• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
I needed a place to keep a notepad at the mill so a little cut and chop on a bit of aluminium (1/8 plate) and attached it to one of the head bolts. Until I find a better clamp to hold the notepad a spring clamp will have to do.
This machine is like mine. Just different color.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
David - we bought our mills within a couple of days of each other.
YYC - The mill is a KBC branded 830 (8x30 inch table) dated 1995 so it's one of the generic Taiwan machines. Sure beats the old hacksaw and file method and just a bit more accurate.
Marc - what is the brand on yours?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Since we are on mill improvements and I was showing mine some love for the surfacing of my son’s exhaust manifold - I finally completed the base on mine.

I made the base so I could “theoretically move” my mill - hahahahaha - cough - :D

But it has found its place and I needed to level it and get it on some firm support. Watching the you tube there is a set of Bridgeport type machine leveles with some rubber feet. I upped the construction a bit and it is all tied into my original base.
Pads are 1/2” x 4” plate with 3/4” pipe welded on. Jack bolts are 1”-8 tpi threaded rod.
7345A90C-1E7F-44FB-A5AB-4561B2F5FA57.jpeg
4D9FAD86-4793-4FEE-B881-1810DEA2DEBA.jpeg
782B61CB-A711-499F-9ADC-DCA24D88C01A.jpeg

Attachments

• 21537447-E2CE-4EEA-AF28-7778EFBA4840.jpeg
    21537447-E2CE-4EEA-AF28-7778EFBA4840.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 0

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Nice work Brent H. Did you uses 'sintered iron or machined steel' casters? What load do the casters carry? Bill

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Dusty : the load for the castors was 750 lbs each. The mill was approximately 2300 lbs plus accessories and a table load max of 750 lbs. (I think) The castors are from princess auto (4”) size. Concept was to allow the castors to include a bit of movement if required and the feet would lock things down.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Dusty : the load for the castors was 750 lbs each. The mill was approximately 2300 lbs plus accessories and a table load max of 750 lbs. (I think) The castors are from princess auto (4”) size. Concept was to allow the castors to include a bit of movement if required and the feet would lock things down.

How did you get a 2300 lb mill into that tray????

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist
How did you get a 2300 lb mill into that tray????

1. ask very politely
2. Spread some swarf in the opening and wait for it to jump
3. Have a neighbour as nutty as yourself that happens to own a fork truck :p

When I bought the mill I went to the steel store and bought some 6X4 x 1/2” angle and welded up the base. When I got the mill home (The next day) my neighbour boogied over in his fork truck (he bought about 2 days prior :cool:) and we lowered the mill in. Took a bit to move all the stuff around my shop so it could fit.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
This morning I made a handful of nuts for my strap clamp set. They are good high carbon steel so they should outlast a regular nut. I machined them out of round stock and made them to match the cheap strap clamp set for the milling machine.
20200601_091052.jpg

Johnwa

Ultra Member
For casting enthusiasts, the Gingery series of books uses a split nut casting to drive the lead screw..... same concept

Pretty fine cast required, I ended up welding mine, tapped a thread in some pipe, then surgically cut out the pieces and welded it in place.

Your way is cleaner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn’t really happy with my first version. @kevin.decelles mention of the Gingery nut gave me an idea. Here is version 2. I think it is easier to make this way. This time I also managed to weld it at an angle that tends to force thread engagement. CDFEF52C-C683-48F3-AFA3-68134F213F0C.jpeg 134C1F3B-C871-4F07-BF2D-7AA9CA9CA880.jpeg

Tom O

Ultra Member
For all the metal casters Johnson & Johnson is discontinuing talc in their baby powder so if that is what you use for parting powder it’s best to stock up.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Well I am back to Work but before I left I finished a steel pan for my welding table. The pan fits under the table and will collect anything falling through the table clamp holes and - (once home again) will be fitted with spacers to hold parts when using the plasma cutter.
The table slides out either side.
B7D46EAC-0D89-4BFE-96C0-628ACF4EEDCC.jpeg
2B9FD8C3-29B6-4D8B-B684-F7E214B9B83F.jpeg
D6D82D13-6357-4A3C-BF65-A0CE752F6A05.jpeg
Should work well.