• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Do you have a mill and what kind is it?

What type of mill do you have?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Time for a bit of analysis. What did we learn?

Wow! Talk about surprises. VERY different from the Lathe story.

My first big surprise was the obvious elephant in the shop. Over half of our active members have a big Knee mill. 41 out of 71 or 58%. Looked at another way, about half have floor machines and half have bench mills.

20 of 71 (28%) have square column mills - both small and large

16 of 71 (22%) have round column mills.

The other end of the spectrum had other surprises.

Only one member had a combination lathe/mill. Given that several of my friends have combination machines, this was a huge surprise for me. I had expected the waterfront to be split pretty evenly between large knee mills, square column, round column, and combination.

Only two members have bench knee mills. Given how much I love these machines, I was again quite surprised. But maybe I should not be. Bench top Knee mills are not easy to find.

I was not at all surprised to see how many (5 of 71) didn't have a mill at all. I've always believed a machinist should get a lathe first and then a mill. It looks like our membership thinks so too.

Only 6 members have CNC. I expected WWWAAAYY more CNC.

Oddly, all three members with x-y tables on their drill press also have regular mills too.

Looking at it from the other end, there are 98 mills spread across 66 members. an average of 1.5 mills per member having a mill.

All-in-all, another very informative survey even with all the surprises.

Obviously not perfect again, but I'm still happy we did it.

A HUGE Thank you to everyone who contributed.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well done review of the survey results.
Thanks Susq.
So who really cares?
Well it represents the make up of the Forum - so I guess we all should.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Susquatch I'm not suggesting for a moment that I knew your mill survey would produse the analysis you arrived at, however over the past 5 years while convalescing from multable surgeries my life-line to the outside world was my PC mostly readng and following forum threads.

After two years of my being held in sick-bay it became obvious to me there were two main groups of mills users, the lighter hobby group and the heavy user group.

That said, your analysis provides excellant insight on forum mill users big or small where ever they be.

Well done and thank you on behalf of forum members.

Chipper5783

Maho MH600 is one of the little European multimills, with most of the available attachments (and a second one in case I ever need a replacement part, so far it is just parked in the corner)
Cincinnati 1D Toolmaster
Huron KU3 with the all angle head
Bridgeport VMC1000/22 4 axis

justin1

Super User
I have a nice sized king 1050vs milling machine 10x50 table runs on 3phase 550 volt 5 HP motor which which is wierd voltage but that's what motor wants just not very VFD friendly.

Attachments

• IMG_20230206_205155415.jpg
    IMG_20230206_205155415.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 8

Upnorth

Late to the game but I have a Novakon Torus Pro and a Hercus (V300?) both CNC. The Novakon is running but the Hercus is not. I removed the unreliable Mach 3 based control and it will be replaced by a centroid acorn.