a setup for milling across stock that I can rotate on the vertical table. I just set this up for the camera, but the milling can be done perpendicular, longitudinally, or at an angle to the stock to produce different patterns

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
and here I have a setup for milling across stock that I can rotate on the vertical table. I just set this up for the camera, but the milling can be done perpendicular, longitudinally, or at an angle to the stock to produce different patterns

The versatility of that whole rig is amazing. My two buddies don't go anywhere near using their machines to that extent. Very impressive. Can't wait to show them.

Thank you

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I also have the MD45. :)
FYI - I was at Modern Tool yesterday finalizing arrangements for our meetup. They have a MD45 in stock and it is one of the machines being demonstrated at the April 6 meetup in Newmarket.
They will also have a 11x26 lathe set up for us to try (it is behind the MD45 in the attached picture).
Meetup attendees will be allowed to operate (test drive) any machine being demoed. As well as the above mentioned machines will be a new Modern Tool 1440 lathe.
More meetup details TBA.
DDD2CF33-E50D-491E-9135-077A32597BFF.jpeg

ChazzC

This thread is a poll to determine the range of mills that our members have. If the poll questions are not adequate, please provide additional comments below.
LMS 3990 Mini-Mill with a 2" Riser (and like the Mini-Lathe, a number of updates). When I win the lottery I'll upgrade to a PM (probably) Bench Mill.

Martin w

I have a John Deere, lol. I mean K&T 2HL vertical mill and a Giddings and Lewis horizontal boring mill. K&T has a 40 nmtb taper G&L has Morse #5 and Morse #4 on the high speed spindle, but it is set up with PDQ quick change tooling.
Yes I know I’m eccentric for having these in my barn. The boring mill is 21,500 pounds. Price was right so I grabbed it. It’s behind the old Ottawa Saw in the picture.
Martin
IMG_1821.jpeg
IMG_3735.jpeg

Bandit

Super User
Teeth are abit course for metal, "Martin w". That would be a bit noisy in the shop! Haven't seen one of them saws for a few years. What did you put on the other side of the shop to balance the boring mill?

Martin w

Teeth are abit course for metal, "Martin w". That would be a bit noisy in the shop! Haven't seen one of them saws for a few years. What did you put on the other side of the shop to balance the boring mill?
Bandit, the boring mill is in the middle. That’s what holds the concrete floor down.:)
Yeah the old Ottawa doesn’t do so well on steel,! People were strapping, hardy and rugged back in the day to use that.
Martin