• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Could you put more picture of your project I really want to make one . When I cut small piece I have to put something the same size at the other end to get an equal pressure on the vise . If you don't do it this way there is a chance your small part jump out the vise . Broke your blade or jam the saw or get hurt . Thank you

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
When somebody make a patent an other person will make something different for the same utility. Sorry for my english I have a hard time .

Can't say I have seen an aftermarket one offered for sale but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Apparently some bands saws come with extended jaws as an accessory. It's an easy item to make up and mount.

Craig

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@Marc Moreau
after Craig made his I did mine as well. I had a nice piece of 1/2” angle so I made a new movable jaw. I was able to drill a couple more holes in the fixed jaw so it would be closer to the blade.

francist

Super User
I sometimes clamp my small fixture plate into the bandsaw vise and then use strap clamps (milling clamps) to hold small or odd-shaped parts to be cut. It works well for me. My fixture plate is nothing special — just a piece of 1/2” thick aluminum with a bunch of 5/16”-18 tapped holes in it — but it’s super handy.

-frank

DF31960A-BBF4-43C8-BC00-7E6854610744.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The intermediary clamping plates are a great idea. They work great on flat/rectangular stock but don't work quite as well holding short nubs of cylindrical stock though. That's where either the modified jaw solution close to the blade is a bit easier. Or alternatively I have just clamped my lathe chuck in the band saw jaws with the part in that. But try & prevent saw chips from entering the jaw scroll or remember clean it afterwards.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Harold Hall Tap Guide Blocks
You guys know Harold Hall books? They are full of good stuff. I just bought another one of his books - Model Engineers' workshop projects. New old stock from book depository in England. (It took 3 weeks to get here... ) cheaper. Anyway he has these simple tap guide blocks in his book and I thought I could 3d print those pretty easily and I bet they would work just fine... So I got busy and here is an imperial version for 1/4,5/16,3/8, & 1/2 NC taps. I tapped a few 3/8-16 holes and I would say they work pretty well. Definitely keeps the tap straighter than I typically can by hand.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4490402

IMG_5397.jpg IMG_5398.jpg IMG_5395.JPG IMG_5394.JPG

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Johnwa found me a PDF of #39. Great stuff in there. I have a zip file containing 207 Model Engineer issues but it's too large to attach. Can you post it if I email it to you?

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
On Saturday I went from this:
9eedc0ecbe90436a23f8887a592cab12.jpg

To this:
cab91416eaeea8cafbcb0de30ce988de.jpg

First of three walls wired, sheeted and painted. Two more to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk